GDT: 18/12/18; Bolts vs Canucks, 7pm SNETP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: 18/12/18; Bolts vs Canucks, 7pm SNETP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Loved the overall response, particularly Gudbranson's uppercut, to some pretty greasy play by Tampa. The opposite of Sedinery.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:46 am In the end a mighty fine performance by the the young guns + savvy depth vets vs the best team in the league with their star players (stamkos and hedman) having 9,10 years of NHL experience, plus their goalie making some brilliant saves.

A good learning game of how scrappy you gotta play sometimes, a solid stepping stone, now to continue on the momentum.

:thumbs:
The wars and hate for the black cocks is what formed the team 10 years ago. I saw some of the same fire in this game and i liked it! If the best team in the league hates you and is taking runs at you you're doing something right.
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

About last night...

There was a game, too. This thread is full of comments on the hits, the retribution, the hockey code, etc. But let's not get lost in this that the Canucks played toe to toe with the Lightning in the game-not-within-the-game, though the outcome wasn't as desired. If the power play had clicked....

Why push back (and more) now? When Pettersson and Baer were dumped, the Canucks didn't respond like they did last night. So what's the difference?

There are a few possibilities. First, Green was the one holding the reins in the other games. But Green was hot after no major was called by the officials. My guess is that he didn't give the play-it-cool instruction. My guess is that he said something else. And if he didn't (second), the players are far more comfortable with their spots in the lineup and their roles on the team than they were at the beginning of the year. They've earned beg-forgiveness status; early in the season they are in ask-permission mode. Another point related to the time of the season is that the group has started to come together, in no small part because they've taken the plane out of the nosedive. One collective effort begets another. Note that fighting doesn't build team cohesion (an argument floated early in the season); it occurs because there is cohesion (or a lot of anger!). Third, the hits on Pettersson and Baer didn't occur in the midst of a game that was already on edge. They were dirty hits in the atmosphere of just-another-game, as opposed to a near-playoff vibe. The Canucks were primed to respond; they'd been getting it and giving it all night.

But is it always the right response? No, I don't think it is. Turning the other cheek can be effective. Always responding with great thunder will paint more targets on players' back (for the stripes and the opposition), and also lead to injury. But doing it every once in a while with full force? Brilliant. Add the crazy. Makes the opposition think twice.

Gudbrandson That's the example of crazy. A full uppercut with a guy pinned. Its totally bush league and I don't approve. And I am glad he did it. The paradox of the day....

Elias Pettersson handles the puck better with his feet than Schaller does with his stick.

Jake Virtanen played a great game. I like it when he is confident about little things, like, sure I am going to strip the puck from you. No big deal....

Brock Boeser. If he were a Swede, half this board would say he doesn't care (talking about his play, not talking about stepping up for Pettersson, which was good). Of course he cares. He isn't casual; he looks casual. And same with Eriksson, who really is starting to play better. Did you see all the little things? :lol: (Emojis aside, Eriksson is looking pretty good right now). Boeser, though, didn't do things little or big last night.

Adam Gaudette. Time to trust him more, Green. Don't get me wrong, he's probably the odd man out when Baer and Sutter return, but I am bullish on his future -- though maybe he won't turn out to be a top 6 guy. It would help, though, to put him in some more challenging spots and play him during important times. Responsibility is not his weak spot, and if he's going to center a third line, then let's see what he can do late in games against 2d, 3d , or 4th lines.

Antione Roussel really is Alex Burrows 2.0. Haven't seen the scoring touch, but he is starting to fly like Burrows once could and, in addition to his overall pestiness, and seems to play smart in the offensive zone (which is why he's not Matt Cooke v 2.0). By far the best of the 3-headed wouldn't-this-money-have-looked-nice-on-a-top-4-defenseman acquisitions.

John Cooper. Fist bump? Really? I get that the kid doesn't know whether he has just f***ed up or is a hero and maybe Cooper wants to give him something to relieve the anxiety. But the thing to do if you *liked* what he did is put your hand on his shoulder and tell him, "keep playing hard, but keep your head up." And Captain Stamkos? Should privately give the kid the business. His actions exposed all of them to getting injured.
Hono_rary Canadian
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

I'm bummed a Canuck got injured but Martel didn't appear to target the head. It almost looks like he intended should to shoulder and got the geometry wrong. And the coach bumped a fist that was there to bump.

We aren't THIS sensitive in Canucks land are we?

TBH I am more disgusted with 44's response. What is it about that number?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I think the bicep made initial contact and the elbow just flipped up as he finished the check.
The puck was right there. (That part is always going to be vague).
My honest opinion has to be; A two minute interference penalty.
Stecher has to be more aware of the close proximity, This is a problem with him. He's thinking about what he's going to attempt
and looking around for potential team mates to pass to.
Was it dirty? Ya, somewhat. Not suspension worthy with the current standards.
As a player, you have to protect yourself the best you can and standing still or moving slowly, not looking is gonna get you hurt.
Beware the gliding hits; You can't hear them coming.
Sometimes a yell from a team mate will save you.
I don't have a problem with the way the Canucks fought back nor in the methods they employed because it's a fuck of a lot
better then doing something at break-neck game speed, open ice or from behind.
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Ridiculous. The league has told the players that these types of hits are illegal checks to the head and have suspended for similar incidents.

Martel came in at an angle from behind and made the head the first point of contact and also drove his shoulder upwards.

Now, a phone call isn't even warranted? When a player is blindsided, he can't see it coming, has no way to prepare for the hit and is completely defenseless. He has absolutely no recourse. Yet, Martel knows retaliation is coming and Gudbranson's uppercut to the gut is the WORST, most disgusting thing to ever happen in hockey?

Here's the thing... there is no retaliation without instigation.

In the EDM game, Khaira will likely get suspended for a crosscheck to the head of the Blues player. However, it was in retaliation to the player who first crosschecked him in the head. I'm fairly certain the Blues player will be the victim and walk away scott-free.

Martel will have a tummy ache. Stecher will have to follow protocol and might be out for a while. I don't love the Trojan, but I prefer him in the bottom pairing than a regular dose of Biega.

So no, I loved the RESPONSE from all of the Canucks. They did what they HAD to do and could do after the refs lost the game. If cheap Ben Hutton didn't jump in as 3rd man in on Paquette, Brock would have been smashed.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

With any luck, the Lil trojan will be out for an extended period of time.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The perpetrator

Five foot eight / 162 pounds. must be all in the neck.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

We need a slow-mo angle that shows who corked his eye. Somebody got a solid headshot in on the little weasel and I'd love to watch it over and over...
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It was a blindsided hit. Stetcher couldn’t protect himself from that.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

[quote=Hank post_id=323664 time=1545244377 user_id=301
I don't love the Trojan, but I prefer him in the bottom pairing than a regular dose of Biega.

[/quote]

Me either but to me the bottom five d men on this team are of about equal quality or thereabouts
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Carlyee wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:52 am I'm bummed a Canuck got injured but Martel didn't appear to target the head. It almost looks like he intended should to shoulder and got the geometry wrong. And the coach bumped a fist that was there to bump.

Really you are disgusted by 44’s response?

You are in the Minority and may prefer the days of the Sedins and score on the PP?

Fuck that, this was a message to the league that crap gets crap x2 back. Won’t happen in a lot of games but needs to happen in some.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:19 pm
Carlyee wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:52 am I'm bummed a Canuck got injured but Martel didn't appear to target the head. It almost looks like he intended should to shoulder and got the geometry wrong. And the coach bumped a fist that was there to bump.

Really you are disgusted by 44’s response?

You are in the Minority and may prefer the days of the Sedins and score on the PP?

Fuck that, this was a message to the league that crap gets crap x2 back. Won’t happen in a lot of games but needs to happen in some.
If EG wants to make things happen either take lay him out with a hit or square up and fight. A gutless sucker punch while the ref holds him down doesn't impress me. But I've stood in a ring with someone whose sole mission is to knock me the fuck out so maybe my perspective is out slightly from yours. I don't know anything about you so who am I to say.....
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

What a mis-characterization. Gudbranson was trying to high five him, give him the fist pump.
The only HW the Canucks need