GDT: 18/12/18; Bolts vs Canucks, 7pm SNETP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: 18/12/18; Bolts vs Canucks, 7pm SNETP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:26 pm What a mis-characterization. Gudbranson was trying to high five him, give him the fist pump.
To me Gudbranson’s poor play of late is secondary. I enjoyed both sucker punches.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Carlyee wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:06 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:19 pm
Carlyee wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:52 am I'm bummed a Canuck got injured but Martel didn't appear to target the head. It almost looks like he intended should to shoulder and got the geometry wrong. And the coach bumped a fist that was there to bump.

We aren't THIS sensitive in Canucks land are we?

TBH I am more disgusted with 44's response. What is it about that number?
Really you are disgusted by 44’s response?

You are in the Minority and may prefer the days of the Sedins and score on the PP?

Fuck that, this was a message to the league that crap gets crap x2 back. Won’t happen in a lot of games but needs to happen in some.
If EG wants to make things happen either take lay him out with a hit or square up and fight. A gutless sucker punch while the ref holds him down doesn't impress me. But I've stood in a ring with someone whose sole mission is to knock me the fuck out so maybe my perspective is out slightly from yours. I don't know anything about you so who am I to say.....
Well this isn't boxing and there is no way Martel would have agreed to fight the Guds.

(hopefully you're not suggesting the Guds lacked the "guts" to fight Martel?) :eh:

Sometimes in hockey... when the refs fail... it's an eye for an eye.

That fistpump was for Martel taking his medicine like a man.

(he's not a man... but he's "like" a man) :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:54 pm I enjoyed both sucker punches.
:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 pm
Carlyee wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:06 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:19 pm
Carlyee wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:52 am I'm bummed a Canuck got injured but Martel didn't appear to target the head. It almost looks like he intended should to shoulder and got the geometry wrong. And the coach bumped a fist that was there to bump.

We aren't THIS sensitive in Canucks land are we?

TBH I am more disgusted with 44's response. What is it about that number?
Really you are disgusted by 44’s response?

You are in the Minority and may prefer the days of the Sedins and score on the PP?

Fuck that, this was a message to the league that crap gets crap x2 back. Won’t happen in a lot of games but needs to happen in some.
If EG wants to make things happen either take lay him out with a hit or square up and fight. A gutless sucker punch while the ref holds him down doesn't impress me. But I've stood in a ring with someone whose sole mission is to knock me the fuck out so maybe my perspective is out slightly from yours. I don't know anything about you so who am I to say.....
Well this isn't boxing and there is no way Martel would have agreed to fight the Guds.

(hopefully you're not suggesting the Guds didn't have the "guts" to fight Martel?) :eh:

Sometimes in hockey... when the refs fail... it's an eye for an eye.

That fistpump was for Martel taking his medicine like a man.

(he's not a man... but he's "like" a man) :wink:
I like EG. All the shitty plays he makes i still appreciate him being on the team. But punching a guy being restrained by the ref is a gutless move. The man is separate from this one action. EG is not gutless. But Martel is also gutless for not fighting. But welcome to the new nhl.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Carlyee wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:23 pm punching a guy being restrained by the ref is a gutless move... But welcome to the new nhl.
Quite.

One must extract one's pound of flesh where one can in the new NHL.

Jolly good show and two thumbs up from yours truly for Mr Gudbranson. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 pm
Carlyee wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:23 pm punching a guy being restrained by the ref is a gutless move... But welcome to the new nhl.
Quite.

I actually like controlled violence for the most part. But what I believe we have here is merely a philosophical difference. I appreciate you responding in a rational manner rather than an emotional one. Rise of the cold calculating lizard brains.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Sorry, Hank; I guess the guy is a little prick. But look! Jake is already on his card. :evil:
http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights/Fi ... P=80878&L=

And; That's a lot of penalty minutes.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=143904

Stech does have to protect himself better. He's been taking too many hits from the start
Heads gotta be up more!

So far as Martel goes; Image
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Carlyee wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:39 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 pm
Quite.

I actually like controlled violence for the most part. But what I believe we have here is merely a philosophical difference. I appreciate you responding in a rational manner rather than an emotional one. Rise of the cold calculating lizard brains.
Quite right old chum, anything less would be uncivilized. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Man, missed yesterday's game. Sounds like I missed a good one. Sounds similar to the Flames/Nucks game back to Tort's time. I luv old school hockey. *hehe* They didn't show much of the scrums/fights in the highlights. Hopefully ppl will post more up soon. I'm particularly interested in the altercation that Brockstar/Hutty got into if anyone has a link.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Imagine if we'd won last night.

Yeah that's what the 2011 Bruins felt like.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:20 pm Imagine if we'd won last night.

Yeah that's what the 2011 Bruins felt like.
The future will be fun
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hank wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:32 am Ridiculous. The league has told the players that these types of hits are illegal checks to the head and have suspended for similar incidents.

Martel came in at an angle from behind and made the head the first point of contact and also drove his shoulder upwards.

Now, a phone call isn't even warranted? When a player is blindsided, he can't see it coming, has no way to prepare for the hit and is completely defenseless. He has absolutely no recourse. Yet, Martel knows retaliation is coming and Gudbranson's uppercut to the gut is the WORST, most disgusting thing to ever happen in hockey?

Here's the thing... there is no retaliation without instigation.

In the EDM game, Khaira will likely get suspended for a crosscheck to the head of the Blues player. However, it was in retaliation to the player who first crosschecked him in the head. I'm fairly certain the Blues player will be the victim and walk away scott-free.

Martel will have a tummy ache. Stecher will have to follow protocol and might be out for a while. I don't love the Trojan, but I prefer him in the bottom pairing than a regular dose of Biega.

So no, I loved the RESPONSE from all of the Canucks. They did what they HAD to do and could do after the refs lost the game. If cheap Ben Hutton didn't jump in as 3rd man in on Paquette, Brock would have been smashed.
With the Martel thing, the refs and nhl player safety are just following the rules with no 5 min major and no suspension/fine, if we wanted any change it has to be done at the league side in regards to defenseless hits, taking a page from the NFL rulebook.
It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.....

Penalty: For unnecessary roughness: Loss of 15 yards and an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be flagrant.
https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nf ... ss-player/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.