GDT: Pre-season. Sept 20/18. LA @Canucks 7:00pm SN1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

DHA
CC Veteran

Re: GDT: Pre-season. Sept 20/18. LA @Canucks 7:00pm SN1

Post by DHA »

BladesofSteel wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:12 pm MDZ had a terrific game, that was not a boarding penalty.

Guds was physical all night, had a strong showing on the PK.

Bo is good, real good. Baer Bo n Brock have a lot of chemistry.

Hutton is as dopey as he looks.

Marx had a strong game.

Motte with another good showing.

I'd like to see Jake get a shot on Eli's wing.
Loved MDZ - where the hell was this guy last year - first shift nice big hit - good man.
Bo's- turbine is powering up - he is going to be a beast on the pp with EP
Motte - you got good hustle kid, like your checking game and forecheck
Hutton - your in shape - trending well with a few gaffs, not sold on him as QB on PP

EP looks like he is smartest player on the team already - Him and Hughes can battle it out for dedication to getting better and hockey IQ, Frack Boeser, Bartch, Horvat, EP and Hughes on a PP?!! - That is top #3 PP in the league in two years.

Our defense sucks - Guddy I did not like last night. Slow, bad decisions and gave OJ the kiss of death saying he thinks the game the same way as I do - NO!!!

I want Demko up here this year. He was absolutely lights out in the playoffs last year. He went through an adjustment period entering the AHL from dominating NCAA and I think for him he is going to enter a bit shaky in to the NHL, not super strong but I think he adjust very fast. I think 2 years is enough for him and if he could pick up 25 games this year with the Canucks he would start to shine. I know most think more game in AHL is better for him but this is my take.

Goldy - hit the wire man. Not sold on this guys play or attitude. It's one thing for the camera to pan to you and you look completely disinterested, Naslund's casual way would do this all the time, right after he had a massive shift and labeled one top corner. But Goldy plays like crap and looks so aloof and disinterested. He is super skilled, but reeks of a player that has leaned to heavily on this to climb the ranks. For god sake he is playing with a potential superstar and he is not motivated to move his ass, I think it is really not in his game and we are seeing him eventually in the fall at some point having to clear waivers. Guys like this don't have NHL careers and most definitely do not win playoff rounds for you when the game gets much heavier. KHL here he comes.

I wonder if Green will give Dahlen two games with EP to see if he out preforms Goldy.

Guys I want to make the starting line up - Demko - Gaudette (freeking love this guy) - Juolevi - I take Lieper over Goldy - all day.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

olpaddy wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:28 pm This PP will be a Godsend this year
I assure I derive no joy from being a buzzkill, but I feel obligated to point out that a great power play is only an asset when referees call penalties.

Has the current edition of the Canucks done enough to mend their relationship with League officials that they are likely to come up at least even on the calls? Particularly when (or if) they ever play games that actually matter again ?
SKYO wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:13 pm On another note, as much as I hate to say it - maybe IN is right about Virtanen becoming the next Torres
If that's true, would you consider it a good return on a 6th overall draft pick? The reference case, Raffi Torres, was a 5th overall himself.
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:52 am Sad to say, when it comes to hockey IQ, Virtanen is up there with your David Booth’s. He simply does not know what to do when without the puck and when he gets the puck there’s no plan, just pure knee jerk. At best he’s a Raffi Torres, Jannik Hansen. LA’s Kempe who is a fellow draft class mate of Jakes, now that’s a player I’d much rather have than ole Jake, hell, even draft class mate Goldobin has a tool box Jake can only dream of.
Sounds like The Dude would say "no".

I'm beginning to think our positions on this franchise are starting to converge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

DHA wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:32 am I want Demko up here this year. He was absolutely lights out in the playoffs last year. He went through an adjustment period entering the AHL from dominating NCAA and I think for him he is going to enter a bit shaky in to the NHL, not super strong but I think he adjust very fast. I think 2 years is enough for him and if he could pick up 25 games this year with the Canucks he would start to shine. I know most think more game in AHL is better for him but this is my take.
Yeah I think at Demko's age, Tampa's Andrei Vasilevskiy had two years of split of AHL/NHL duties already.

At 20 years of age Tampa Bay gave Vasilevskiy 16 NHL games, 21yrs-24NHL games, 22yrs-50NHL games, 23yrs-65NHL games.

Thatcher Demko will be turning 23 in December and has ZERO NHL games, however he has 3 years of college and now two full seasons in the AHL, dude is ready for at least 20-25 NHL games, especially as Nilsson is the tank commander getting this team losses.

The time has come for the Marky-Demko combo, and let Ian Clarke work his magic on Demko.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

He's nervous at the NHL level, you can tell.
Even sounds edgy when he's interviewed.
Just get over that hump and no reason to think he can't do as well at the elite level.
It's just nerves.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:53 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:13 pm On another note, as much as I hate to say it - maybe IN is right about Virtanen becoming the next Torres
If that's true, would you consider it a good return on a 6th overall draft pick? The reference case, Raffi Torres, was a 5th overall himself.
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:52 am Sad to say, when it comes to hockey IQ, Virtanen is up there with your David Booth’s. He simply does not know what to do when without the puck and when he gets the puck there’s no plan, just pure knee jerk. At best he’s a Raffi Torres, Jannik Hansen. LA’s Kempe who is a fellow draft class mate of Jakes, now that’s a player I’d much rather have than ole Jake, hell, even draft class mate Goldobin has a tool box Jake can only dream of.

I'm beginning to think our positions on this franchise are starting to converge.
To be fair the management crew were just hired what a few months before the draft? They didn't have a full year of scouting and meetings and planning to implement what they are looking for etc like they had after that 2014 draft. Yet they still carved out a Demko and Tryamkin that draft after the first round.

Next draft not as much picks but got superstar Boeser late 1st and Gaudette in the 5th, then next draft top 4 D lock Juolevi and future gritty depth guy Lockwood and then the glorious 2017 draft one of the best in team history, 2018 still no lotto luck and still no top 4 picks in the JB era, but finally got our future QB Q, and probably top 4 right D Woo.

In any case I'd really like to see what a fired up Virtanen can do in the feisty and fast playoffs, dude has wheels to burn and can smash the opposition with some bone crushing hits, and if he can stop hitting the posts ffs.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

SKYO wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:14 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:53 pm

To be fair the management crew were just hired...
I think I'm hearing a "no" (with excuses) from SKYO too, then.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:27 pm
I think I'm hearing a "no" (with excuses) from SKYO too, then.

brobro, chill cuz.

The Canucks team is in heading the right direction overall, the team is slowly getting younger and rebuilding well, they have accumulated one of the best group of prospects in the NHL -> actually rated what top 2, top 3 in the entire league?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Oh Shit, sorry! Wrong one.
Nice move though.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:52 am Sad to say, when it comes to hockey IQ, Virtanen is up there with your David Booth’s.
Yeah I'm seeing this as well. There have been plenty of guys who play for 10 years in the league with similar skill sets but zero hockey sense but he has some giant leaps to make to be an offensive factor at this level.

Tops had this kid pegged pretty early just like cotton top....both against popular opinion at the time
If you need air...call it in