GDT: Nov.29/18, Vegas@Canucks, 7pm, SNETP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Nov.29/18, Vegas@Canucks, 7pm, SNETP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Is the Canucks season so bad that we're boasting about software haha haha.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:29 pm My 3D GIS package builds an internal DB that I use for geostats and mapping and analysis.
Do you use Arc GIS?

As an economist, I don't work with GIS myself, but working at the Swedish Authority for Mapping, Cadaster and Land Registration, a lot of the engineers and surveyors at work do. It's at the core what we do.

My eldest daughter is a GIS engineer but she works for a consultant company. She actually combines Arc GIS, Survey123 and Excel to build apps that her clients use to check if something they come across is already registered, and if not register it with the correct coordinates right away on their cell phone. GIS software is definitely very useful.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:06 pm Is the Canucks season so bad that we're boasting about software haha haha.
Nothing is ever bad enough to make software gibberish interesting
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Software can be cool.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Microsoft 1998 WW2 flight simulator software cover. The P-51D (Mustang) in the forefront is my picture.
$15,000 US-onetime usage, (and freeze the image for 3 years).

Haha, another company bought an even, in fact, much better pic of a different but similar shot from me of the same model warbird
6 days later for $10,000 US. Not bad for a week.

"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I've used Arc for some clients and it is slowly becoming, if it hasn't already, the GIS standard. It is cumbersome because it is targeted at such a wide and varied market. I more often use MapInfo with the Discover add on. After MapInfo was bought a few years ago by Pitney Bowes, much of the mining side of it was stripped out making it a GIS package for marketing and sales users. Fortunately a mining software company has bought that side of the business and is reinvigorating it.

I make a map in MapInfo/Discover and dump it as a geotiff or as a geo referenced pdf onto my phone, then use a free app, Avenza Maps, to collect my field data. I can dump from the app as gpx and txt back into MapInfo/Discover that evening.

You can freely download transit and park maps, all of BC's 1:20,000 topo maps as well, in geo referenced pdf format and then use your phones gps to navigate and track without needed a cell or data connection.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:03 am Microsoft 1998 WW2 flight simulator software cover. The P-51D (Mustang) in the forefront is my picture.
$15,000 US-onetime usage, (and freeze the image for 3 years).

Haha, another company bought an even, in fact, much better pic of a different but similar shot from me of the same model warbird
6 days later for $10,000 US. Not bad for a week.

I had that game!
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:50 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:55 pm
Topper wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:29 pm My 3D GIS package builds an internal DB that I use for geostats and mapping and analysis.
You must have killer computer to handle GIS.
Mediocre gaming laptop, i7, some run of the mill nvidia graphics card, ok amount of ram. I got this one in July after my previous one died. Graphics card went POP and there was an acrid burnt electrical smell coming from it.
Yup you need a superior graphics card for that work, intense graphics data info, my colleague does that, and his card gave out as well, so work upgraded his rig to 16gb ram, SSD, 3gb GeForce GTX graphics card, shit flys!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.