GDT: Feb 9th 2008: Nucks and Avs 7PM CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

GDT: Feb 9th 2008: Nucks and Avs 7PM CBC

Post by levelheaded »

Well, a big test tonight. We finally got that elusive regulation win, and that SHOULD be a big boost for the boys coming home off a .500 road trip. Luongo looks like he's back on his runaway Vezina form, so I see no worries there. Scoring and a lack of NHL ready defencemen are once again the questions going into tonight's matchup. I was trying to think back to the last time the Canucks had a 2 goal lead, and I can't recall one recently. (I think it was a 3-1 lead early in the 2nd period of the St. Louis game on Jan 13th. TEN GAMES AGO.)

Once again a win tonight is a must. And I'll continue to be optimistic. 4-2 Canucks. Salo, Pyatt and Shannon will be our goalscorers. Daniel will put one into the empty net. Hejduk and Wolski will reply for the Avs.

GO CANUCKS GO
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

GO CANUCKS GO

they hav to beat this breed. point and over.

No prayers will help, just plain hockey... and i'm sure the're going to do some damage. 8-)

HOCKEYDAY IN CANADA
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Just win.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So much for the winning 'streak'...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Watching HNIC, finally get to see a game over here in Edmonton but looks like it is going to be a pretty lackluster performance. Getting totally outworked, outplayed and outscored. Not that I really expected much better. I find myself hoping for some miraculous brain lapse on the part of another GM - ie Lecavlier for cooke, morrison and Salo. Oh my mouth waters.... Too bad that fantasyland is my own little utopia.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Man 5-1; I can't even watch the rest of this - it hurts too much. Think this is going to be an excruciatingly long end of the season.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

No way this team can win without someone clearing the crease.. No Mitchell ,, No Milller = no win.. Sedin/Naslund line is lousy defensively.. Bad penalty by Naslund.. Arggggggggghhhhhhhhh this game is painful..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

DonCherry4PM wrote:Man 5-1; I can't even watch the rest of this.....
What else to say ? I'm boiling and went home after the 5th goal.... this is more than disappointing......"phak"
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

To the Canucks who took the ice tonight: Thanks for showin up. Next time, try playing the f*cking game!!! :evil: Try adding a little heart!!! Maybe a little grit!!! :evil:

This was disheartening to witness. No passion, no legs, no anything. Talk about guys going through the motions. It's not like tonight's game was meaningless, only a hated divisional rival when we're on the outside looking in!

It's one thing to lose to bad bounces. I'll even accept some rookie mistakes on our Winnipeg D. But to lose it on account of lack of drive, competitiveness and heart makes me ashamed to wear the whale. Almost all those goals were due to lack of effort. I got tired by the second period of there being physical contact and the Canuck dropping like a Reagan bodyguard. What about winning some physical battles, maybe a couple of puck battles. NO HEART!!!

If anyone is trade bait, it's Salo. It made me sick to see him out there in the 1st period. The 1st goal was all his fault, as he totally whiffed his assignment. I'm tired of this guy getting winged and limping off to the bench. He has a rocket shot, but so does Edler. Yeah, Salo's shots get through more often than not, but so do Bieksa's. This guys is no better than Edler on the defensive end. Why isn't Nonis dangling this tin-man like a pinatta?

I hope this is just a case of road legs cathcing up to them. I hope they show better against the Hawks. Otherwise, it'll be a slow painful end to the regular season with some hard decisions to make about our soon-to-be-UFA tin-man captain.

Nuts
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

oi... remember, edmonton's ending last year, was probably as bad as it gets.

but tonight... wow.

that's probably the definition of "mailing it in". Can someone remind me of why I cheer for this team? this group of players is long going to be remembered as the ones who just couldn't seem to get what everyone else did. THIS WAS A HUGE FOUR POINT GAME! We needed this win to leap frog the Avs and jump back into the playoffs, and we lay a huge frickin' communal egg. Three goals on headless chkiken defense in the first.

ugh...

ST
tey
CC Veteran

Post by tey »

good thing they made it home in time for the home town crowd to see this top notch performance
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Ugly game..... " our best players gotta be our best players ??? " . Loungo, Naslund ? , Sedins? = maybe the worst players on the Canucks with dishonorable mention to Cooke.. Only line that didn't give up goals was the " kid line " .. Only decent performance by the Nucks was McIver's fights.. Injuries no excuse ... Av's missing 3 top scorers .. Canucks missing 3 dmen.. about even? Sedin line with Naslund = no defensive play.. Lou looking below average.. Too bad the fights didn't start the game maybe give the Canucks what they are sorely missing. Guts and heart..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

seeing that live was embarrassing. I Couldn't even get up and cheer for the 2nd goal. good part is....... is there a good part?

we are still 1 point out of a payoff spot. hope for us to win and a phoenix outright win.

I hope they are not thinking... ah we are so close to the playoffs that we will make it...at least the Beer girl bought me a Beer
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Got to add that was disappointing, for sure.

However, a little harsh to site the team didn't show any heart or grit. If they were mailing it in I don't think they would have been involved in 3 fights.

IMO they looked like a tired team last night. The Avs were certainly the sharper of the two and beat the Nux to many puck battles, especially in front of the net.

While I'm sure the team won't be using the travel as an excuse, it certainly appeared the Avs were the fresher of the teams.

If I'm not mistaken Ohlund flew home from the east coast, then returned to Atlanta on the red eye and then flew home with the team to play an Avalanche team that had played in SJ 2 nights earlier and had played at home 2 nights before that.

So, I wouldn't be righting off the season just yet.
Lancer wrote:This was disheartening to witness. No passion, no legs, no anything. Talk about guys going through the motions.

I hope this is just a case of road legs cathcing up to them.
That would be my guess.
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

They say you can always find something good in a game to build on.

Last night's good thing was video of how a team should play.

It's a shame the video was of the Avs.
It must have been a hell of a good game from an Avs fan's perspective.

I didn't see the team 'mailing it in' last night but they were certainly beat in all aspects of the game.

Tonight's tilt will be interesting.
The Canucks have proven they can overcome fatigue.
Lets hope they prove it again.