GDT: Canucks @ Hurricanes; 09-Oct,18; 4:00pm SN1-SD

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Hurricanes; 09-Oct,18; 4:00pm SN1-SD

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:42 pm I didn’t say I wished it. Learn to read. He will get the hook with another garbage season and it’s got fuck all to do with wishing. Lol at Faulk and a vet up front being enough to propel this scabby team into the playoffs. Lay off the bath salts
Nope he won't, the owners are down for the long haul, said clearly it's going to be a long process, meaning no quick fixes, let the youth go through the growing pains, continue to draft and develop well, like what all Championship teams go through.
From the Patriots, Golden State Warriors to the Chicago Blackhawks, all had superb drafted teams, it's the proven way to build a lasting empire in pro sports.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Due to Brock's injury at the end of last season, I will cut him some slack for now. It was a scary injury and he will probably be back up to speed by christmas. Good news is that this injury should help us with contract negotiations. Defense and goaltending a mess? Well, we already knew that.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:33 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:42 pm I didn’t say I wished it. Learn to read. He will get the hook with another garbage season and it’s got fuck all to do with wishing. Lol at Faulk and a vet up front being enough to propel this scabby team into the playoffs. Lay off the bath salts
Nope he won't, the owners are down for the long haul, said clearly it's going to be a long process, meaning no quick fixes, let the youth go through the growing pains, continue to draft and develop well, like what all Championship teams go through.
From the Patriots, Golden State Warriors to the Chicago Blackhawks, all had superb drafted teams, it's the proven way to build a lasting empire in pro sports.
Thanks for the history lesson.

The owners have him on a short leash. He is in year 1 of a two year + option (ownership option). They aren’t going to putbup with a 65 point season and a horrific product six years in a row. They aren’t a playoff team next year either. They need to show improvement, it’s commom fucking sense and I’m sure Benning knows this too
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hank wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:52 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:41 pm
Hank wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:39 pm The goalies are (part of) the problem. No one can deny that.
So is the special Olympics show on the back end. But I doubt anyone will mention that. Easier to find one goalie than 4 d men
Everyone mentions that NON-STOP. If goalies are easy to find, they wouldn't have Markstrom and Nilsson.

Markstrom only had an average second game against the Flames. Honestly, he is hardly any better than Mike Smith.
Maybe Pettersson should tend goal... ?

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:11 am

The owners have him on a short leash. He is in year 1 of a two year + option (ownership option). They aren’t going to putbup with a 65 point season and a horrific product six years in a row. They aren’t a playoff team next year either. They need to show improvement, it’s commom fucking sense and I’m sure Benning knows this too
Well the head italian in charge will be on the radio tomorrow on sportsnet, so we will see and get a sense of his vision and if he EXPECTS mad improvement on the team in the rebuilding years OR ELSE heads will roll as you imply.

But I don't think management and coaches will be a on a short 1 year leash lol, it's the rebuilding years - the Sedins JUST retired for crying out loud, of course there is going to be some growing pains.

I think the team will improve ever so slightly by seasons end as they figure out their plans for the post Sedin years, with new leadership formed, a new captain by next season, another strong year of development for the youth who are expected to take over in two-three years, all which coincides with JB's contract extension.

I think Baumer could be axed though, the defensive coach, could be the scapegoat as the defense as a whole hasn't been that great, need a LA kings coach defensive systems to simplify the D strategy.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol Benning is in year 5. Your leader Doc Strangelove said the rebuild began when he was hired. GMs throughout the league don’t tend to get eight or ten years when their teams are bottom 3 (on average) for 5 + years. I believe the rebuild finally started in Feb 2017. But the Benning brigade has said numerous times that it began long before that. You are a Benning brigade guy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:07 pm Doc Strangelove said the rebuild began when he was hired.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:35 pm Fuck this. The D is awesome. Shades of the 77 Habs or current Predators. M

The D is deadly. WTF was I thinking?
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:06 pm There are wizards on this board that think the defence is average for the league and not a problem.
Blob Quixote still tilting at windmills I see, never change Blobby! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Sarcasm not your thing Doc? The 77-78 Habs LoL

There ARE posters who think this ISNT a bottom 5 D corps

When prey tell did the rebuild start in your opinion?

I am sticking with feb 2017
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:39 pm Brave of Green to put the three kids together. What must he be thinking? I mean I like it, get Boeser going, but it must give Green high blood pressure.
So he sccrewed up te Pettersson line insstead of the Horvat line. Boesser again had the worst +/1 of all the forwards. At -3.

On a positive note Pettersson was 70% on faceoffs. Shaller, Beagle, Jake and Granlund played well as checkers. Baerchi and Horvath gòt going as soon as they got the " Jonah " off their line.

Sure Markstrom and the D had a very bad night but the worst performance award goès to Brock.
Time to bench him ?
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Christ are we really turning on the kid already?
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:03 pm Christ are we really turning on the kid already?
We eat our own here.... :?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:11 am

There are a couple of ways that the Canucks could actually be a playoff team next season.....it would require some changes on the back end for sure though, as well as a step forward in development/results from the likes of Virtanen, Goldobin, Boeser, and Baertschi.

The goaltending is the biggest problem in my opinion. Granted the fire drill in front of them is not workable for a winning team, but if the Canucks are continually battling from a goal down within the first 5 minutes, and when it is coming on the first or second shot.....no team can get their shit together in front of that, no young D will ever build confidence when 90% of their mistakes end up in their own net, and no goaltender can be mentored and developed behind that kind of net-minding. A goaltender who can steal you even 5 games a year is enough to make the difference in a rebuilding team's progress and development.

Nilsson will have to be a Vezina candidate to get so much as a sniff at another contract here, so he's all but gone by April.....if not before.

Markstrom has one year left after this. Come July he can be traded or be considered a buyout candidate.

If they hit free agency go after one of Bobrovsky or Rinne, preferably the latter as he will be more likely to sign a 2-3 year deal. Then Demko gets the Schneider treatment behind a veteran all-star goaltender.

Then sign one of the available free agent d-men to shore up the blueline.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:03 pm Christ are we really turning on the kid already?
I don't think it's turning on him to advocate for benching him.

Green sat him early last year because his conditioning was not where it needed to be and he couldn't play a full game at the NHL level.

Right now, as Green said, he's just not sharp. If anyone has ever had to take a break from playing high intensity sports and then gone back to it you know full well that when you get gassed your brain stops working as well, that's gotta be part of it for Boeser. His legs are taking all his cardio right now, there's not much left for thinking and reacting.

It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to have left him at home for this road trip to do nothing but bag skates with a trainer for 10 days. It's not a punishment, it's recognizing that he's weeks behind everyone else because he is recovering from a broken back.

-I do think it's hilarious though, the number of old, fat, outta shape, arm chair coaches (myself included) who are questioning a pro athlete's conditioning level. :lol: