GDT: preseason: Canucks @ Flames. Sept 22/18 6:45pm, SNP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: preseason: Canucks @ Flames. Sept 22/18 6:45pm, SNP

Post by Carl Yagro »

olpaddy wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:44 pm You know whats really scary, aside from Elias there hasn't been one prospect who is trumpeted as a future piece that looks ready...
Boom! Trevor was not wrong.

Patience means maybe only one more year of seasoning for these prospects with a chance of a call-up or two this season. Now it looks like that's going to happen anyway. All the fans will be crying, but this is proper development. If it has to be slower to do it properly, so be it.

Luigi will hold out for one more year. Aquas can't handle a rebuild.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

olpaddy wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:44 pm You know whats really scary, aside from Elias there hasn't been one prospect who is trumpeted as a future piece that looks ready...
b

That’s not a surprise to me. We all get hyped but it’s pre-season :eh:

You can see the potential but the kids are still green.

I think Gaudette could make the jump I just don’t know who we waive at this point.
The only HW the Canucks need
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Jovocop wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:50 pm
CrzyCanuck wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:44 pm Has Boeser had a SOG yet this preseason?
Green will bench Boeser for the first two games and he will take off. :mrgreen:
Don't give him any ideas it wouldn't shock me
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

olpaddy wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:53 pm
Jovocop wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:50 pm
CrzyCanuck wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:44 pm Has Boeser had a SOG yet this preseason?
Green will bench Boeser for the first two games and he will take off. :mrgreen:
Don't give him any ideas it wouldn't shock me
No worries Goldobin will take all the Travis heat
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:51 pm I think Gaudette could make the jump I just don’t know who we waive at this point.
Gagner? G for G...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:01 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:51 pm I think Gaudette could make the jump I just don’t know who we waive at this point.
Gagner? G for G...
Politics saves Gagner. See Eriksson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:37 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:36 pm Jack Hughes is a “real” possibility
"Canucks" probability > "real" possibility

so no Jack Hughes
lol yup no lotto luck, gonna guess the Avalanche get the best odds as they have the Sens 1st rounder for 2019.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:51 pm
b

That’s not a surprise to me. We all get hyped but it’s pre-season :eh:

You can see the potential but the kids are still green.

I think Gaudette could make the jump I just don’t know who we waive at this point.
I think Gaudette plays this year but this roster is bloated and I don't think he forces anybody's hand to make a tough decision when an easier one is staring management in the face but he will play games this year, the goalie has been a disappointment thats the one that stands out cause he coulda won that backup job if he played well but hes not been good at all ... Out of everybody here NOT in Michigan thats a future piece that are praised for being in the mix for the future not named Pettersson he's the one who gets love from everyone as a big time prospect and he doesn't look remotely close to being ready and that is a lil alarming... I know goalies take time to develop he's a big time piece to this and I hope he pans out..
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Jovocop wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:41 pm Demko should have come out but hesitated. I think he needs another year in Utica.
Yeah, Thatcher buddy, you can't hesitate like that in the bigs. If you think you should go, then go, don't hesitate. Even if you end up looking bad and fishing it out of the net, you gotta go with your instincts. Another year in Utica will be good for ya. Hopefully Ian Clarke can help improve his game. A part of me fears that Demko may have the size, but may not have the reflexes/instincts for an NHL starter (basically next Anders Nilsson). Dipetro has the reflexes/instincts, but is too small for an NHL starter (basically next Cory Hirsh). :cry:

Boy, Kid Tkachuk just luvs killing us and luvs making the Pall Bearer look bad by passing on him. Tkachuk rapes us in the reg season and murders us in the pre-season. When he plays us, he looks like an NHL superstar compared to most our our pro roster players.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Canucks look like they have four legit top six players, Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Baertschi. Until some of these kids develop, I think you stick Roussel and Virtanen in the top six to add some grit. Not ideal, but no one looks like they are grabbing the bull by the horns. Virtanen may yet develop into a top six forward, and Roussel is a prick, which is a good enough reason for me. Until Roussel is back.... try Palmu? He looks the furthest developed of the kids.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

PP sucks, Demko sucks. Motte looks good. Pouliot having fair game.. No physical presence. Ugly game to watch. :?:
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:50 pm The back to back Virtanen and Juolevi 1st round picks are haunting this organization but hey not alone
An interesting assertion that I'm surprised didn't draw a bigger response.

First, I'm sure by now you have recalled that Virtanen and Juolevi weren't drafted back to back; Boeser was drafted between them.

Second, and more interestingly, this would seem to run contrary to the "whatever Benning's other problems, at least he is good at drafting" narrative. Are you turning in your Benning True Believer card ?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Utica can do nothing more for Demko, nothing.
So he gets his confidence back. Great. Great for the Utica fans.
The next level will always be the next level. Now, next year and on and on.

The minors have nothing to offer Gaudette either.
He needs to play here, right along side our best young player, Bo, Brock, Elias, etc.

I don't think Virtanen should be sent down either.
He just needs an upgrade.
They all do.

There are players that need to be shipped out. And yes, a little room needs to made right now.

Time for me to come clean, tell the truth, be honest, shit like that.

WE DO NOT HAVE NHL LEVEL COACHING.

Nothing will be done, (unfortunately), about it right now. Never is this time of year.

There are a few members of this team who are thriving. Not because of the coaching, in spite of it.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:21 am Utica can do nothing more for Demko, nothing.
So he gets his confidence back. Great. Great for the Utica fans.
The next level will always be the next level. Now, next year and on and on.

The minors have nothing to offer Gaudette either.
He needs to play here, right along side our best young player, Bo, Brock, Elias, etc.

I don't think Virtanen should be sent down either.
He just needs an upgrade.
They all do.

There are players that need to be shipped out. And yes, a little room needs to made right now.

Time for me to come clean, tell the truth, be honest, shit like that.

WE DO NOT HAVE NHL LEVEL COACHING.

Nothing will be done, (unfortunately), about it right now. Never is this time of year.

There are a few members of this team who are thriving. Not because of the coaching, in spite of it.
Demko still can improve in a he minors. It isn’t unprecedented that players improve after two seasons in the AHL.

Gaudette would be just fine if he got sent down. Right now he is on the bubble. That isn’t boding well fo him making it.

Virtanen will not be sent down. He’d never get through waivers.

They’ve had four coaches in five seasons here. Can’t keep changing that up. Besides coaching isn’t the problem with this team. It’s a lack of talent, especially on the blue line. You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

I for one don't understand all this angst after two pre-season games from Demko. We saw this in the game he got late last year against Columbus:

Rk Player DEC GA SA SV SV% SO PIM TOI
1 Thatcher Demko W 4 30 26 .867 0 0 61:

If I recall correctly, he had an adjustment period in the AHL as well - then went on to excel. With experience, I expect the same from him in the NHL.
Just like the forwards & D, this year will have man-games lost due to injury in net as well. Not to mention Nilsson being a UFA after this season and shipped out for whatever we can get by the time the trade deadline rolls around. So Demko will get games this year in the Bigs. In the meantime he can dominate in Utica.