GDT - Canucks @ Calgary - 7 Pacific - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT - Canucks @ Calgary - 7 Pacific - CBC

Post by Cornuck »

In the second game of back-to-backs with what some consider an arch rival, the Canucks will have to prove the Thursday's game was no fluke. Playing the Flames in the their home opener should prove to be a bigger challenge. I'm sure the Keenan let them know what he thought of the 6-0 loss, and the Flames should ready to make their own statement.

As a long time Canucks fan, I'm cautiously optimistic about this team. A great preseason and an impressive opening night win has turned some heads around the league. A team that was almost unanimously predicted to be golfing early next year has shown to be a team that is both tough and fast. Will the team we saw on Thursday show up for the next 81 games? Or will mediocrity and injuries be the story.

It's a long season that has just started, but as we've seen in the past, every point counts in this parity driven league. Let's hope we can get a jump on our conference rivals now, so we don't have to play the magic-number game in April.

For now - the Canucks has shown that they deserve the support and tonight we'll all be watching Chapter 2 of what should be a very entertaining book.

GAME ON!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT - Canucks @ Calgary - 7 Pacific - CBC

Post by Linden Is God »

I love how everyone is shocked at how crappy Calgary was. Yes 6-0 is a bit of a romp, but it seems like people are just realizing now that they are not the powerhouse everyone thought they were. Their 2004 run was a fluke in my opinion and they really only have Phaneuf and Iginla to their team. The rest is shit in my opinion.

I hope the Canucks light up the Flames again tonight.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Just like a quiz about Madrid's biggest team, tonight is going to be a Real test (groan). The key will be to grind down the flames, frustrate them, and catch a couple sneaky ones when they're looking the wrong way. 6-0 would be nice... I'm guessing 2-1 Flames but hope hope hope our boys show us what kind of character they have and turn it around the other way. I'd be LOVING that!
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Saying the flames only have Iginla and Phaneuf is a pretty weak statment, They are a much better team then just those two. Yes they are there top players, but after one game where it could have been totally differnt if they score on the five on three and making a judgment that they are not the team that people think they are. This flames team im sure will be differnent tonight. Being there home opener and having a couple more days practice. You have to remember that just like us they have alot of new faces on the team this year as well. I definetly think that its too early to write off a team.

I'm not going to predict the winner of this game because i think after the start of last game it could have gone either way. Hopefully we can get that crucial first goal and continue to jump on them. As Cornuck said these two points could go along way to making the dance later this year.

Take us to Glory Captain Lu!
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Tonight will show whether or not MG's team rebuild is working. He has publicly stated he wanted more speed and more grit. Well tonight we will need both as Calgary will give it all they have in an attempt to run us out of the building. I don't think it will be a high scoring affair but whomsoevers PP is working best will win in a highly charged and physical contest. C'mon Canucks do it again!!!
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Broda wrote:Saying the flames only have Iginla and Phaneuf is a pretty weak statment, They are a much better team then just those two. Yes they are there top players, but after one game where it could have been totally differnt if they score on the five on three and making a judgment that they are not the team that people think they are. This flames team im sure will be differnent tonight. Being there home opener and having a couple more days practice. You have to remember that just like us they have alot of new faces on the team this year as well. I definetly think that its too early to write off a team.
Regardless, I still stand by my statement. The Flames are not the cup contender that people make them out to be. It's a team that is overhyped due to the fact that they had one lucky Cup run. I believe they're a playoff team, but in no ways are they a cup contender. I have not been basing this over just the season opener. I've believed this ever since they made it to the finals.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

I think we are going to see a much tougher playing Flames team tonight.. Regher back on D and I am sure Keenan had a few words for there sloppy play last game.. I am not sure whether the Canucks were that good last game or just Kipper and the Flames had a horrible game. For sure I like the improved team toughness of this years edition but so far we still don't have scoring from our second line. Pyatt , Raymond, Demitra did not have a strong game though Raymond did show great bursts of speed..Pyatt seems to be the weak link on the line. Ok our other 3 lines more than made up for it last game but I aint planning a parade until we get a second scoring line.. So for tonight I am predicting a close game.. Tough game to call but .. wishful thinking says Canucks 3-2 .. Raymond the game winner :)
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I wager the Flamers will try and impress the crowd by running around and jabbing after the whistle right after the puck-drop. If AV was wise, he'd ice Johnson, Hordi and Ryper for the opening face-off just to get it over with. All the boys have to do is weather the storm, let Iggy and his girlfriends wear themselves out and then pour it on.

Though I don't see us scoring 6 goals again this time, Kipper has usually started slow and I don't think he'll hit his stride tonight. Anyone notice how slow his glove hand was last game? It was like someone laced it with lead...

I say 3-1 Canucks, with Bernier, Raymond and Edler getting it done on the scoreboard. GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I too think the hype around Calgary is a bit a of a fallacy. I do believe that Jarome Iginla a special player, but really more of a sniper than a power forward (and I do think he is a real leader). Phaneuf is a great hitter and has a good shot, but his defensive game isn't on par with his obvious talents. Kipper has had two great runs of about a half a season, but overall I think, is not the big time goalie people believe him to be. These guys are not a heavyweight in this league, but they're at least as good as us, and we will need to put something special together to win tonight's game.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Nice goal by the Sedin-Bernier line! Daniel driving to the net - looks great!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Luongo owes the boys for that one, especially on the road.

Edit: not to rip our best player, but what happened to the guy who a couple of years ago said diving was "distasteful"? That I uh would rather not have had to see.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Alright second goal was a fluke, but Luongo's mind is somewhere else tonight. Might be Sandford time.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Wow - what an about face from Thursday!
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Cornuck wrote:Wow - what an about face from Thursday!

Well sorta, according to the score yes but not the level of play. I actually see the flames as having played better in periods of the first here than tonight. Two goals were flukes... but still Luongo doesn't "seem" as sharp or is it lucky?
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

"This year i see us being a more of a flurry team. Where we will score one and all lines will fire and hopefully we can get another one or two pretty soon there after. " I really see this as something that will prove to be true this year. With our team speed and grit we are a more emotional team now. All we need is a goal by Raymond who looks like he is flying tonight. Demitra needs to atleast shoot once tonight..