Canucks @ Panthers 7:00 PM ET SN1, FS-F

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks @ Panthers 7:00 PM ET SN1, FS-F

Post by Mickey107 »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 am WTH is "arm chair semantics"? Is that somehow related to demographics?
UFYP

Been a while since I've seen anything more than sarcastic, one line, barbs from you.
It's not real paper you know. Feel free to contribute your hockey thoughts.

LOL; I didn't have to tell, have my kid tell, that I fell off my roof and was injured.
I could have just came back and said I've been on vacation.
But even I thought what happened was funny in a painful sort of way.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Topper wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:55 am
UWSaint wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:00 pm I was thinking during the game how well Petterson was absorbing hits. He'd spin out of them, going with the force of the contact. It's the difference between driving over the center line and colliding vs. A lane change accident where cars are moving in the same direction.

On this hit, he got the can opener. He couldn't spin out of it, because the stick was wedged between his legs. And he couldn't spin away because matheson's left arm was around him.

Petterson's relative size made it easier, but without the can opener, this probably doesn't happen. It is as dirty as a slew foot. It was dangerous, it was intentional, it was not a hockey play, and it resulted in injury. I see no reason why this play should not get the same type of review as head hunting. That a player was using the ice instead of his elbow to make contact with the head nakes no difference. The ice is hard and can end careers. Ask Pat Lafontaine.

As for the lack of a response, the players were following the coach's orders. It's on Green. Nevertheless, Elder was hacking Brower the entire next shift. Watch it. Matheson, of course, wasnt on the ice.

But the idea that heavies protect stars is overblown. The fact is that heavies did stuff all the time to stand up for the stars. Because players were still running at the stars. The "code" says go after Matheson; the mafia knows better. Their target would be Trochek.
The set up to the throw down was eerily similar to what effectively ended Mason Raymond.
Good observation. Deserves to be at the top of a page.
"evolution"
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

Royal Dude pretty much nailed it.

The hit was behind the play so to an extent I give the players on the ice at the time a pass. However none of them helping the kid to the bench was a bit shitty.

This is all on Green, he gave Bo and the team specific direction to not retaliate with a hit, a chirp or a fight. None of that happened. Then Green doubles down in the post game interview and mentions the two points are more important than standing up for your leading scorer who is in only his 5th NHL game. Winning and standing up for your team can not exist in the same world according to Green.

Don't shit on the players because there are guys in the room that would have loved to push back. Green stopped it. During Horvats post game he mentions "we stayed composed and got the win". What is this a playoff game?!!! Your star player just got concussed?!! Did you forget the standing ovation he got in Van City when he scored his first goal!, does anyone know what this guy means to the win column and the gate at Rogers Arena?!

At the end of the day we can debate whether or not pushing back would prevent or deter further cheap shots, I think to an extent but they will always be apart of the game. The biggest problem with ZERO push back on the ice and no emotion in regards to the hit after the game by Green is that it sends a direct message to EP, QH or Boeser that when a guy hits you illegally and you get a serious brain injury we as a team - we will just keep playing and ignore that they just took you out. The pushback is for the injured player, this is what a team is FFS - this creates a feeling of brotherhood, trust and a feeling that we are all in this together and will take care of each other. Green's approach would have divided opinion in the room I'm sure of that.

We got two points! - I know we are going to miss the playoffs and we lost our star player, but we got the two points.. Green and Horvat failed miserably in the leadership department on this one. So disappointing.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

micky107 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:06 am
5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 am WTH is "arm chair semantics"? Is that somehow related to demographics?
UFYP

Been a while since I've seen anything more than sarcastic, one line, barbs from you.
It's not real paper you know. Feel free to contribute your hockey thoughts.

LOL; I didn't have to tell, have my kid tell, that I fell off my roof and was injured.
I could have just came back and said I've been on vacation.
But even I thought what happened was funny in a painful sort of way.
A very reasonable response from you Mick.

My hockey thoughts? To be honest, it's a very polarising debate that I find hard make my mind up on, but certainly a lot of the extreme views taken are due, at least in part, to years of suffering turn-the-other-cheek Sedinery. Also don't understand why EP is still with the team for the duration of the road trip when he's out for 7-10 days. Surely more flying is not a good idea and he should just go straight home to proper care.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Just read this, sorry Mick but damn this is funny, and good on you for laughing along most of the time.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

DHA wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:11 am Royal Dude pretty much nailed it.

The hit was behind the play so to an extent I give the players on the ice at the time a pass. However none of them helping the kid to the bench was a bit shitty.

This is all on Green, he gave Bo and the team specific direction to not retaliate with a hit, a chirp or a fight. None of that happened. Then Green doubles down in the post game interview and mentions the two points are more important than standing up for your leading scorer who is in only his 5th NHL game. Winning and standing up for your team can not exist in the same world according to Green.

Don't shit on the players because there are guys in the room that would have loved to push back. Green stopped it. During Horvats post game he mentions "we stayed composed and got the win". What is this a playoff game?!!! Your star player just got concussed?!! Did you forget the standing ovation he got in Van City when he scored his first goal!, does anyone know what this guy means to the win column and the gate at Rogers Arena?!

At the end of the day we can debate whether or not pushing back would prevent or deter further cheap shots, I think to an extent but they will always be apart of the game. The biggest problem with ZERO push back on the ice and no emotion in regards to the hit after the game by Green is that it sends a direct message to EP, QH or Boeser that when a guy hits you illegally and you get a serious brain injury we as a team - we will just keep playing and ignore that they just took you out. The pushback is for the injured player, this is what a team is FFS - this creates a feeling of brotherhood, trust and a feeling that we are all in this together and will take care of each other. Green's approach would have divided opinion in the room I'm sure of that.

We got two points! - I know we are going to miss the playoffs and we lost our star player, but we got the two points.. Green and Horvat failed miserably in the leadership department on this one. So disappointing.
Well said DHA, other teams push back, Canucks not so much.

I sure hope there is some embarrassment in the locker for the lack of push back and some good soul discussions between management and Green that next time something, anything must happen?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

You know in this day and age players are online reading whats going down. There will be lurkers on boards like this from time to time even just to see where public opinion is at.
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Absolutely.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

WAKE UP GREENIE :twisted:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Imagine if the team added Nick Ritchie and Tryamkin to the team.

Ritchie, Tryamkin, Gudbranson, Schaller, Virtanen.
With pesky dude Roussel.

That's the 2011 bruins toughness right there.

I'd be scared to crunch EP to the boards without vast repercussions to yourself and your teammates.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

It's no good if Mr Green is going to neuter them Skyo.

Shades of Giggles right there...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Greener is doing the classic Blobbee Mac Backpedal right now after hearing all the rage back home over the incident

Too late

“2 points were on the table”
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I just finished watching the game, Elias spent much of the game making Matheson look stupid. Matheson's shift after the takedown was when Sven and Bo worked the give and go on him. Caught him flat footed.

There was a shift around the 7min mark when there were two whistles, but they were no scrums. Same shift Matheson had Bo against the boards and once again, stick between the legs to control the forward's movement.

This is the same "play between the whistles" AV hockey that got Daniel speed bagged.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:27 pm It's no good if Mr Green is going to neuter them Skyo.

Shades of Giggles right there...
I am confused, I agree with Doc and RD.

Someone help me.

Listening to Green now does he honestly expect us to believe him when he says he did not know because in so many times you see coaches throughout the league watching replays on their iPad? I mean how else would you know when to question an offside.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:43 pm I am confused.....

Someone help me.
Is this Reef's rock bottom?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.