GDT Jan 5 canucks vs leaves that fall cbc

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT Jan 5 canucks vs leaves that fall cbc

Post by Strangelove »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:46 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:58 pm .
Oilers tried it without the "mentoring program"... how did that turn out?

You have no idea of the importance of what Loui brings, I trust Green on that more than I do you about dat dere.

(btw he said "subtle things", not "little things")

If Loui was "lackadaisical" Green wouldn't trust him as much as he does.

And so I must conclude you are also dead wrong about Mr Eriksson's attitude.

I see you mentioned his salary again:

I should also point out here, FYI, Loui wasn't the only vet/mentor brought in.

You're sounding like Blob today Donny, hittin' the bottle are ya? :drink:
I never said to try what the Oilers did nor did I argue that all veteran mentor signings were in error.

In fact, I would tend to agree that in a rebuild one should focus on retaining some veteran mentors and should be willing to pay for the same.
I'm going to stop you right there.

You jumped into this conversation to state management needs to strive each season for "best bang for the buck (PERIOD)".

Meanwhile my argument has been that 'bang for the buck' in a given year is not as important as completing a successful rebuild.

(short term 'bang for the buck' vs long term 'bang for the buck')

And then you shifted to focus exclusively on Loui's contract...

and here you seem to be contradicting yourself somewhat on your opening statement.

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:46 pm My reference to "lackadaisical" should have been qualified. When it comes to "offense" Loui is extremely lackadaisical. (You know, that part of his game that was supposed to be a large portion of the $6 Million when he first signed?).
But you already proclaimed him "lackadaisical".

In response I offered some evidence that he isn't (the way Green utilizes him shows he trusts him).

Your response to that is simply to just repeat your original proclamation?? :roll:

And AGAIN you bring up his salary?? :wow:

UMMM... scroll up to the point/you graph.

Strangelove: "It's okay to overpay some vets/mentors in a rebuild."

DonCherry4PM: "Yeah well this one particular vet is overpaid!" :lol:

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:46 pm As far as Green's comments go, it's nice of him to go easy on Loui but when one has to talk about "subtle things" or "little things" that others can't see to justify a player's game, it is pretty obvious (to most of us) that something is wrong.
Green agreeing with me does help my case and it's not bullshit because you can see he trusts Eriksson by the way he plays him.

Eriksson is one of the best defensive forwards in the league.

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:46 pm But like I first said, "Management isn’t actually about managing finances, reducing waste, increasing efficiency and productivity or getting the best bang for the buck." So we all good. Genius is at the wheel.
Big picture.

Overpaying vets (mentors) to join a rebuild might pay off in the long run.

(feeling some deja vu? perhaps you should get a friend to help you understand the point) :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Anyone defending Loui Eriksson’s performance is a fucking troll or a drooling idiot
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:54 pm Anyone defending Loui Eriksson’s performance is a fucking troll or a drooling idiot
You said yourself that you would be fine with Loui if his AAV was $3M.

And that's what we're talking about here... forgetting his salary, is he valuable to the team.
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:55 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:54 pm Anyone defending Loui Eriksson’s performance is a fucking troll or a drooling idiot
You said yourself that you would be fine with Loui if his AAV was $3M.

And that's what we're talking about here... forgetting his salary, is he valuable to the team.
No
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:58 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:46 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:58 pm .
Oilers tried it without the "mentoring program"... how did that turn out?
You have no idea of the importance of what Loui brings, I trust Green on that more than I do you about dat dere.
(btw he said "subtle things", not "little things")
If Loui was "lackadaisical" Green wouldn't trust him as much as he does.
And so I must conclude you are also dead wrong about Mr Eriksson's attitude.
I see you mentioned his salary again:
I should also point out here, FYI, Loui wasn't the only vet/mentor brought in.
You're sounding like Blob today Donny, hittin' the bottle are ya? :drink:
I never said to try what the Oilers did nor did I argue that all veteran mentor signings were in error.
In fact, I would tend to agree that in a rebuild one should focus on retaining some veteran mentors and should be willing to pay for the same.
I'm going to stop you right there.
You jumped into this conversation to state management needs to strive each season for "best bang for the buck (PERIOD)".
I never stated that but nice story.
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:39 pm Meanwhile my argument has been that 'bang for the buck' in a given year is not as important as completing a successful rebuild.
(short term 'bang for the buck' vs long term 'bang for the buck')
And then you shifted to focus exclusively on Loui's contract...
No. I introduced Loui’s contract as a case in point contract because it is terrible and doesn’t work for short or long term “bang for buck”.
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:39 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:46 pm My reference to "lackadaisical" should have been qualified. When it comes to "offense" Loui is extremely lackadaisical. (You know, that part of his game that was supposed to be a large portion of the $6 Million when he first signed?).
You already proclaimed him to be "lackadaisical".
But I qualified it this time. You should thank me.
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:39 pm The point was that it doesn't matter if you overpay some vets/mentors in a rebuild.
Salary may not be as important in a rebuild, but it is still important. Slightly overpaying for veteran mentorship is quite different from drastically overpaying (see Beagle’s vs. Loui’s contracts and the leadership each brings). The difference does matter (if not to you, definitely to the owners).
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:39 pm How many times are you going to respond to that with: "Yeah well this one vet is overpaid!" :lol:
Well since you are kind enough to ask, here is my answer:

If you rephrase your statement to exclude Loui’s contract (i.e. “it is acceptable to ‘slightly overpay’ some vets/mentors…”) then I will have no need to continue to bring up Loui’s contract as an instance of unacceptable overpayment during (or not during) a rebuild.
DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:46 pm As far as Green's comments go, it's nice of him to go easy on Loui but when one has to talk about "subtle things" or "little things" that others can't see to justify a player's game, it is pretty obvious (to most of us) that something is wrong.
Green agreeing with me does help my case and it's not bullshit because you can see he trusts Eriksson by the way he plays him.
Eriksson is one of the best defensive forwards in the league.
His contract is terrible. We all know it.
DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:46 pm But like I first said, "Management isn’t actually about managing finances, reducing waste, increasing efficiency and productivity or getting the best bang for the buck." So we all good. Genius is at the wheel.
Big picture.
Overpaying vets (mentors) to join a rebuild might pay off in the long run.
“Slightly overpaying” for good mentors may in fact be getting the best bang for the buck in both the long and the short term. But an albatross of a contract doesn’t accomplish either. To be clear, Loui’s contract is an albatross.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Give it up DC, Strange just argues for the sake of arguing.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:53 am Give it up DC, Strange just argues for the sake of arguing.
Cholla is a master of mental gymnastics.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:59 pm “Slightly overpaying” for good mentors may in fact be getting the best bang for the buck in both the long and the short term. But an albatross of a contract doesn’t accomplish either. To be clear, Loui’s contract is an albatross.
I think I found footage of an attempt to trade Loui...

Albeit, in all fairness, I do think he may have a role in helping Petey feel at home.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I get what doc is saying. We can afford the blunder for the moment and Loui isnt as bad as he is being made out here. Plus if he ever finds his touch he can score goals in bunches. (ha ya right lol)

By the time his hit becomes an issue it'll be expiring anyway. Lots of tears over not that big of a deal.
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:31 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:25 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:18 pm It’s a cap league. Cap decisions need to be made intelligently. Eriksson and Gudbranson are not good examples of cap management
Cap-usage does not really matter in a rebuild.

Cap-usage matters a lot when the window is open.

Let's talk when the window is open Chicken Little.
Right. Management isn’t actually about managing finances, reducing waste, increasing efficiency and productivity or getting the best bang for the buck.

You don’t happen to work for government do you?
^ This is where the debate began.

Since then, DonCherry4PM has backed way off and now says it's okay to "slightly" overpay in a rebuild.

WIN: Strangelove :mex:

Now, DonCherry4PM and yours truly have differing opinions on what Loui brings to a team in a rebuild.

And of course poster DonCherry4PM is entitled to his opinion.

Me, I agree with coach Green's words and actions in this regard...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol he wins because he twists things in knots and people forget what they were even debating in the first place. Cholla takes one phrase of a post and mangles the entire debate until the other poster says fuck it and then Cholla declares himself the winner. :lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:54 pm Lol he wins because he twists things in knots
Actually, if you were paying attention, you'd realize I just untwisted things.

DC4PM was doing all the twisting here, you'd clearly see that if I hadn't put the boots to you so many times.

Sad!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:12 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:54 pm Lol he wins because he twists things in knots
Actually, if you were paying attention, you'd realize I just untwisted things.

DC4PM was doing all the twisting here, you'd clearly see that if I hadn't put the boots to you so many times.

Sad!
It’s nice that you have dreams even in your 60s
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

"I shall have my revenge!" - Head-caved Blob Mckenzie
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:32 pm "I shall have my revenge!" - Head-caved Blob Mckenzie
Cholla you are a funny, chunky little guy. :)