GDT: Canucks host the Preds - 7:30 - TSN, NHLN-US

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Re: GDT: Canucks host the Preds - 7:30 - TSN, NHLN-US

Post by Kikbutt_10 »

I only saw the last six minutes of the 2nd period, but I think BOTH penalties were absurd! Ohlund takes a clear elbow to the face, has ONE hand on his stick and half hooks/slaps I think it was Ward(?)'s hand, then the ref pulls him off for hooking with an open cut dripping blood from his forehead?!?! Sundin puts some tough love on Tootoo and gets crosschecking? I mean it didn't cause ANY king of whiplash effect (not too mention Tootoo embelished it, surprise surprise...), I don't remember this being part of the infractions crackdown discussions? Hooking holding OK, but you can't even lay some wood on a guy in the corner anymore?

Well that's my rant on the 6min or so I was able to watch, the PK looked terrible though anyway. I think I'm just pissed the Nucks aren't winning...
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Sundin should be ashamed taking the break off, he took a step back tonight.

PK was bad, but there was a fair degree of luck involved for the Preds. Sure you make your own luck, but sometimes it's tough not to notice things going against us.

Agreed on the refereeing, but usually throughout a year you get back as much as they take away. Sure they suck, but they normally suck fairly overall.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Linden Is God wrote:You know this has to be crossing everyone's mind right now, but I think AV is done pretty soon. This is a horrible losing streak and something has to give. It's too bad because I'm an AV fan.
It's obvious they just aren't listening to him anymore. I think MG gives him til the end of the year, that quite possibly flushes this one away, but gives them a whipping boy in the off season.

I heard Ferrarro was all over Sundin. Good. It's about time someone called this guy out on his terrible play. They were saying he's taken 8 penalties, 3 of which have led to game winners, 1 of them (last night) leads to the tying goal. The guy is officially hurting this team. Hopefully he turns it around, but after 8 games he's showing little improvement.

As far his penalty is concerned....that's an easy call to make. 6'5 dude crosschecking a smaller player from behind near the boards, ummmm yeah, that's a penalty folks.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Oh come on, how is it obvious they aren't listening to him anymore? I acknowledge the team is shit right now, but that doesn't mean the coach is to blame, there's no inherent truth there. The issue is a combination of Sundin not being ready or able (he is skill wise are best player outside the crease), stupid defensive play and, yes, some particularly bad luck. If you can show me AV in practice not telling his defense man to simplify the game then I'll give you some credo. He's clearly noticing issues, he put Sundin on the wing last night with Kesler and Burrows to minimize his "liabilities" due to being f'n slow as a snail. AV is clearly still alert and trying things, he benched everyone's favorite whipping boy Raymond. I'm not sure what else you can do. What's the new guy going to try?
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

They were out-hit, out-shot and out-skated, and the 29th worst PP in the NHL seemingly scored at will. That was a grim performance. Luongo seemed focused, but he also seemed to be getting frustrated with the poor defensive play of his teammates.

At this point, it doesn't matter if Vignault is the problem or not, something will be done by management and soon.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

the toucan kid wrote:Oh come on, how is it obvious they aren't listening to him anymore? I acknowledge the team is shit right now, but that doesn't mean the coach is to blame, there's no inherent truth there. The issue is a combination of Sundin not being ready or able (he is skill wise are best player outside the crease), stupid defensive play and, yes, some particularly bad luck. If you can show me AV in practice not telling his defense man to simplify the game then I'll give you some credo. He's clearly noticing issues, he put Sundin on the wing last night with Kesler and Burrows to minimize his "liabilities" due to being f'n slow as a snail. AV is clearly still alert and trying things, he benched everyone's favorite whipping boy Raymond. I'm not sure what else you can do. What's the new guy going to try?
What other options do they have? As the coach of the team, any professional team, you are responsible for the teams' performance. It's pretty obvious that the team hears what he's saying, they are not implementing it. I don't think he's telling them to suck, but he has to take the blame for it.

Sometimes its the change of command that will get guys going, sometimes its new ideas, but most of the time it's just the wake-up call that comes with the realisation that your shit play has cost someone their job.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Doesn't have to take the blame...might end up having to take the fall though.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

the toucan kid wrote:Doesn't have to take the blame...might end up having to take the fall though.
Why else would you fire a coach. He dosn't score goals, set up assists, stop pucks or throw hits. He designs the teams' game plan, AV's is not being executed...and if it is obviously it's a shit plan because we're not doing so well.

Bieksa might be the one giving the puck away, but why is AV putting him in a position where a tape to tape pass has to be made, why isn't it off the glass and out? Why aren't the wingers back for more support?

Why does he have Sundin setting up on the half boards (near the point I might add) during the PP and little Kyle Wellwood in front of the net?

These are coaching decisions. The team wears the record, the coach is responsible for the team.

I like AV, he's funny. But you can't lose 1/10th of your teams home games in a row. It's just not an option. He cannot escape blame. Not to mention his golfing analogy (having to work on the swing etc.) is a little bit rediculous considering that's exactly where he's got us heading.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I think you're carrying the ability of a coach to influence play a little to much. If he could control every reaction or where a player was on the ice every second, ala some kind of puppet master, then maybe I would see your point. The problem here just isn't coaching, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.