GDT(pre-season) 18/9/18 Oilers @Canucks 7:30 SN, SN1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT(pre-season) 18/9/18 Oilers @Canucks 7:30 SN, SN1

Post by Mickey107 »

Oh ya, one last thought.
Who's gonna back-up Bachman in Utica?
Cause, um, yikes!
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Thought Pettersson looked like he could play in the NHL. I like him on the PP. it’s going to take time but I think it has the makings of a decent one. He reminds me a bit of Hank.

Never never never play a young Swede with an older one. The young one will look to pass to the older one every time. Dahlen had some looks but seemed to want to set up Ericksson.

Both Petterson and Dahlen like to pass as much as they like to shoot. That’s one of the things that made them look good together.

I thought Goldobin and Virtanen had real good games. Motte has hustle but the numbers game will keep him in Utica and given he needs only play one more NHL game to require waivers I think he could be there for awhile.

Leipsic is fastbut not sure if he will bring enough of what we need. Schaller unimpressive but first game. Gagne showed some energy on a few shifts but otherwise he can move on. Granlund had a lot of hustle. I think he has a good year this year. Ericksson.......what can I say. He’s going to hold the kids back.

On D Biega was his usual bulldog self. Stetcher, gawd bless his soul, tried to be physical. MDZ can go. Hutton, other than one huge brain fart had a good game. Sautner looked decent enough but he’s the same as Pouliot and Hutton and we don’t need three of em. Tanev was Tanev.

Will be interesting to see Edler, Gudbranson and Juolevi draw in.

Nilsson looked good until the first goal, then he looked like our version of Nilsson not WC for Sweden Nilsson.

7 PP, one goal. Ugh......
The only HW the Canucks need
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Didn't catch much of the game due to technical issues, but I did see the Petterson breakaway and he looked quite poised and almost pulled off the deke. On the PP like HW says he looked a lot like Hank with great puck control and protection. Virtanen seems to have picked up where he left off with end-to-end rushes while hanging on to the puck for longer than expected. If he can drive to the net ala Horvat / Bertuzzi he'll be a real threat. But maybe I only saw the good parts :|
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I liked Jake's game, he played with confidence while not straying from the system. I definitely saw improvement with his stickhandling.

I agree with Wids, EP resembles Hank with his puck control and dishing abilities. He will be a fine addition to the PP. Like Brock, he's got an exceptional shot while also displaying underrated playmaking abilities. They both have the rare ability to slow the game down.

Bo and Sven have good chemistry and should start the season on the same line. They played with terrific hustle and are the new wave leaders of the club.

Hutton looked a little quicker out there, but his brain and hands cannot keep up with the pace of today's game and I don't see him as a viable option in the top 4. Kudos for all the work he put in over the summer, but I look forward to seeing what Juolevi can bring, as the blueline sorely lacks play- makers.

Nilsson was lucky more of his turnover's didn't wind up in the back of the net. Would've like to see MDP in for the 3rd.

Love Biega and Troy's hustle, but we don't need both guys as the 7th d-man.

Motte made himself noticed every shift and looks quicker than I recall, he'll get another look at some point.

I thought Liepsic had a strong game as well given he was playing with Gagner and Schaller. I'd like to see him tonite with some skilled guys, he's not afraid to go to the grubby area's but needs talent to play with.

I'm not sure Gagner can be an effective player in todays high speed game.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So great to watch hockey again. :D

So crappy that the Apple TV (gen 2) doesn't support NHL.tv :scowl:

A lot of promise, and a lot of work ahead. If our D can get good passes off on the PP, then we could actually have a decent one. With Brock on side, Pettersson on the other, we have doubled the number of snipers since last year. ;)

Looking forward to a long, painful season with many bright spots and hope for the future.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

I OD'd on Hockey. Watched leaves/Sens then Nucks game twice.
Petterssen was best Canuck on the ice Honorable mention Sven, Goldie, Jake, Bo (loooked rusty and no puck luck ). Motte and Leipsic deserve another look. LE ok and good on the boards.
Agree with Cornuck, point men sucked on the PP. Nilson not great, but Huttons brain fart and Tanev knocking the stick out of his hands resulted in 2 goals. Goldobin and Petterssen were robbed by great saves by Oilers goaltending.

Personally I think Petterssen looked more like Gradin than Hank. I'd like to see a line of Boesser, Petterssen and Virtanen.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

BladesofSteel wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:48 am He [EP] will be a fine addition to the PP. Like Brock, he's got an exceptional shot while also displaying underrated playmaking abilities. They both have the rare ability to slow the game down.
Definitely agree on the slowing the game ability - it seemed noticeable almost every time EP touched the puck last night. He definitely needs some seasoning, but there is a lot of potential in EP. If he can continue to play like he did last night - he is ready for the jump to the NHL. There will be speed bumps, but he's got the tools to be a player now.

Goldobin looked very good. Paired well with EP. Nice to see him picking up where he left off last year. Hope that Green shows him enough leeway to make a few mistakes without fear of immediate reprisal. I think he is showing more potential of turning into a top 6 guy.

Like Blades said, Bo and Sven looking good. Would be nice if Bo could improve his hands a bit - he gets tons of chances but just can't seem to harness the scorer's touch.

If last night was at all representative of what we have in Dahlen, he needs some time in Utica. Then again, pairing any kid with Loui (I don't get paid enough to play offense) Eriksson doesn't seem likely to end in success. Hopefully over the course of the pre-season Dahlen gets some chances to show what he has with some different (and actual) talent. Wid's is on point re Loui - "he is going to hold the kids back".
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fucking Pettersson is slick, this kid and Boeser and Hughes will eventually get this city going again, along with Horvat and a couple others

The Canuck Brass and Mr. Travis "one mistake by a rookie, benched" Green need to give Goldobin a proper opportunity to know what we truly got in him, would hate to see us dump on this guy too soon because the coach is pissed he ain't playing like Bob Gainey in the back end and see him turn into some Filip Forsberg in Nashville or Markus Naslund in Vancouver.

Dahlen needs to cook in Utica

Eriksson is a nightmare. Can we buy him out?

Baertschi the king of inconsistency, the king of "not interested in playing tonight, but I might show up the next game

Love Virtanen what he brings

Granlund and Gagner need to go. If we are watching those two crowd pleasers instead of Gaudette and Goldobin so we can finish with the 12th worst record instead of the 4th worst record the fans won't be rushing back anytime soon

I'm done with Smiley Ben Hutton, Stecher, Biega, Pouliot, Del Zotto. Just give a fucking job to Juolevi and let him grow into it FFS. Can't get Hughes and Tryamkin back here soon enough and hopefully Woo, Brisebios can surprise us. The D is atrocious. I think we still need to keep drafting D-men in the lottery next draft - Byram, Broberg, Robertson would do us good, if we are trading Edler and Tanev we better be getting a young defencemen back, cause I don't see how it's possible to trade those two with the current and future condition of our defence is and expect to be better for it? We have to have some semblance of a defence back there? I'm sorry but it's too much to pin on just Hughes and Juolevi and hopefully Tryamkin to save the future back there. Need to keep Tanev and Edler around like we did with the Sedins, retire as Canucks. The depth is putrid back there even with the likes Juolevi, Hughes and Tryamkin in the wings.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Goldobin Petterson Sutter
Gaunce Gaudette Virtanen
Schaller Beagle Roussel

Leipsic
Motte

Bye bye Gagner, Granlund and Eriksson (somehow, someway)
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

LE holding the kids back will be an issue if he gets anything other than 3rd, or even better, 4th line time. PK is fine, as long as he's effective at it.
I just really, REALLY, don't want to see anything even resembling what's been going on the last 3 years, in particular, the part
where he is mired in one of his looooooooong slumps and all the talented, (or more talented), players are trying to feed him the puck
so to attempt to break him out of his notorious mopey, despondent terms.

Still think Gags & Grans, (just made that up), See some minorish, waiverish time so guys like Gauds can partake on a regular basis.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Awesome RD, ya beat me to it by seconds.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Kinda agreeing with Dude, sort of, today anyway. We aren’t ready to move on from Edler and Tanev. Maybe one of them if we get a first or highly rated D prospect.

Looks like, sounds like, the top four are penciled in as Edler/Gudbranson and Hutton/Tanev. Stretcher and Biega are the only other RHD. That leaves MDZ, Pouliot and Sautner fighting for the other spot.

Not a lot of confidence in that group.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

All I can find so far. Got to run.
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah, I agree about the D too. Very quickly I could see the same old from the Defence during last night's game.

Except for Sautner, these guys have been full-time/semi-full regulars here. Against Oilers prospects and scrubs, none of them really stood out head and shoulders above. In fact, I'd say none of them were even very good... even the reliable Tanev.

Hutton looked a lot better right from the get-go. However, given his struggles last year, it's not saying very much. At least he is more fit and engaged.

We'll see how the others fare tonight, but going into this season, no significant changes to the awful and stagnant D was and is still a big concern.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Pettersson, Goldy, Baertschi this line was awesome, Pettersson continues to shine & keeps getting better as he adapts to the NHL.

Honourable mention to: Gagner, Motte, Virtanen.

JV was assertive all game and hit the crossbar, Gagner's skills were confident.
Dahlen seemed a bit tentative this game, not as aggressive as he should be.

Horvat was his bullish self, but his execution was poor, hope the summer rust wears off.

God I can't wait till Hughes signs here hopefully in March, not having a bonafide QB to work with the talent up front is a smidgen frustrating to watch. Maybe Juolevi or Pouliot can do better than Hutton + Stecher on point.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Gagner’s skills were confident? What does that even mean?

I thought Gagner looked small, soft and slow during the period and a half I watched
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”