Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13266
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:15 pm

A good come back win. Controlled the play when they needed. Nilsson settled in. Twins showed up. Eriksson with a good game. Nice to get that one.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3894
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by Reefer2 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Cornuck wrote:I think we can forgive Nilsson for that first goal now, but DAMN I wish we would stop spotting teams a goal every game.
Agreed, why not pretend the first shot was taken before the game started.

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3483
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by ukcanuck » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:29 pm

Considering San Jose and Anaheim games

This is a bit of a character booster.

If everyone is pulling together and giving 100% they can surprise good teams.

I’ll take it.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17384
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by Strangelove » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:05 am

Reefer2 wrote:The question is if Green has any balls and starts to hold others accountable. Even bad penalties against such a strong team is not acceptable.

Hey Mick - Dorsettes scoring was a mirage and a blip in his normal 4th line role that he is over paid on.

Sutter back to doing nothing for his money.

Vanek - the guy who shows up 5 minutes a game.

Gagne - who?

But lets sit Virtanen because he doesnt hit.
DORSETT:

Not sure what kind of conversations you've had with Micky

... but Dorsett was on a 50-goal pace after 10 games. :lol:

Yeah, no one in his right mind figured that was anything more than "a mirage and a blip".

But about Dorsett being "over paid"... is he "over paid" enough to quibble about?

He may be, as you say, a "4th liner"... but he kills penalties.

So 4th line minutes + PK minutes = close to the average 3rd line minutes?

In fact, he has averaged close to 14 minutes per game over the last 8 seasons.

He has also averaged around 8 goals + 12 assists per season in a defensive/energy role.

So is he a 4th liner or a 3rd liner?

Tonight, unsurprisingly, the coach trusted in the final minute of a one-goal game.

Tonight I would say Mr Dorsett energized the team by dropping the mitts at the perfect time..

Anyway... point is... how much money do YOU think Derek Dorsett deserves?

Keep in mind that right now he earns a fair bit less than the average NHL player with close to average minutes.

VANEK:

He's on the same 20g/50p pace he's been on since entering his 30s a few years ago.

Not bad for a guy who "shows up 5 minutes a game" wot?

And he's doing this on a mere 13 minutes per game.

Hmmm 13 minutes... does that make him a "4th liner"? :sly:

Vanek is a great deal at $2M.

SUTTER:

Yes he's struggling thus far this season.

GAGNE:

Yes he's struggling thus far this season.

VIRTANEN:

I have noticed you keep saying:

"Green sat Jake saying he needs to be more physical and replaces him with a non-physical player, how dumb!"

(paraphrased)

Have you ever considered that perhaps Mr Green is merely trying to help Mr Virtanen find his NHL game

... and that perhaps that particular game is a physical one?

Anyway, as someone else said, you need to chill good buddy and enjoy the process. 8-)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2233
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:41 am

Jovocop wrote:The key to the powerplay goal, no Vanek and no Gagner on ice. :mrgreen:
Sweet pass by the Vanekian one to Bearcheese on the PP and eventual GWer. Garret couldn't praise Vanek enuff. :lol:



https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/baert ... c-54618903
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4683
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by micky107 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:45 am

RoyalDude wrote:Have we seen enough of Jake Virtanen where we can now label him a bust?
WTF ? Did the kid come over to your lovely spruce 2x4, particle board mansion and TP it old man?
"evolution"

User avatar
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1941
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: 50° 10' North / 8° 34' East

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by Cookie La Rue » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:21 am

Hank wrote:LOL, did Markstrom put on Nilsson's equipment?

Goal on the first shot... under the arm.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:cry:
Maybe it was deflected. :lol:

(Just kidding.)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by RoyalDude » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:11 am

Reefer2 wrote:
Hank wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Hank wrote:You know who's having a good game?

Loui Loui and the Twins.

Too many penalties...
About time $20M tied up in the 3 of them. They should do this 60% of the time.
Chill Reefster. You keep acting like it's YOUR money. $14mil off the books after this season.

How many top-end players live up to their long-term contracts in their late 30's? But they earned that contract. That's professional sports, man.

If they can perform like that with 14 minutes a game at their age, you'd all still complain. Maybe give Jake and actual offensive-minded players the minutes that Green gives to Sutter, Dorsett & Gaunce and we'd get some more goals. Shit, that makes too much sense.
Lol, like it’s my money? What does that have to do with it.

Yes the Sedin earned their money, LE has done jack shit to earn his. The problem is that they take a large % of the cap.

Then you go on about Jake and that I agree with you. Green suffers from “blame the young guy for every thinitis”
Every GM gets lured in July 1st, into making these types of signings, Gillis with Garrison. Benning doesn't own the rights to this, the Bruins, Wings, Islanders gave Backes, Nielsen and Ladd the same kind of money the same off season and those three teams like the Canucks are not cup contenders, big fucking deal. We are not a cup contending team to be all that concerned with the cap with a team filled with large expiring contracts on players pass their prime - the Sedins, Edler, who the fuck cares what we signed Eriksson for, no asset was lost to bring him aboard. You need to be concerned about the cap when you are a team well out of a rebuild filled with star players about to embark on their prime years. We are not their yet. We have a while before we need to start concerneing ourselves with the cap when the likes of Boeser, Juolevi, Pettersen, Demko are all signing their 2nd and third contracts. So all you Eriksson contract moaners can fuck off in the mean time
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 am

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by Cherry Picker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:33 am

I was on board with the Eriksson signing when it happened. Playing like last night was what I envisioned when he signed. Always liked his game in Boston. The signing has been a disappointment since he's been here. Hopefully last night's game wasn't a blip.
We are all Jim Benning.

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3310
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by Jovocop » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:31 am

Cherry Picker wrote:I was on board with the Eriksson signing when it happened. Playing like last night was what I envisioned when he signed. Always liked his game in Boston. The signing has been a disappointment since he's been here. Hopefully last night's game wasn't a blip.
Eriksson had a good game last night. Hopefully, Green can make use of Eriksson's strength instead of wasting it by playing him on the fourth line like WD.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13266
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:39 am

You can tell Green likes and trusts Gaunce, over Virtanen and Boeser. Gaunce is out there in the dying minutes. Boeser on the bench. Virtanen scratched. Green's familiarity with Gaunce is a huge plus for Gaunce right now.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9398
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by SKYO » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:51 am

Gudbranson settling in! was a force out there.
The grunt workers helping to energize the boys like Dorsett.

Eriksson is playing hella combative-competitive-hungry to score.

Henrik really needed a bounce to go his way.

Brown re-configuring the powerplay was awesome to see.

Nilsson settled in after awhile.

What I love about this team is their will to compete all game, never give up attitude, they never seem down and out...just beast mode.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4683
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by micky107 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:57 am

Hockey Widow wrote:You can tell Green likes and trusts Gaunce, over Virtanen and Boeser. Gaunce is out there in the dying minutes. Boeser on the bench. Virtanen scratched. Green's familiarity with Gaunce is a huge plus for Gaunce right now.
But he did ice the puck with 24 seconds left.
I'm not pickin on the guy. He had one of his best games as a Canuck.
Green does have to find a way to revolve the doors though. Jake will need his time.
If he gets sent to Utica, it wont work. He will just put in his time and be uninspired like last year.
He'll wait out the entry level and then, who knows.

Something to remember about Eriksson. In both Dallas and even more so in Boston, he had plenty of back-up
allowing him to do his thing and bang in goals close in.
Harder to get away with that here.
"evolution"

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13266
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:53 pm

micky107 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:You can tell Green likes and trusts Gaunce, over Virtanen and Boeser. Gaunce is out there in the dying minutes. Boeser on the bench. Virtanen scratched. Green's familiarity with Gaunce is a huge plus for Gaunce right now.
But he did ice the puck with 24 seconds left.
I'm not pickin on the guy. He had one of his best games as a Canuck.
Green does have to find a way to revolve the doors though. Jake will need his time.
If he gets sent to Utica, it wont work. He will just put in his time and be uninspired like last year.
He'll wait out the entry level and then, who knows.

Something to remember about Eriksson. In both Dallas and even more so in Boston, he had plenty of back-up
allowing him to do his thing and bang in goals close in.
Harder to get away with that here.
Soon they will want to make a move, barring injuries. It's one thing having Burmistrov sit but another Jake. If they aren't going to play him send him to Utica where he can play top six. Getting him killing penalties.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4683
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks at LA spn 7.30 pst

Post by micky107 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:30 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
micky107 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:You can tell Green likes and trusts Gaunce, over Virtanen and Boeser. Gaunce is out there in the dying minutes. Boeser on the bench. Virtanen scratched. Green's familiarity with Gaunce is a huge plus for Gaunce right now.
But he did ice the puck with 24 seconds left.
I'm not pickin on the guy. He had one of his best games as a Canuck.
Green does have to find a way to revolve the doors though. Jake will need his time.
If he gets sent to Utica, it wont work. He will just put in his time and be uninspired like last year.
He'll wait out the entry level and then, who knows.

Something to remember about Eriksson. In both Dallas and even more so in Boston, he had plenty of back-up
allowing him to do his thing and bang in goals close in.
Harder to get away with that here.
Soon they will want to make a move, barring injuries. It's one thing having Burmistrov sit but another Jake. If they aren't going to play him send him to Utica where he can play top six. Getting him killing penalties.
This is a long read and I'm not saying that it is exactly the same but it shows what can happen.
I hope your right Wids, I just have an eerie feeling.
http://forum.canucks.com/topic/367781-h ... lgary-pov/

There is no question Jake messed up summer 2016 but from where he's at now. I just don't know.
I do remember Sven's very first interview with 1040 AM and he was thankful to be out of there and happy to be here.
"evolution"

Post Reply