GDT 03-Oct-18: Canucks vs Flames 19:00 PST

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT 03-Oct-18: Canucks vs Flames 19:00 PST

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Groovypippin wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:35 am Exactly. I don't recall people wringing their hands for the entirety of Wayne Gretzky's career because he was $1.75 at a time when the league was full of monsters. People couldn't touch the guy, even if they tried. He was too smart and too evasive. And don't carry on about Semenko.
Conceding Gretzky's on-ice awareness and elusiveness, and ignoring any role Semenko may have played (although you have to think that at least Sather thought Semenko had a role, or else why deploy such an offensively-limited player with your best offensive threat), please recall that the League was also interested in protecting Gretzky, and officiated accordingly. I can't think of any Canuck player who has ever received such consideration.

It is my sincere hope that at the end of Pettersson's long and healthy career you can all tell me I was just being paranoid.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am
rats19 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:32 am
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:30 am People really need to give up the Pettersson weight issue, he’s in that Gaudreau, Keller, Marner, Point, highly skilled small players category who have become common place in the new NHL now. People assume because he’s 6’-2” he should be built like Ryan Getzlaf or something. Get over it.
But he will put on man muscle in the next 1-3 years dude
I’m saying his skill set and IQ put him on those players I mentiined, level. It doesn’t matter if he is slight, but yeah he will add man weight the older he gets but players like him, it doesn’t matter. 20 years ago it would have mattered...maybe.

The kid is damn smart. Everyone talks about his goals but I’m more impressed with his ice vision (he knows where everyone is on the ice as soon as he gets the puck), confidence, poise, passing, 200’ game and IQ
Yeah I think he won’t be much more than 180 pounds which is fine. He’s very competitive and not afraid out there. Beautiful goal last night.

Thought Sutter and Gudbranson played well. More games like that and fans wouldn’t rip into them as much. Granlund and Motte were great on the pk.

Didn’t watch the game that closely and watched it on a mini tv at the hospital. Always nice to be Calgary though and give the home fans something to cheer about.

I think Gudbranson May have to answer to Prout for that beating he put on Hamonic
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:32 am Pettersson seems to pass like a Sedin and shoot like Naslund. That’s a nice package.
Just remember that he tends to be a slow starter. Once he gets used to the NHL rink size, he'll really light it up! 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 pm
Mëds wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:32 am Pettersson seems to pass like a Sedin and shoot like Naslund. That’s a nice package.
Just remember that he tends to be a slow starter. Once he gets used to the NHL rink size, he'll really light it up! 8-)
LMAO! A goal on your first shot in the first period of your first NHL game, and one that was a rocket that would have beat most NHL goalies at that.....plus a helper that demonstrated ridiculous on-ice awareness.....I mean, he's no 4 goal Auston Matthews I guess, but if this is a slow start we have a franchise center at last.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Petterson is hard to move off the puck. When he does have it taken away he tries hard to get it back. He doesn’t quit on the play.

So far he has shown he can avoid getting hit but there were a couple of close ones last night. Offensively he isn’t one you’ll see along the boards much. But defensively he showed he isn’t afraid to do the work along the boards to defend and fight for pucks.

He’s had one NHL game, just over 10 minutes of NHL ice time. He’s on a learning curve that is fun to watch. Off ice he is working hard to learn what it is he needs to do to improve his physicality. I’m sure his first off season will find him working dilegently to improve.

The twins came to camp consistently as two of the best conditioned players on the team. So while it is highly likely Petterson does add muscle to his frame as he continues to grow I find it more important that his overall conditioning be there.

Brock Boeser bulked up. Brock Boeser looks slow and sluggish. Brock Boeser gets a pass this year but he needs to know this isn’t the D’beauty league.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

As long as Eli is being knocked off the puck with regularity, his size will be an issue.

Garrison did smoke Dube. Garrison did defeat Hamonic. The Flames were tentative for the rest of the period.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:57 pm As long as Eli is being knocked off the puck with regularity, his size will be an issue.

Garrison did smoke Dube. Garrison did defeat Hamonic. The Flames were tentative for the rest of the period.

Gudbranson. Or is there a joke I’m missing.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

In regards to predators going after a star player or a prized rookie, this is nothing new.
Many of them are already identified and have records.
If a player, Pettersson for instance, has great on ice awareness and vision, it helps.
Remember what I said a while back about using the reflection in the glass, and about code words from your team mates on and off the ice.
It all helps and from everything I've seen, felt, dished out, weight doesn't make all that much difference to the one being hit.
But, what is hard to ward off, and it doesn't happen as often now as it did, is the diversionary tactic where two players are actually in on delivering the devastating hit. One distracts, the other comes seemingly from nowhere.
Done well, there is no defense for it.
However, it is very good that the Canucks now have some real deterrents that will offer up, that nasty word, revenge.

Why say this now? Cause we go right back to Calgary.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:51 pmis there a joke I’m missing.
You're asking me? LOL
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Having Sutter and Beagle as the bottom six centers is proving to be a boon to the penalty kill, both superb faceoff guys (key to clearing the puck a lot) and they form a solid one/two punch units while one plays with Motte and the other Granlund.

With Edler and Tanev low-key holding the fort with solid veteran play.

Marky looking more comfy in the #1 role.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

There is talk from Calgary this guy will be in, Saturday.
http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightC ... P=19549&L=
"evolution"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

micky107 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:29 pm There is talk from Calgary this guy will be in, Saturday.
He lost to Guds a couple years ago...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

micky107 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:29 pm There is talk from Calgary this guy will be in, Saturday.
According to that scorecard, the last time Prout fought Gudbranson, Prout lost.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

rats19 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:36 pm
Yup, but the point is, "maybe", they want to stir the pot. I hope not. Think we need a bit more time as a team for a tilt like that.
Besides, it''s not a bout between those two I would worry about.
Side note; IMO, it is not Pettersson who is the most vulnerable on the team right now.
"evolution"
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

micky107 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 pm
rats19 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:36 pm
Yup, but the point is, "maybe", they want to stir the pot. I hope not. Think we need a bit more time as a team for a tilt like that.
Besides, it''s not a bout between those two I would worry about.
Side note; IMO, it is not Pettersson who is the most vulnerable on the team right now.
If it's true that Guddy apologised to Dube then the chances of that are less. He didn't go pick the fight with Hamonic and didn't cheap shot him either (nor did he turtle which drives people nuts). Fingers crossed though, there's no love lost between the two teams.