OTL-GDT Coyotes @ Canucks Apr 10 7:30 pm SN Pac

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

CrzyCanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: GDT Coyotes @ Canucks Apr 10 7:30 pm SN Pac

Post by CrzyCanuck »

lol hronek consults with literalyl everyone on the bench about his big penalty shot
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
CrzyCanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by CrzyCanuck »

fack

oh well

let's go for a grand finish on saturday
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

At least they came from behind to get the one point. :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

<shakes head> Really should have had that one.... on to edm.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:21 pm At least they came from behind to get the one point. :|
We didn't even get a reach around
If you need air...call it in
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: OTL-GDT Coyotes @ Canucks Apr 10 7:30 pm SN Pac

Post by 5thhorseman »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:24 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:53 pm He'll probably play top 6 after we get rid of all our wingers to fund D acquisitions/signings.
Shit disturber!
Pump-n-the-dumpster?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Not sure which talking head it was…..Ferraro I think……said that when the Canucks actually play with energy the ice was severely tilted in Vancouver’s favour. An accurate analysis from Re-run-Ray for a change.

Canucks did not deserve a better fate because they phoned in the majority of the game.

That being said…

Officiating was pretty awful in the third.

That penalty on Boeser in OT was a very weak call.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Partway through the second, Ferraro remarked that Myers had had a great start to the period.

Myers was in the penalty box to start the 2nd.

So in a way I guess he was right.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Not much to look deeply into. They were playing the game of their lives while the Canucks were going through the motions basically.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Going through the motions? I thought we dominated large parts of the game but we're missing that final pass. Arizona were aggressive in their defense and we just couldn't get through.

The switch seems to have been flipped in the Vegas game. Calling it.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Van dominated the first, but as soon as the Utah Coyotes scored their first lucky one, it was game on. She-loves wasn't great and had trouble tracking the puck the entire game. Meanwhile, the guys in black couldn't hit the net and when they did, they made it easy for Vezina Ingram. He completely got into the head of Jeremy on that penalty shot.

I don't think they went through the motions. I thought the Coyotes lulled them into a room with plastic lined on the floor.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:48 pm Going through the motions? I thought we dominated large parts of the game but we're missing that final pass. Arizona were aggressive in their defense and we just couldn't get through.

The switch seems to have been flipped in the Vegas game. Calling it.
There's a greasy trucker finger resting on the toggle. It hasn't exerted any force as of yet, only resting....waiting.... procrastinating...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:59 pm Van dominated the first, but as soon as the Utah Coyotes scored their first lucky one, it was game on. She-loves wasn't great and had trouble tracking the puck the entire game. Meanwhile, the guys in black couldn't hit the net and when they did, they made it easy for Vezina Ingram. He completely got into the head of Jeremy on that penalty shot.

I don't think they went through the motions. I thought the Coyotes lulled them into a room with plastic lined on the floor.
I gotta agree- I thought the Canucks played well enough to win, but the Yotes caught the breaks, and our goaltending and penalties didn't help, but overall the effort was there. It sucks to lose, but to me, this is 2 good games in a row for the team, and Saturday will be good matchup to see if anyone has found 'the switch'.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The 3-1goal that benched Hughes for a while woke the sleepyheads out of their slumber. The team has the ability to turn it on but need to start turning out at the drop of the puck.

Gotta admit impressed with Guenther, thought the kid was just a sniper but has more to arsenal than just bulging the twine.

Tocchett has become a Silovs fan. Bye DeSmith, unless you’re cheap in July.

Lafferty seems to be slipping

DiGiuseppe over Podkolzin? Tocchett is weird

Petey needs to light a match. I’m not too worried, he has it in him. Hopefully he raises his game come post season

Hughes is the heart of the team. He will become the highest paid Canuck once his contract is up

Shoulda declined the penalty shot and taken the penalty

Cooley and Slafkovsky have proved why they were drafted where they were

Where’s that bum Hayton? Hughes coulda been a Coyote if they hadn’t pulled a Holland (Zadina)

What can I say about Garland, I want to thank a certain GM for him but some seem to get angry at the Chef for that. Garland is an energy player much in the same fashion Clifford Ronning was

The Coyotes are a team of the future, wait until Russians Simashev and But arrive whom they drafted in the first round of 2023 and Conor Geekie from the 2022 draft WHL Player of the Year. They will also be drafting in the top 5 in this years draft.

Maccelli the Finn is a player! Drafted in the 4tg round. Impressed with Durzi as well, originally drafted in the 2nd by the leaves.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:49 am The 3-1goal that benched Hughes for a while woke the sleepyheads out of their slumber. The team has the ability to turn it on but need to start turning out at the drop of the puck.

Lafferty seems to be slipping

DiGiuseppe over Podkolzin? Tocchett is weird

The Coyotes are a team of the future, wait until Russians Simashev and But arrive whom they drafted in the first round of 2023 and Conor Geekie from the 2022 draft WHL Player of the Year. They will also be drafting in the top 5 in this years draft.
To Chef:

(1) I don't think the goal benched Hughes. I think it was the sequence of penalties after that. Hughes doesn't need a message, and certainly didn't receive (or if he did, didn't follow), "hey kid, keep your shifts under 90 seconds...." When I see Hughes get stripped like that, when there was an easy way to move the puck before the pressure (he had the ring pass), it can be frustrating. But fact is that Hughes makes that decision to hold while under modest pressure frequently, it rarely comes back to bite him, and the benefit of the play is to create three outlet options.

(2) Lafferty isn't slipping. He's played like this almost all year. He scored a couple goals early in the season that were impressive power forward moves. Beyond those flashes, he's shown himself to be exactly the tweener he's been over the course of his career. Overall meh, with his most noticeable quality being an anemic offensive zone IQ befitting his #18 sweater. It was hilarious when Joshua and Lafferty were both around 10 goals and a poster said "both will be looking for big raises next year." Lafferty and his agent should be looking for a team where a roster spot is likely, and that's the end of it.

(3) Agree. The Coyotes seem to have a good amount of talent in their pipeline, but more than that, they seem to play a focused game that gets the most out of what they put on the ice. If some of these guys develop and that culture continues, they are a "buy" rating.

(4) A comment about the game...I think its another where having your third stringer in net really hurt. That big rebound leading to the first goal struck me as an unforced error. One the second goal, you can say "Silovs never saw it," but goalies have to work to see the puck and when they don't see it they have to be more prepared to react. Goals 3 and 4 are no fault of the goalie, and he came us with a couple big stops (especially the shorthanded breakaway). He's been okay in his starts -- I'm not ragging on the kid -- but I the Canucks move from good to average when they have backup (or less) quality NHL goaltending and they move from good to very good when they've got a top 10 NHL goalie.

(5) On goaltending, credit to Lindgren for how he played Blue Gill's shorty breakaway. To not open up a single inch of the 5 hole while making a strong enough push to take away the tuck around was a technically impressive piece of goaltending.

(6) It feels these last few games that the refereeing has been terrible. The Canucks first penalties of the games have been particularly bad calls. That call on Boeser in OT was one that often not whistled in OT (but I think it wasn't a "bad call.") But the same thing can definitely be said of the interference penalty that lead to the Pettersson's goal to tie the game. Interference? No, not really. Holding? Maybe -- but again, pretty weak.

(7) The Canucks PK looked really good in this game, I think. In the past couple of games, they appear to be pressuring the puck carrier more, and intentionally so as if its a deliberate tweak to the approach (i.e., its not just Petey who plays this way likely even when the coaches want them to maintain better structure). Why do this? Well, if a team can't prevent he cross-seam pass while collapsed, making them play faster and forcing mistakes is probably the best approach. It worked against Arizona. But its a strategy that quick playmakers exploit, so we will see what it looks like against Edmonton....
Hono_rary Canadian