Will the real Canucks please stand up (2) Ducks/Nucks SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Will the real Canucks please stand up (2) Ducks/Nucks SN

Postby mattola » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:07 am

From Canucks.com

The Vancouver Canucks (5-5-0) look to post consecutive wins for the first time since opening their season with back-to-back victories over the Flames tonight when they visit the Honda Center to wrap-up a short two-game road trip against the red hot Anaheim Ducks (6-5-0).

Last night, powered by Roberto Luongo’s 40th career shutout, the Vancouver Canucks scored an impressive 4-0 victory over the Los Angeles Kings to improve their record back to an even .500. The victory was also significant as it saw the Sedin twins snap out of their respective slumps, with the both twins managing to hit the scoresheet in the same game for just the first time since October 11th. While a win tonight would be just as significant for a Canucks team that is hoping to get on a roll especially with stretch of six consecutive home games following tonight, it will be of major significance should Roberto Luongo pick up his sixth consecutive start as it will mark the 500th career game in his NHL career.

Standing in the Canucks’ way to a second straight win is an Anaheim Ducks team that boasts several familiar faces, none more so than Brendan Morrison who makes his regular season debut as a Duck against the Canucks. After a sluggish start to the season that saw them win just one game in their first six outings (1-5-0), the Anaheim Ducks are suddenly the hottest team in hockey having won their last five consecutive games. The Ducks will be facing a Northwest Division opponent for just the second time this season. They were on the wrong end of a 3-2 score against the Oilers back on October 15th. The Canucks took three of the four games in last year’s season series against the Ducks, but the Ducks won the most recent game back on March 12th – a 4-1 win at the Honda Center.

Tonight’s game faces off at 7:00pm PST and can be seen on Rogers Sportsnet Pacific.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Will the real Canucks please stand up (2) Ducks/Nucks SN

Postby Mikodat » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:06 pm

Back to back games... and the Ducks are a lot tougher team... D is tougher than Nucks... goaltending good. And up front 1st and 2nd line solid.. 3 and 4th of Ducks not as good.. Don't have a good feeling about a tired Canuck team playing a rested Ducks team. If Luongo plays.. we lose 3 to 1.. Kesler with the 1 ..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Cornuck » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:39 pm

Trick or treat? Were we tricked into thinking that the team is back on an even keel after last night's shut out win? Or will be treated to another great night of hockey from the team?

I'm guessing we were tricked and will see a repeat of the great win followed by horrible loss pattern that the team is settling into this year. Only a great effort from Luongo will save us tonight.

I'm hoping for a 2-1 win.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby levelheaded » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:38 pm

Hopefully last night's game wasn't a Fluke. Louie has looked like Louie of old in his last couple outings, and Bieksa is quickly establishing himself as the best blueliner on the team. If the Sedins keep rolling I think we can win this one.

I say 3-2 Canucks. Salo, Pyatt and Bernier with the goals. Selanne and Pahlsson for the ducks. 3 point night for Henrik.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Postby Mikodat » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:55 pm

Basketball??///// 5 -5 after 2? Canucks taking too many penalties.. 3 pp goals to the Ducks.. But Canucks still got a shot at a win...

Gooooooooooooooooo Nucks
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby tey » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:09 pm

People all wondered where the secondary scoring was going to come from.....so far this year....that's all that's been scoring,

so that begs the real question, where is the primary scoring going to come from?
tey
CC Veteran

Postby Mikodat » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:24 pm

Sedin line = 3rd line? Bernier line.... Kesler line ... doing the job..
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Mikodat » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:10 pm

Shoot outwin.... Wellwood... Ohlund.. a crazy game.. too many penalties.. Sedins looking terrible and yet.. exciting game.. 7 - 6 ? Bieksa and Bernier... maybe best players for nucks. lousy defensively but my god its gotta be halloween.. Luongo looking very ordinary ( or worse ) in regular time.. and then doing a great job on the shoot out !! Who'd of thought that 2 teams known for defence would let in 6 goals each in regular time.. Dammmmm near had a heart attack watching this one.. AV must of aged a year ..
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby mattola » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:53 am

Kevin Bieksa = All or nothing on every play. Man he makes me laugh.... Dont trade him.

Bernier with Pyatt is something in the making. Get Demitra back with them and I think we have a potent line there
Kesler line is magic
Sedins with Raymond will work keep it together.
Lou what the hell? you were Grant Fuhr when we needed you..........

Fun exciting, crazy, stupid, weird, great, painful = pick a word to describe that win.

Two Point Eh!
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby LotusBlossom » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:04 am

mattola wrote:Kevin Bieksa = All or nothing on every play. Man he makes me laugh.... Dont trade him.

Bernier with Pyatt is something in the making. Get Demitra back with them and I think we have a potent line there
Kesler line is magic
Sedins with Raymond will work keep it together.
Lou what the hell? you were Grant Fuhr when we needed you..........

Fun exciting, crazy, stupid, weird, great, painful = pick a word to describe that win.

Two Point Eh!

That's what counts Mattola...that's what counts. 2 points!
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Linden Is God » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:55 am

My question will be regards to my night out and the game.

What the hell happened last night??
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby levelheaded » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:58 am

That was an interesting game. It sucks that I didn't get to see it (and had to suffer through that awful Boston game), but I'm glad we won. Watching the highlights I'm not sure I've seen the Canucks play so badly defensively in my entire life. That was beyond horrible. Louie was terrible and couldn't even huge the post on the last goal. His inconsistent play is becoming a concern (as with the rest of the team).

But hey, 4 points is 4 points and I guess you have to call it a successful roadtrip. Burrows and Kess are starting to look like the real deal (not looking forward to having to pay them both though) and Bieksa is back to being our best defenceman. He's playing with a ton more confidence and is using his shot and speed to his advantage again. Maybe it's all about the state of mind with him. I'm glad we didn't trade him (although I'll admit at point last year and over the summer I would've gladly seen him gone).

Time to regroup and learn from this win (how often do you say that?). We have a long homestand coming up, and the worst thing we can do now is get complacent.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Return to Game Day Forum