Canucks coilers Sept 30 17

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks coilers Sept 30 17

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think Dorsett is exactly the type of guy you want on your fourth line. Other than him, who will fight? I guess if we keep Archibald. But I liked Dorsett and Archibald on the same line.

If he's traded so be it. Hope we get our third back. But I don't see it. Right now we can send Archibald to Utica and if we need him we can sign him later on. But Dorsett is a huge energy guy for us, and kills penalties. Virtanen certainly isn't ready to take his role. That's not his game.

Dorsett' time will come to an end. But not this year, just a hunch.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Dorsett's fine here, sure he's overpaid but he's great on the 4th line, even if it will be a reduced role this season.

And unfortunately this team is known to get injured a lot - so it's great having proven NHL vets on every line to help cushion the injury blows when/if those hit again.

Plus we need Dorsett when Kadri or some small cheapshot artist takes another headshot on the Sedins again.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Gudbranson ?
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote:Virtanen another game another goal...Blob?
The question you have to ask yourself is if Virtanen would be better off playing 8 minutes in Vancouver or 20 minutes in Utica. I know which I'd prefer to see. I'm happy that he's had a great camp and has re-established himself as a bonafide prospect again. Lots of positives with the kid this preseason. I'd like to see him light up the AHL for a month or three and bull his way on to this roster.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
The question you have to ask yourself is if Virtanen would be better off playing 8 minutes in Vancouver or 20 minutes in Utica. I know which I'd prefer to see. I'm happy that he's had a great camp and has re-established himself as a bonafide prospect again. Lots of positives with the kid this preseason. I'd like to see him light up the AHL for a month or three and bull his way on to this roster.
Plant an eight minute seed and watch it blossom to fifteen.
It's a long year.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

We know we that we can keep three of Virtanen, Boeser, Archibald and Burmistrov, until Gaunce comes back. In the event there are no further injuries at that time, we would have to cut one more.

Unless the Canucks cut two D, and keep all four of the above for an extended look. We would still have to cut one when Gaunce comes back. It also means we carry 7 D, waiving two D that require waivers.

I think Burmistrov will stay. It has taken him time to adjust to the systems, by his own admission. But the last two games he has shown why the Canucks wanted to give him a contract. I just don't think they cut him.

The easy solution, and perhaps fan favourite, would be to send Archibald to Utica as he does not require waivers allowing both Virtanen and Boeser to stay and deal with the Gaunce issue at the right time.

I also know Benning, in the past, has preferred to carry 8 D and I don't know if he wants to risk losing two to waivers at this point, risking one is enough.

A question that Benning has to address is team toughness. With only Dorsett up front we are pretty soft. Archibald brings that element and grit I think we could use. But do you keep him ahead of Boeser or Virtanen?

I think these are the questions they are muddling through.

Baertschi's healthy may factor into this as well since we have not had an update on what's keeping him out.

I see the pros and cons of all their choices. I change my mind from one day the the next. Sentimentally I'd love all the kids to play. But practically I think Archibald could be a good fit on this team right now as we know how tough our division is.

It's then a toss up between Boeser or Virtanen. They both bring different things to this club. But going by what roles are open, to me, it should be Virtanen that gets to stay. But then when Gaunce is back someone has to go and both Gaunce and Archibald would require waivers, Virtanen does not.

You see how crazy my head is spinning over thinking this. Depth is a wonderful thing.
The only HW the Canucks need