GDT: Canucks in Denver - 3/26 - 6PM - TSN, NHLTV, 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

They can kiss my ass tonight....godd night.....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Haida Knucklehead
CC Rookie

Post by Haida Knucklehead »

just when there is a faint glimmer of hope another goal by one of many canuck killer

bad goal
Haida Gwaii is Canuck Country
UpYerKilt
24 Hours Reporter

Post by UpYerKilt »

I totally agree with the good dr.

Edler has been average at best the past 5 games...

Has Nonis built a team that is from the past...speed and nifty talent?
When the rest of the leagues top teams have fiesty players with decent speed. Gritless.... and we traded our best hitting forward for anothe nifty speedy forward.
Vancouver 24 Hours reporter
Spill Your Guts - Every Wednesday
email me with your Canuck thoughts and we'll put them in the Wed paper. guts.mctavish@24hrs.ca
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

Things just aren't clicking for this team right now. You get one week where they seem like legit contenders and then you get a week where they look like hopeless pretenders.

And things seem to be going from bad to worse, as is evident with Sami Salo missing the huge gaping net moments ago.
24 hours sports reporter
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Larry Goodenough wrote: And is it just me or has Elder looked bad recently? He was once plus 18 and is down to only a plus 8 or 9 these days. He looked bad on the 3rd goal.
Edler has been bad (or at least has taken a step back) for 15-20 games.

Linden has looked better, at least he is one of the very few Canuck getting a hit per game. And he seems to be hustling, which he certainly wasn't doing a few months ago.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

It will come down to who between Nashville and Vancouver (and maybe even edm) are the best of the worst. However makes it out of those 3 will get torched in the first round. Although Detroit may be Vancouver's best matchup.
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

The worry the Canucks should have is that Nashville's schedule isn't very difficult. They enjoy match-ups against Chicago, St. Louis and Columbus, while the Canucks get Minnesota, Calgary and Edmonton. That just isn't fair!
24 hours sports reporter
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

The Buzz: The downward spiral continues for the Canucks, at the worst possible time of the year. Notorious Canuck killers Peter Forsberg and Milan Hejduk along with next generation ‘Nuck killer Paul Stastny were largely responsible for Vancouver’s downfall, which was sealed midway through the second period with four unanswered goals.

Lamplighter: A mess of defensive errors led to Colorado’s Ben Guite jumping on a loose puck and putting it into a gaping net to cap the Avalanche’s second period rally. The goal defined the Canucks swift descent from leaders to losers.

Stats Stupid: Roberto Luongo made his 26th straight start for the Canucks, a streak that looks destined to end with all of the talk about Luongo taking a leave from the team at some point, to be with his imminently due wife. Luongo was pulled after the 5-2 goal in the second period, giving Curtis Sanford his first action since the Canucks 4-1 loss to Chicago on Mar. 2.

Sickbay: Brendan Morrison left the game early in the second period with a suspected leg or hip injury and did not return.

Turning Point: The Canucks gave up yet another lead, as Colorado scored four goals in 6:37, thanks to a number of defensive breakdowns.

Fisticuff: Jeff Cowan and Ian Laperriere dropped the gloves late in the first period and had a brief, but spirited tilt, with Laperriere tackling Cowan to the ice for the decision.

X-file: The Canucks remain only two points ahead of Nashville for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference and are now five points back of first place Minnesota, in the Northwest Division.
24 hours sports reporter
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

Nemesis wrote:What the hell would be the point of getting into the playoffs? :baaa:
Exactly right!

I'm disgusted with this heartless team. I expected some hitting when they lost their lead, some grit, some determination a fight or two, all we got is lazy heartless pick up hockey. Bieksa was strange, gliding around on one skate to the bench, looking bored.

At least Sanford, Burrows and a few others at the low end of the payroll seemed to care.

I've reached some very dissapointing times with this years team but this is the absolute lowest, I don't care if they make it to the playoffs at this point, I'll watch but I won't expect much more than for them to be swept in the first round if they even make it.

When a team shows flashes of brilliance then total flips up their skirts and craps the bed this late in the season in such a critical position you just know they are not the right group of people to pin any kind of expectations on.

Maybe it's best they don't make it into the playoffs so that no stone will remain unturned in Nonis blowing up this heartless bunch.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Nashville has an easier path to the postseason.

I love the canucks, but my only goal is a cup before I die. Therefore, as a dork, I hope they fail to make the playoffs and they get a better draft position and have some hope to be better eventually.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

First of all, i'm disappointed as hell like everyone right now but we all have to put things in perspective.

Fact: They still have their destiny in their own hands and the chickens were counted in the aftermaths, means when there's no chance theoretically.

I know it's hard to believe right now with the way they're playing but it's a fine line between winning and losing in this league. The Canucks aren't that bad and they're opponents aren't that good. The special problem for our team is that they aren't so good as some peple might wish to see them either.

That leads to the potential, imo this team played way over last season and now everybody is naturally expecting more. Right now they're just playing up to their potential, problem is that they have to play over to be successful. This leads right back to the conclusion that if some teams are also playing over their potential like Calgary or Colorado did, they have no chance to strike back in these games. They just have a chance by overperforming and the better opponent on paper ist just performing.

Add some injuries and you have the receipt for failure but nevertheless i'm not losing hope and if it's somehow possible i want to see them in the playoffs for sure.

Remember, we all have seen stranger things happening in the playoffs than just a mediocre team sneaking in and suddenly winning series'.

Even so i'm not afraid of getting sweeped in the first round, they will get what they deserve anyways, but don't count them out if they're not out at least. We all can judge them when the season is really finished.

To heart, passion and grit. I don't think they don't have it but if you really want to go borderline you must have the technical capabilities (stickhandling, skating, positioning, overview etc.) and that's what many of them are lacking, imo. How useful is it to hit like crazy but unclean and getting the penalties ? No one ever has won a game in the penaltybox. In some kind of way they're trying to hold on their discipline and that looks uninspired or emotionless. They're trying to stay in the game but also can't due to their limited capabilities.

Just my 2....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

Sorry Cookie but I don't agree, when a team doesn't show any emotion why should the fans. I agree the final reckoning should come when they are out.

Vancouver is too big a franchise to be mucking around with any kind of mediocre.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

As an observation: I must agree with Tony G (ugh) that Beiksa is still hurt. He just doesn't have the legs he did before.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Let's hope that's he's injured, since he has no other excuse. But if he IS injured to point of not being able to keep up with the play, why is he in there?

Linden looked good in the 2nd half, and seemed to be the only Canuck making an effort at that point - still, nothing to show for it.

Luongo - it looks like his focus was in Florida last night - at least Sanford got some good minutes to be prepared in his absence.

I'm still a believer (I have to be after all these years), but this team didn't give me much to believe in last night.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."