Canucks @ Panthers 7:00 PM ET SN1, FS-F

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks @ Panthers 7:00 PM ET SN1, FS-F

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Haven’t been agreeing with ole paddy much lately but that game last night was as low as Marchand speed bagging Sedin. Benning, Green and Horvat can take their 2 points and and shove it up their faggoty asses. Curt Fraser and Stan Smyl? You want guys who will protect their Swede (Gradin), there you go. Tired of this shit plaguing this organization. Steamer must be seething.

When Gradin came into the league there were still bench clearing brawls, the NHL was at its absolute toughest back then, you know what the Canucks did? They put him between one of the games best scrappers - Fraser and a 5’-9” 220 lb bowling ball - Smyl who hit like a truck, relentlessly, every shift, night in night out all game long. How often did you see Gradin get bitch slapped? Never. Wake up and smell the fucking coffee
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

micky107 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:55 pm Late last night, I spent a few minutes reading comments from Florida hockey boards.
Even their HF board is almost obnoxiously polite.
A very different hockey market there, to be sure. (relocation one day).
Anyway, from their hockey fandom core, they are not pleased with Matheson, (the hit nary got mentioned).
What was prevalent was how disappointed they are in his development and progress as a player.
They have been coming down on him.

Connect the dots?

I was going back and forth between the Florida feed and the Vancouver feed. (Everytime the crappy NHL ap crashed, I picked the other feed). Anyway, I was watching the Florida feed when the play happened. When they slo-mo'ed the replay, they stopped it before the take down (just the check). And they concluded it was a clean hit, and that Green must have agreed because he was calm....

Florida has a decent team now that Barkov is in the ballpark of his potential, but maybe they shouldnt have made that deal with vegas.... (Please take two of our best players, okay? We are worried you will only take one....)
Hono_rary Canadian
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Let’s all join hands an sing Kumbaya, UW. I could give two shits if some think the hit was clean and btw, it wasn’t. The hit was personal to Matheson. The young lad was embarrassing him all night and went out of his way to get even. Real teams stuck up for one another. Green “2 points were on the line”. Really? Fuck of Travis, fuck of Horvat our supposed next captain. Show some fucking moxy
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:15 pm Just sayin' big fella N. Ritchie is still without a contract. (RFA).

Actually, that was a game I wouldn't mind seeing our old bud Kassassian back, but that bridge may have been burned.
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:17 am This is when I miss people like Quinn, Torterella, Burke, etc.
Yar, this is also a time I wouldn't mind seeing Torts behind our bench. We need Torts to go apeshit on that player, the coach, the ref, media, anybody. :D
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:52 pm Lol!

Team chemistry is forged in battle. Nothing would've bonded this core like a brawl over that hit. The one to start it would've become heart and sole. This is the missing element of the current core.

Balls's. Big hairy balls's
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Todd has a nephew. 23-yo. Would fit in age-wise with the new core.

Can we make a trade? :|

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/1 ... r-bertuzzi

Assuming, of course, that Tag is still too young...
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/2 ... g-bertuzzi
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:25 pm Let’s all join hands an sing Kumbaya, UW. I could give two shits if some think the hit was clean and btw, it wasn’t. The hit was personal to Matheson. The young lad was embarrassing him all night and went out of his way to get even. Real teams stuck up for one another. Green “2 points were on the line”. Really? Fuck of Travis, fuck of Horvat our supposed next captain. Show some fucking moxy
Kumbaya? My point was to give context to the Florida board chatter; the feed most of them watched didn't show the take down.

As for running guys who run our guys, there is a question of honor. Thats why you pay back. But that's it.

The deterrence argument is crap. Goons or no goons, star players get run or get harassed with entirely extra curricular stick work. If Matheson got a "response" Petterson is still vulnerable. Gudbrandson answered the bell, is he really going to be skittish about hitting because he had to fight? Cmon.

If anything, there is running today, with less goons.
That's because first, goons are not otherwise nhl player and have two roles: run/harass star players, stand up for teammates. Eliminate guys whose job it is to harass and harassment declines. Second, the real deterrence is NHL player safety and the prospect of losing a lot of coin.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:13 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:25 pm Let’s all join hands an sing Kumbaya, UW. I could give two shits if some think the hit was clean and btw, it wasn’t. The hit was personal to Matheson. The young lad was embarrassing him all night and went out of his way to get even. Real teams stuck up for one another. Green “2 points were on the line”. Really? Fuck of Travis, fuck of Horvat our supposed next captain. Show some fucking moxy
Kumbaya? My point was to give context to the Florida board chatter; the feed most of them watched didn't show the take down.

As for running guys who run our guys, there is a question of honor. Thats why you pay back. But that's it.

The deterrence argument is crap. Goons or no goons, star players get run or get harassed with entirely extra curricular stick work. If Matheson got a "response" Petterson is still vulnerable. Gudbrandson answered the bell, is he really going to be skittish about hitting because he had to fight? Cmon.

That's because first, goons are not otherwise nhl player and have two roles: run/harass star players, stand up for teammates. Eliminate guys whose job it is to harass and harassment declines. Second, the real deterrence is NHL player safety and the prospect of losing a lot of coin.
Sorry. that is 100% arm chair semantics! It doesn't work that way.
Not all have played the game at some level, this is true.
You can know the rules and write like an author but unless you've played at an intense level and felt what players do or had a close relationship in hockey, don't see how these comments can be taken seriously.
Your last sentence kinda makes me laugh when multi millionaires like Kadri and Marchant, and should I go on?
C'mon.
"evolution"
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

WTH is "arm chair semantics"? Is that somehow related to demographics?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 am WTH his "arm chair semantics"? Is that somehow related to demographics?
#1- Fixed your post.

#2- It could be if I was doing a study for an organization that wanted to know how many beverages he may purchase in a specific circumstance.

#3- W.T.F.
"evolution"
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:57 pm Haven’t been agreeing with ole paddy much lately but that game last night was as low as Marchand speed bagging Sedin. Benning, Green and Horvat can take their 2 points and and shove it up their faggoty asses. Curt Fraser and Stan Smyl? You want guys who will protect their Swede (Gradin), there you go. Tired of this shit plaguing this organization. Steamer must be seething.

When Gradin came into the league there were still bench clearing brawls, the NHL was at its absolute toughest back then, you know what the Canucks did? They put him between one of the games best scrappers - Fraser and a 5’-9” 220 lb bowling ball - Smyl who hit like a truck, relentlessly, every shift, night in night out all game long. How often did you see Gradin get bitch slapped? Never. Wake up and smell the fucking coffee
Fraser,Gradin, Smyl ? .. Gadjovich,Pettersson, Virtanen ? Close enough 😁
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

micky107 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:08 am
UWSaint wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:13 am

Sorry. that is 100% arm chair semantics! It doesn't work that way.
Not all have played the game at some level, this is true.
You can know the rules and write like an author but unless you've played at an intense level and felt what players do or had a close relationship in hockey, don't see how these comments can be taken seriously.
Your last sentence kinda makes me laugh when multi millionaires like Kadri and Marchant, and should I go on?
C'mon.
Whether running star players is up or down is an empirical question. It isn't, but it happens. So I am looking for explanations and there are two big changes. Fewer goons and more league sanctions. Certainly there isn't an overall increase in "making them pay" across the league.

And sanctions don't effect every player the same way. Head cases are head cases -- hockey is full of passionate intensity -- some players think it's worth it, etc. But they change behavior -- the number of fewer head shots is noticeable.

Marchand's play has changed, even if he is a frequent flyer. So did Cooke's one he started getting the fines. I don't watch the leaves much, so I can't say much about Kadri.

It isn't semantics to emphasize the difference between pay back for honor and pay back for deterrence. I don't know where I have written that the Canucks shouldn't have responded to this. Oh, yeah, I didn't. What I am saying is that there isn't a collateral benefit of "protecting" players. Maybe a benefit of is team unity. Maybe a benefit is *justice* (and just desserts/retribution).
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey is a complicated game in many ways. So much that viewers, even live spectators do not see, and just as important, hear.

Trust me, emotion kicks in.

"evolution"
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

micky107 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 am
5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 am WTH his "arm chair semantics"? Is that somehow related to demographics?
#1- Fixed your post.

#2- It could be if I was doing a study for an organization that wanted to know how many beverages he may purchase in a specific circumstance.

#3- W.T.F.
Groan. You didn't fix anything, even as a joke. Maybe another fall off a roof will fix things. Until then, more gibberish.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

UWSaint wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:00 pm I was thinking during the game how well Petterson was absorbing hits. He'd spin out of them, going with the force of the contact. It's the difference between driving over the center line and colliding vs. A lane change accident where cars are moving in the same direction.

On this hit, he got the can opener. He couldn't spin out of it, because the stick was wedged between his legs. And he couldn't spin away because matheson's left arm was around him.

Petterson's relative size made it easier, but without the can opener, this probably doesn't happen. It is as dirty as a slew foot. It was dangerous, it was intentional, it was not a hockey play, and it resulted in injury. I see no reason why this play should not get the same type of review as head hunting. That a player was using the ice instead of his elbow to make contact with the head nakes no difference. The ice is hard and can end careers. Ask Pat Lafontaine.

As for the lack of a response, the players were following the coach's orders. It's on Green. Nevertheless, Elder was hacking Brower the entire next shift. Watch it. Matheson, of course, wasnt on the ice.

But the idea that heavies protect stars is overblown. The fact is that heavies did stuff all the time to stand up for the stars. Because players were still running at the stars. The "code" says go after Matheson; the mafia knows better. Their target would be Trochek.
The set up to the throw down was eerily similar to what effectively ended Mason Raymond.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.