GDT: Canucks vs Oilers 9/25/18

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Oilers 9/25/18

Post by Jovocop »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:36 am
theman wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:49 am Who were we missing from the opening night line up last night? Sutter at forward, Tanev on D? Markstrom in goal? That was it. Unless Boeser is lights out and Pettersson is an immediate calder candidate, things are going to be bad. Very bad. Our D is atrocious with Edler and Tanev. Agree about Green, I am not sure he is up to this.
If it's the "on-paper" opening night lineup, add Roussel but thats not going to move the meter much. Plus in reality he's hurt with no return in sight.
As they literally just mentioned on the radio as I was reading this post, no one seems to be acknowledging the absence of Vanek. Besides the missing 102 points from the Sedins, which has been much discussed, we will also miss the offensive contributions of Vanek, who was pretty good for the Nucks last year. Who makes up for those 17 goals before he was traded (20+ goal pace)?
Without going overboard on preseason results, i don't believe much is going to change until the D is upgraded with some players with some degree of offensive ability.
This team misses a guy like Dorsett more than Vanek. Before going down with his injury, Dorsett put the whole team on his shoulder and was scoring like an all star. This team needs a little spark plug, one who is willing to do everything for the team, not a lazy old fart like Vanek.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

theman wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:41 am I am more worried about the D. I think Boeser will come around, Pettersson will figure it out. I think the hope was a healthy Eriksson would replace Vanek, but yeah it doesn't seem to be happening right now. Back to the D, if we lose either Edler or Tanev for a stretch it will be a tire fire back there. Hell it already is with them. Goal, tough to blame them a lot when the D is such a mess. We will need to stay healthy to stay competitive. How to fix this? Without gutting the D, can't see how. What a mess.
Been thinking about the D last couple of days. I like the prospects of the canucks 1-2 centre spots with elias and bo. Its proven you need strength at centre. That position looks to be trending very well and I wouldnt touch it.
We have two very solid prospects in goal so we will say trending solid there as well.
The D is a tragedy but Hughes, who has a little less of a track record to base an evaluation on, by all accounts will be good. But is that enough? Will he be a bonifide #1 stud D or do we still need to acquire one somehow?
Options:
UFA Karlsson this offseason?
Hold the line, display patience and hope u got/get lucky in the draft, either waiting for quinton to develop or getting lucky next year with a pick?
Or could we force the issue and <gasp> trade Brock? You got to give to get and he's our only grade A asset outide of perhaps bo and elias. Would you do it? Wingers are the most expendable and easiest to replace in theory. But also wondering if the market is still in "Hall for Larsson" territory. Yikes. I'd be will to add and make a package, but the only way I'd ever consider pulling the trigger on Brock is if you get a proven youngish stud D in return.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Jovocop wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:48 am This team misses a guy like Dorsett more than Vanek. Before going down with his injury, Dorsett put the whole team on his shoulder and was scoring like an all star. This team needs a little spark plug, one who is willing to do everything for the team, not a lazy old fart like Vanek.
Agreed, there's one I always forget about. Hopefully Beagle, Roussel, Schaller, Leipsice and kater in the year Motte, wilk replace some of the grit and hustle. Not sure if dorsett's scoring would have been sustainable but you are right, it will need to replaced if we are to at least do as well as last year.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:55 am Well

It’s going to be a long season. If this is what we are in for, Blobbee may be right, the trigger happy Aquas may not be done yet, unless they are on board with a tank cause let’s be honest, we are a real contender for Jack Hughes. The worriesome factor is Aqua is got a gun on Jimbro “do something or else” and Jimbro starts firing out prospects and picks and young lads for help “now”. I don’t have a lot of confidence in the owner and management situation in protecting them from themselves.

Green is in over his head. Jimbro’s mistakes (Virtanen, Juolevi, Gudbranson, Eriksson, retool on the fly, trading picks for help that never helped etc., are not looking good for him

Jack Hughes, Kakko, Cousins etc, here we come
You are nervous. So am I. Can't help feeling edgy, something rather significant will occur soon, real soon.
"evolution"
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:04 am
theman wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:41 am I am more worried about the D. I think Boeser will come around, Pettersson will figure it out. I think the hope was a healthy Eriksson would replace Vanek, but yeah it doesn't seem to be happening right now. Back to the D, if we lose either Edler or Tanev for a stretch it will be a tire fire back there. Hell it already is with them. Goal, tough to blame them a lot when the D is such a mess. We will need to stay healthy to stay competitive. How to fix this? Without gutting the D, can't see how. What a mess.

UFA Karlsson this offseason?
SJ will resign Karlsson after the trade deadline when they can give him an 8-year deal. Right now, the max they can sign him for is 7.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:09 am
Jovocop wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:48 am This team misses a guy like Dorsett more than Vanek. Before going down with his injury, Dorsett put the whole team on his shoulder and was scoring like an all star. This team needs a little spark plug, one who is willing to do everything for the team, not a lazy old fart like Vanek.
Agreed, there's one I always forget about. Hopefully Beagle, Roussel, Schaller, Leipsice and kater in the year Motte, wilk replace some of the grit and hustle. Not sure if dorsett's scoring would have been sustainable but you are right, it will need to replaced if we are to at least do as well as last year.
I think Roussel will be very similar to Dorsett in terms of energy/spark plug, once he gets over his concussion and who knows how long that'll last, those are unpredictable, but I hope AR will take his time and come back 100%.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Skyo Roussell is a top tier dooshbag asshole and will definitely be welcomed onto the team. I'd put him with Virtanen and try and develop the asshole side of the Jakester. Theres something there if this coaching staff can open up that wound...not sure if they have it in them though. Might need to acquire another prick like Ritchie to help out though
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 pm Gagner- can’t trade him as he has negative value and they are too stubborn/stupid too waive him.
8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 pm Gagner- can’t trade him as he has negative value and they are too stubborn/stupid too waive him.
8-)
We know Benning is capable of learning from his mistakes.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 pm
8-)
I think I’m correct about the first part. He has negative value and they’d have to dine on a good chunk of his cap hit or take back another shitty contract.

Kudos to Elmer for having the balls to waive SamWise
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”