L-GDT April 30 Game 5 Nashville in Vancouver 7PM PST SPAC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Picker of Cherries
CC Veteran

Re: L-GDT April 30 Game 5 Nashville in Vancouver 7PM PST SPAC

Post by Picker of Cherries »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:12 am I kind of hope we lose the series. Hear me out.

If LA fall to the Oilers then the Oilers will kill us. I couldn’t handle the revenge.
I don’t believe that. Nashville has better defensemen and a much better goalie than the Oilers. The Canucks will have much more success in the Oilers end. It’d be a toss up who wins that series, and I’d definitely like to see it. I agree the Pettersson line looked better this game. If it continues to progress and the goaltending holds up, I like the Canucks chances (if they make it through Nashville).

I’m more confident whoever comes out of the Central will destroy the Canucks (or the Oilers), but an Oilers defeat is an achievable goal for the Canucks. And you never know if the Central winner won’t be beaten to a pulp by the time the Conference final is played.
“Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room.”
- President Merkin Muffley
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Pettersson - 0 goals 2 assists in 5 games. $11.6 million

Petey’s body language is the worst right now - if I were to describe it it would be ‘Emo’ or ‘millennial ‘. He looks like he’s constantly pouting. The blank lifeless expression in his face or bitchy tired face needs to fucking stop, staring off into the clouds. He looks completely unengaged like he’d rather be playing Minecraft than doing stupid hockey. The Preds are totally harshing his mellow, the mini tantrums when bounces ain’t going his way is fucking painful.

Now cue in Topper the contrarian on how Petey is playing great!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:36 am Pettersson looked the shits. Even if they get by the Preds they are done unless he picks it up significantly. His linemates had good jump. Get the Moscow Mule in there for fuck sakes.
Of all the forwards Podkolzin could replace it should be Lafferty. He’s bringing fuck all right now
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:24 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:36 am Pettersson looked the shits. Even if they get by the Preds they are done unless he picks it up significantly. His linemates had good jump. Get the Moscow Mule in there for fuck sakes.
Of all the forwards Podkolzin could replace it should be Lafferty. He’s bringing fuck all right now
I'd replace him based solely on the shape of his dome. What happened there anyway...?
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The revelations:

Silovs is an NHL goalie
Bye DeSmith
Zadorov needs to be resigned
Trade Hronek for a top 6 winger (not impressed with his playoffs)
Sign Tanev (placeholder for Willander)
Bye Cole
Bye Lafferty
Joshua is revealing in these playoffs he ain’t worth a lick over $2.5 million
I’m coming around to signing Lindholm as our 3rd line center if not too expensive (where would that leave Raty?)
Suter should not be playing in the top 6
Starting to think that Petey is the problem on his line and not his wingers Hoglander and Mikheyev whom both are bringing it, competing hard in shifts
Garland is the new Ronning, the shrimp brings it, he’s got brass balls and is probably the best player on the team in the tough areas of the ice where we see Petey constantly laying on the ice. Petey your core strength bud, give it some work FFS or find out what Garland is doing
No complaints about Miller and Boeser
No complaints about Myers and Soucy
Hughes is our best player by a country mile, he may go down as the greatest Canuck of all time and he’s just beginning
Bring on lekkerimaki, Willander and D-Pete soon please!
Picker of Cherries
CC Veteran

Post by Picker of Cherries »

Hronek has some poor pinch decisions and defensive lapses that you hardly ever see with Tanev. I’d say it’d be a mistake to lock up long term with Hronek. Tanev short term transitioning to Willander would be better if Tanev will sign. Plus not signing Hronek may give them cap space for Zadorov and Joshua and a trade chip as Hronek is a right side RFA that other team will give up a lot for.
“Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room.”
- President Merkin Muffley
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:15 pm
dangler wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:09 pm Great game!
Obviously would've preferred a Canuck win, but that was some awesome hockey.
Thought Petey and Mikheyav had a better game, hopefully they light it up in Nashville.
Petey is 104th in playoff scoring this post season with 0 goals 2 assists in 5 games. I’m sorry but he needs be a whole lot fucking better
And one of those assists wasn’t anything more than a random touch of the puck before someone else put in the work.
BoS
CC Rookie

Post by BoS »

A number of posters seeing more positives in Pettersson’s game than me. He is a shell of his former self, and has been a complete non factor all series. If he was half the player he was 4 months ago, this series would be over. Thank god for Lindholm.

Hronek has been the least effect defensman all series. His play has also dropped off considerably since the winter, but this is his first look at playoff hockey, so there is that.

Silovs has been a great story. His rebound control was better this game, and he’s playing with confidence.

Special teams was the difference this game.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

The closest thing to a regular season game plan the Canucks have played this playoff. Far less physical than the previous games, Vancouver wasn't crushing opponents on the boards, hitting yes, crushing no.

Nashville wasn't sending 3 forecheckers but instead clogging the neutral zone and forcing plays at their D blueline.

I noted 11.6 was making baby step towards playing again after game 4, he was even more prevalent in game 5, but still closer to three fiddy seven than seven fiddy three. Shame of it was, he showed just how useless CoHog is and and the complete lack of finish the exLeaf has. Reminiscent of Steve Bernier. HNIC laughably mentioned CoHog, the only reason he was more noticeable was because he was holding that line back.

Bieksa noted the Tim Thomas comparison I mentioned about Saros over committing to shooters. Vancouver wasted too many chances trying to take advantage of that. Nashville D was playing the pass with their sticks and the shot with their bodies. Vancouver forwards were not getting in the sight lines of Saros, instead playing the perimeter for the pass.

Realistically, Silovs is good, but he isn't Demko Vezina nominee stellar...yet.

Bieksa and Kesler would be proud of Foresberg's diving and whining to the refs. No neck troll Trotz must be laughing under his bridge.
Last edited by Topper on Wed May 01, 2024 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BoS wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:33 am A number of posters seeing more positives in Pettersson’s game than me. He is a shell of his former self, and has been a complete non factor all series. If he was half the player he was 4 months ago, this series would be over. Thank god for Lindholm.

Hronek has been the least effect defensman all series. His play has also dropped off considerably since the winter, but this is his first look at playoff hockey, so there is that.

Silovs has been a great story. His rebound control was better this game, and he’s playing with confidence.

Special teams was the difference this game.
Agree on all points - Pettersson, Hronek and Silovs

The difference for me regarding Silovs and DeSmith is rebound control and overall calmness in positioning and squaring up, he’s not scrambling in his crease chasing pucks.

Hronek has been shockingly sloppy

I’ve noticed the Preds don’t seem to be all that concerned with Petey, and rightly so. Their concern is all on Hughes and for all that attention Hughes is getting he’s still getting shit done. Petey’s immaturity is really showing in this series, it’s his overall body language that’s most disturbing. Again, he’s made improvements but FFS he’s paid to be a difference maker. O goals 2 assists in 5 playoff games for a player paid just a hair under MacKinnon is garbage. But the little things! Wow! Amazing!!! Thrilled by it!!!!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I put some blame on the refs… not so much the calls made as compared to the calls not made..

If we score on PP it changes everything and we win
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:40 am A few comments;

The closest thing to a regular season game plan the Canucks have played this playoff. Far less physical than the previous games, Vancouver wasn't crushing opponents on the boards, hitting yes, crushing no.

Nashville wasn't sending 3 forecheckers but instead clogging the neutral zone and forcing plays at their D blueline.

I noted 11.6 was making baby step towards playing again after game 4, he was even more prevalent in game 5, but still closer to three fiddy seven than seven fiddy three. Shame of it was, he showed just how useless CoHog is and and the complete lack of finish the exLeaf has. Reminiscent of Steve Bernier. HNIC laughably mentioned CoHog, the only reason he was more noticeable was because he was holding that line back.

Bieksa noted the Tim Thomas comparison I mentioned about Saros over committing to shooters. Vancouver wasted too many chances trying to take advantage of that. Nashville D was playing the pass with their sticks and the shot with their bodies. Vancouver forwards were not getting in the sight lines of Saros, instead playing the perimeter for the pass.

Bieksa and Kesler would be proud of Foresberg's diving and whining to the refs. No neck troll Trotz must be laughing under his bridge.
The Contrarian strikes again. Disagree on Petey, he’s not here for “little things” at $11.6 he has to be a creator of prime scoring chances, a formidable threat. None of which he is. Mikheyev is very limited offensively but he’s playing hard as well as Hoglander. Last night was Hog and Miks best game, that IMO is why Petey looked better in the “little things” department, but Petey is supposed to be big things, isn’t he? $11.6 ??? Leave the little things for Lindholm, FFS.

Silovs looks very solid for a rookie goalie. The kid has the makings to be career NHL’er. Who’s comparing him to Demko? You???
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Game 3 we get 2 PP goals and are perfect on the PK. Last night we couldn't muster a shot on the PP and gave up a PK goal. So ya, special teams are deciding this series.

But I do agree on Pettersson. The most disappointing player in these playoffs to me. He has got to be better.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:58 am
Topper wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:40 am A few comments;

The Contrarian strikes again. Disagree on Petey, he’s not here for “little things” at $11.6 he has to be a creator of prime scoring chances, a formidable threat. None of which he is. Mikheyev is very limited offensively but he’s playing hard as well as Hoglander. Last night was Hog and Miks best game, that IMO is why Petey looked better in the “little things” department, but Petey is supposed to be big things, isn’t he? $11.6 ??? Leave the little things for Lindholm, FFS.

Silovs looks very solid for a rookie goalie. The kid has the makings to be career NHL’er. Who’s comparing him to Demko? You???
Pettersson was more engaged this game than any of the previous 4. He was skating faster and trying to participate in the physical game and certainly a more threatening playmaker than he has been for weeks. Which is all Topper was saying unless my reading comprehension skills need a refresher.

All that being said, Pettersson needs to be a threat to score and he’s not, and when it comes to being useful at the physical game, well, he’s a wafer and even when he initiated contact he was the one on the ice afterwards.