GDT 11/22/17 Canucks @ Pens 4 PM SPN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT 11/22/17 Canucks @ Pens 4 PM SPN

Post by 2Fingers »

Your great HW.

Only watched part of the game as I was driving home after work. The team is like Jekly and Hyde, from last week to this week.

But regardless I see more skating, good too see the youth on the team.

Will Boeser get 30 this year?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Dank on the PP ...let him play the point.
:shock:

The guy can't shoot worth ass why put him on the point?
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Boeser has been pretty good, very smart on the point. Tonight he showed he's not a one trick pony, great slap shot. It also keeps him more defensively aware which is a good thing.

I liked the game Gaunce had tonight. He's not afraid to make mistakes and it shows. He just needs Dorsett's touch around the net :mrgreen:

Two solid games, on the road, back to back.

Don't we have that dreaded 11:00 am start coming up soon? That's always a test for us.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote:Boeser has been pretty good, very smart on the point. Tonight he showed he's not a one trick pony, great slap shot. It also keeps him more defensively aware which is a good thing.

I liked the game Gaunce had tonight. He's not afraid to make mistakes and it shows. He just needs Dorsett's touch around the net :mrgreen:

Two solid games, on the road, back to back.

Don't we have that dreaded 11:00 am start coming up soon? That's always a test for us.
Only for Luongo.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Uncle dans leg wrote: The guy (Dank) can't shoot worth ass why put him on the point?
His role will be something more to his current strengths, a quarterback role: setting up, moving and passing the puck.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: The guy (Dank) can't shoot worth ass why put him on the point?
His role will be something more to his current strengths, a quarterback role: setting up, moving and passing the puck.
Yup, cos there's nothing more dangerous than a point-man threatening a killer pass!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

5thhorseman wrote: Yup, cos there's nothing more dangerous than a point-man threatening a killer pass!
Well, other than Sami Salo and Yanick Weber, we have not had a point man with the bomb shot the last few years. Edler's is pretty good I guess, but is inconsistent and makes a fair share of mistakes. Not sure if some of the best PP quarterbacks today have a great shot from the point (ie: Keith/Karlsson).
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Old and slow. Like to see all 3 "Killer B's " on the 1st PP unit with Poulet and Vanek on the points. Put the twins on the 2nd unit with Erikson, Hutton and Edler ?
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Boeser nearly had a hat trick. Great save. He took a late hit after that shot. He's fine. This time.
Now it's the "Danger Zone". The team will have to create an aura of accountability for the cheap shot artists now,
Right now! A good problem to have but it's gotta start right away.
"evolution"
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

It was a goodgame to watch. Kudo's to Nilson and Edler.. Yeah Edler played over 27 minutes without any major screwups ! The B line outplayed Crosbys line ! Sutter's checking line looke good and Jake had a good game .. Not much to criticize really.

With Gudbranson and Dorset both out the team is not tough enough to play against the more physical teams. Hoping Dorset and Gudnerson can get back in the lineup soon.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Everyone keeps moaning - "Canucks ain't tough enough". The Nucklehead Oilers suck hairy Ballz and are loaded with monkeys - Maroon, Lucic, Kassian, Nurse.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
5thhorseman wrote: Yup, cos there's nothing more dangerous than a point-man threatening a killer pass!
Well, other than Sami Salo and Yanick Weber, we have not had a point man with the bomb shot the last few years. Edler's is pretty good I guess, but is inconsistent and makes a fair share of mistakes. Not sure if some of the best PP quarterbacks today have a great shot from the point (ie: Keith/Karlsson).
Edler used to be good at the point. For whatever reasons, he seems to be a step behind in everything in the last few seasons (aging?). I would guess around 75% of his shots hit shin pads these days.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:Everyone keeps moaning - "Canucks ain't tough enough". The Nucklehead Oilers suck hairy Ballz and are loaded with monkeys - Maroon, Lucic, Kassian, Nurse.
:lol:

But the year is young...last year those monkeys played pretty good
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote:Everyone keeps moaning - "Canucks ain't tough enough". The Nucklehead Oilers suck hairy Ballz and are loaded with monkeys - Maroon, Lucic, Kassian, Nurse.
I'm not suggesting gathering goons but when you have a game breaker that's hot and young, you have to watch for the would-bes that will intent to injure or intimidate. You know it's coming, always does.
Be prepared as a team. Don't have to trade for anyone.
I think Travis Green will be good at this part. I think he knows.
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

* The Hockey Gods were on the Canucks side last night. Their intervention played a role in the broken stick poke check and the Own Goal. But here is the thing. You have to ask for their intervention. It isn't that they will provide it every time you ask, but you won't get it when you don't ask. The Canucks asked for intervention by backing up Kessel with a smart forecheck and (not in the picture) denying the easy outlet. The Canucks asked for intervention by having a player (Vanek, I think) go hard to the net and physically try to move through the defender, which made the defender turn away from the play and become a stationary backboard to keep Vanek out of the front of the crease. The Canucks are doing more of these things right this year, which leads to more Hockey God intervention. And that leads to wins, especially if...

* Your goaltending is excellent. And Nilsson was excellent. His first savers and positioning were strong and his rebound control was decent. Of course there were still a few times where the Pens missed pretty decent openings in the net. But far more than their misses....

* For the second straight night, the Canucks did a goo job of interfering with the second chances by clogging the shooting lane, quickly harassing the opposition who was gathering a rebound, and taking away time and space on the second chance.

* Still, the Pens were generating plenty of chances and had the Canucks on their heels in the 3rd. Thing is, the Canucks did okay on their heels....

* In the first game against the Pens, the Horvat line dominated and the other lines were (IMO) pretty significantly outplayed. Last night, the Horvat line looked less dangerous 5 on 5 yet the other lines played much better.

* Vanek can't skate (as compared with most NHLers). But if the play (offensive or defensive) doesn't require NHL skating, he is really very good. He plays with a really high IQ.

* I don't get the cracks on the power play now. Its looking better when it isn't scoring, and is often scoring when it doesn't look good. Since the Canucks went to the Sedins, Horvat, Boeser, and (add your defenseman), it has looked good once it is set up. Having Boeser on the weak side high is a total game changer. The Canucks miss the point shot from the top, but having it on the weakside top of the circle or moving down to the back door is a great benefit. I assume that comment about Boeser "not having the shot" to be a pointman was a joke given that he wired in a one timer.... At any rate, this is more of a 1-3-1 set up than a 3-2 set up.

* When your team has lacked a high end shot for a long while (Naslund had one, the ONE season Kesler scored 41 goals, his shot was approaching elite), you forget what it is like. And it is really cool.

* On the other end of things, can Gudbrandson's shot be any worse? He makes Tanev look like Brett Hull.

* But Gudbrandson brings other pretty good things.

* Alex Biega has improved in every way imaginable this season. He is still a marginal NHL player and is unlikely to be anything more than a 3d pairing guy. Increased time on the ice exposes his faults. But overall, I am impressed that a player at his stage of the career can make the marginal improvements it takes to not the a defenseman version of Jayson Megna and actually a player that NHL teams would want as a 7 and not panic about when a top player goes down for a bit.

The decisions to keep Biega up and trade Pedan for Pouliot look, at this point, to be great moves.
Hono_rary Canadian