GDT - 11/01/2007 Canucks vs Predators 8PM PPV

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

If this isn't rock bottom, I don't know what is.

Looks a little too much like two seasons ago. Virtually everyone on the team has decided they are going to take the season off.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
UpYerKilt
24 Hours Reporter

This team is out of confidence

Post by UpYerKilt »

Dateline - Vancouver... A BLOODY DISGRACE!

If I paid to see this debacle I would be pissed!

Everything about this team now cries out 2006/07 over-acheivers.

I hope someone jams this next comment down my throat in April but this team is not going to make the playoffs!

Guts
Vancouver 24 Hours reporter
Spill Your Guts - Every Wednesday
email me with your Canuck thoughts and we'll put them in the Wed paper. guts.mctavish@24hrs.ca
B. Mackin
24 Hours Reporter

GAME REPORT: FROM BAD TO WORSE

Post by B. Mackin »

Nashville Predators 2 Vancouver Canucks 0
Bob Mackin

The Buzz:
The Vancouver Canucks’ $6.5 million goaltender Roberto Luongo allowed goals on the first and last Nashville Predators’ shots in a 3-0 loss at General Motors Place on Thursday. Rookie Dan Ellis, who earns only $500,000, earned his second career shutout.

Lame List:
The listless, dispassionate 5-8 Canucks are now 1-6 at home after giving the Predators their first road victory of the season.

Goat of the Game:
Luongo. Again. The “Greatest Goalie on the Globeâ€￾ allowed two goals on the first two shots of the game. Last year he was 1-6 when he allowed the opposing team to score on its first shot.

Lamplighter:
David Legwand’s power play goal through Luongo’s pads on first shot of game at 6:16 of first period was followed less than two minutes later by Martin Erat’s even-strength breakaway backhander. Jason Arnott made it 3-0 with 29 seconds to go. Coincidentally, Legwand and Erat registered the assists. Those fans that remained gave polite applause for the visitors and booed the home team off the ice.

Sign of the Times:
Nashville’s Radek Bonk recorded his team’s third shot of the game with 2:36 remaining in the first period from 100 feet away. Luongo didn’t have to work hard for the save, which elicited sarcastic applause. Some for Luongo. Some for the Predators.

Sick Bay:
Add bloody injuries to the insult of a lousy game. Kevin Bieksa departed with 3:12 to go in the second after he suffered a cut right leg from the skate of Vernon Fiddler. Sami Salo, who plays without facial protection, was off with 4:01 to go in the third after Alexander Edler’s shot found Salo in the face.

Combo B:
Head coach Alain Vigneault’s line-juggling produced the newly minted SIN line of Henrik Sedin, Brad Isbister and Markus Naslund. Isbister led the Canucks’ in trips to the sin-bin with a pair of second period minor penalties. Daniel Sedin played with Ryan Kesler and Taylor Pyatt on the Dan-Ry-Py line.

X-File:
Nashville came close to tying a club record with its two second period shots. Three times in club history the club has managed a one-shot period.

Next Game:
Get outta town! The Canucks visit the Colorado Avalanche on Saturday at 7 p.m. Good news: it’s not pay-per-view. Better news: it’s available in high definition (if you dare to watch) on CBC.
Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Naslund Is King »

randymeeks wrote:If this isn't rock bottom, I don't know what is.

Looks a little too much like two seasons ago. Virtually everyone on the team has decided they are going to take the season off.
Excuse me? That team came out dominating winning 8 of the first 10 I believe...

then Naslund got hurt in December and Nonis refused to get us a goalie and we missed the playoffs.

Oh and a terrible game by Luongo.. that .800 save percent should have been much lower.
B. Mackin
24 Hours Reporter

VIGNEAULT VITTLES: APPLYING LIPSTICK TO THE PIG

Post by B. Mackin »

"Our guys were ready to play and they came out really hard. We had a number of quality chances, their goaltender, give him credit, he made some good saves. This is a tough league when you get behind... they did a great job of clogging up that neutral zone...I thought we wer making a lot of great effort plays."

"We’re facing major adversity right now, the only way to face that adversity is by sticking together."
B. Mackin
24 Hours Reporter

VIGNEAULT VITTLES: INJURY UPDATE

Post by B. Mackin »

"Kevin (Bieksa) is gone to the hospital here, he took what I’m assuming is a skate off his calf and is a pretty deep cut there with the muscle, so he’s gone, they couldn’t fix him up here... Sami (Salo) is on his way to the hospital, the puck hit him in the orbital bone in the nose... It’s easy to say both those guys are going to be out for a while."
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

First of all, for the record, I'd like to deny that I have spent the last week in Minsk negotiating the sale of the Canucks to a Belorussian oligarch.

Indeed, I completely deny this.

I wholly, absolutely, totally deny this.

It's a vicious, false and totally inflammatory rumor.

A complete fabrication.

Black, damnable and false mendacity of the worst and lowest order.

How dare you suggest that I could do such a thing. How dare you! I love this damned franchise. It would be like selling my own mother!

Now, some of the cynics out there may choose at this point to remind you that I did, in fact, sell the mother of one of my children to a Taiwanese bio-medical research facility in the late 1990s.

Well, okay. It's not something I'm necessarily proud of and came at a slow patch in my career. But, I would still argue that selling "a" mother and ex-wife is a very different thing from selling your "own" mother. Besides, the studies they performed on her have proven invaluable in the global fight against macular degeneration.

Now where was i?

Oh yeah.

The whole sale of the 'Nucks to the Belorussians in exchange for a 35% interest in the Perm-Solikamsk railway line and an assignment of the unsecured portion of a future re-insurance claim for the possible subsidance of JSC Urakali's carnallite processing plant in Berezniki is a complete and highly deranged fantasy.

Let's face it, with the way the team's playing, I'd be pretty damned hard pressed to secure those terms.

Oh well, let's see if the Bosnians will take this off our hands . . .
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Meerschaum wrote:Oh well, let's see if the Bosnians will take this off our hands . . .
I wonder if it's already done. I'm truly dissapointed so far, but when i hear these "Bosnians" at GM Place cheering the opponent i could vomit....

(Sorry i don't meant to be racial. ;) I have different cultural legacies too.)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

The most exciting part of the game for me was finding out Dave Tiger Williams is now an astronaut.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Larry Goodenough wrote:The most exciting part of the game for me was finding out Dave Tiger Williams is now an astronaut.
Does he have a playstation too ? :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

randymeeks wrote:
If this isn't rock bottom, I don't know what is.

then Naslund got hurt in December and Nonis refused to get us a goalie and we missed the playoffs.
NIK, they may have done well out of the gate that season, but they weren't playing well even with the good opening record. Most of the players on that team were underachieving as the players on this team are now.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Naslund Is King wrote:
randymeeks wrote:If this isn't rock bottom, I don't know what is.

Oh and a terrible game by Luongo.. that .800 save percent should have been much lower.
Maybe if Naslund had taken $4.5 million per season instead of $6 million per season, Nonis would have had enough space under the then $39 million cap to have gone out and gotten a goaltender. Naslund has been healthy in the last seaon and a bit and he so far has 32 goals and 74 points in 97 games since then. Not enough for a $6 million superstar.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Naslund has been healthy in the last seaon and a bit and he so far has 32 goals and 74 points in 97 games since then. Not enough for a $6 million superstar.

In all fairness to Naslund, I know he was fighting off a shoulder injury for at least part of last season although I don't know how severe it was or for how long that he had it during the season.