GDT: 11/14/07 - Oilers at Canucks, 7:00PM TSN HD

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

B. Mackin
24 Hours Reporter

BORING, BORING NO CANUCKS SCORING

Post by B. Mackin »

Edmonton Oilers 1 Vancouver Canucks 0 (SO)
Bob Mackin

The Buzz:
Edmonton Oilers turned the tables on the Vancouver Canucks as goaltender Mathieu Garon made 29 saves and held the home team scoreless through overtime. Then Ales Hemsky beat Roberto Luongo to win the shootout.

The Spoil:
Edmonton played a tight defensive game to stop the Canucks’ winning streak at three games. Vancouver won the previous two meetings by a 9-3 margin and hadn’t lost to Edmonton since Dec. 4, 2006. The Canucks are a dismal 2-7 at home.

Save of the Game:
Roberto Luongo had to stretch to keep the puck out on Andrew Cogliano’s shot halfway through overtime.

Phew:
Raffi “I Didn’t Sing Baby Belugaâ€￾ Torres was almost the goat of the game when he let the puck slip away before he could register a shot during his shootout chance.

Wednesday-nitis:
A Vancouver team clad in blue jerseys held the edge over a visitor wearing white on a Wednesday night with a nil-all score at full-time. Sounds like déjà vu. The Vancouver Whitecaps did that to the Los Angeles Galaxy a week earlier across the street at B.C. Place. Except last night’s match had no superstars and the tie was eventually broken.

Turning Point:
After dominating the first two periods, the Canucks were outshot 9-4 in the third.

Sign of the Times:
The ever-creative GM Place audience brought the usual “Oilers suck!â€￾ chant. Next time, may we suggest: “You’ve gotta mall… you’ve gotta mall… and that’s all!â€￾ or “Nice elbow patches!â€￾ or “Eskimos? Hahahaha!â€￾

Crunch Time:
Mattias Ohlund registered the hit of the game on Robert “Son of Kentâ€￾ Nilsson in the Vancouver zone in the sixth minute of the second period.

X-File:
Both the Oilers and Canucks have a Finnish defenseman on the injured reserve list. Turku-native Sami Salo for Vancouver and Oulu-born Joni Pitkanen for Edmonton.
Oulu is home of the Air Guitar World Championships while Turku’s most famous son is nine-time Olympic gold medalist Paavo Nurmi.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Ritchie in the shootout? What an awful choice. If there's any game we haven't deserved to lose it's this one. What a joke. Garon was incredible. That sucks.

Bourdon was pretty good tonight, which was nice to see. He's starting to look like the 18 year old version of himself again.
Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Naslund Is King »

Better team and goalie won tonight...
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Naslund Is King wrote:Better team and goalie won tonight...
Oh go to hell. The Canucks deserved to win, I don't think you can say Garon outplayed Luongo tonight, they were both excellent. We get it, you're a troll, now kindly move on.
showtyme21
CC Rookie

Post by showtyme21 »

TSN was saying that on the NHL.com website, it was 1-0 halfway through the third with Horcoff scoring the goal... Just thought that was an interesting tidbit. Even the NHL hates the Canucks.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"
B. Mackin
24 Hours Reporter

Post by B. Mackin »

Did anyone get a screen capture of the TSN story on NHL.com?
Unfortunately, that doesn't trump the "Paris Hilton helping drunk elephants" for myth of the week.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

showtyme21 wrote:TSN was saying that on the NHL.com website, it was 1-0 halfway through the third with Horcoff scoring the goal... Just thought that was an interesting tidbit. Even the NHL hates the Canucks.
I think one of the worldwide conspiracy theories. :lol:

I was at NHL.com while listening on radio and i didn't noticed it...

I was surprised too with Ritchie being the first shooter, at least his attempt was better than Raffi Torres'. 8-)
Better team and goalie won tonight...
Please enlight us which of the 4 other games tonight you're speaking of. :baaa:
The Canucks are a dismal 2-7 at home.
To be honest to the Canucks it's 2-6-1 but not very satisfying, right. ;)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
B. Mackin
24 Hours Reporter

Post by B. Mackin »

2-7, including a tiebreaker loss or 2-6-1.
Of course, in the "new" NHL, both goalies were credited with a shutout but the scorer of the tiebreaking goal doesn't get credit.
If the NHL wants to be like soccer, then it should record the score as 0-0 after overtime with Edmonton winning the shootout 1-0.
But what does Gary Bettman care about the integrity of the game?
Thor1379
AHL Prospect

Post by Thor1379 »

Hey all, I've been lurking for a while but I just wanted to mention a couple of things:
1. BMo is on pace for over 30 goals, a career high, conveniently in a contract year.
2. I hate Pierre McGuire sometimes. Hey said something along the lines of "Garon didn't work out in MTL, Garon didn't work out in LA, but he sure is working out in EDM!!!!!!" I don't think his record is spectacular this year nor do I believe it was horrible (I'm talking Skudra horrible) in MTL and LA.
Total NHL GP 144 W63 L58 T12 2.87 .903
EDM GP6 w3 l2 t0 2.92 .898
Not exactly stellar to me....
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Welcome Thor - and I agree - .898 is nothing to get excited about. Garon always seems to be showing promise, but never seem able to take it to the next level.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

Funny game to watch.
Great goaltenders' duel.

The good...
Great pace and flow, few whistles, few penalties
I liked the refs last night. (They're probably in Bettman's bad books now)
If we had won the game it would have gone down as a classic.
Willie would have earned a star for his goal-line save.

The bad...
We changed our attack to the periphery again and went back to the dump'n'chase as our default tactic at the blue line.

Yes, we had lots of shots and a few excellent chances but, for the most part, we were shooting from the side, giving a good goalie a small net to defend.
Despite the good flow, our forwards seemed a bit sleepy, the passes weren't crisp, reaction to loose pucks a bit slow, the down low attack wasn't using our point men well enough (or maybe our point men weren't pinching well enough, it's hard to tell.
We played well defensively but we are still missing something on offence.

I thought our offensive success in the last three games was, in part, due to our keeping posession across the blue line, attacking up the middle and crashing the net for rebounds in the scrum.
I was surprised we didn't keep that strategy against a team with defensive injuries.
Was the Edmonton defence really that good last night?

But...other than the final score, it was still an entertaining game to watch.

Hopefully the win will inspire Edmonton to play lights out against the Wild tonight leaving a husk for us to face Friday. :mrgreen:
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

whistler wrote:Hopefully the win will inspire Edmonton to play lights out against the Wild tonight leaving a husk for us to face Friday. :mrgreen:
:D For sure, overall a good effort from the team. Hey at least Roberto got a shutout. ;)

Something's really going wrong since 2 of the best D are out.

I hope not that these Gaboriks or Demitras suddenly come out to play on friday...
We played well defensively but we are still missing something on offence.
I know what's missing, goals. I guess we wouldn't complain if one of the Sedins, Kesler or Mo had scored (all together. :D ) So it's obviously a concern. But nevertheless it's a fine line.... damn Garon. :twisted:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

2 posts as well. so its not as bad as it looks but man we need to have better finish.
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

Hitting the post can be a good sign if your offense is composed of snipers but we haven't had a quality sniper since the Nazzy/Moore incident.

With the roster we have, our goals come from open nets and scambles in the crease.
We only had a couple of those opportunities last night.

I'm not complaining about the game or effort but, given the practice time we had last week, I was expecting more flair on offense.

I might have assumed they practiced the power play all week but that didn't really show up either though there weren't many opportunities to showcase it in any event..

The boys played very well defensively but their offence never looked threatening, unlike the offence in their three-game streak.

They have to get the puck, and bodies, to the front of the net if they're to have success with this roster..
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

We dominated the first two period because we came out playing PHYSICAL hockey. Ohlund, Pyatt, Ritchie, and Isbister (the big kids) really set the tone by sitting some Oil on their asses. That's what we need to do night-in and night-out because we're not skilled offensively to set up those pretty plays - despite Dan Sedin and Kesler's neat little dekes. Too bad they couldn't put it in.

Somehow in the third period we kind of got away from that, started to play 'safe hockey' again. The result? Outplayed (again) in the third and a loss in the shootout.