GDT 28/12/15 Kings @ Canucks 7PM SNP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Re: GDT 28/12/15 Kings @ Canucks 7PM SNP

Post by Chef Boi RD » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:03 pm

Cassels finally broke the goose egg and scored his first goal of the year. Phew
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:09 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Hutton, Dank, Hank, Baertschi, Hansen and Vrbata: the only even in the +- area tonight.

This team has no business being in a playoff spot. Getting there will be embarrassing for us, a first round exit for sure.

I can't help cheering for them every game but find I am ok with every loss. Jim, start making trades, dump some players and cap, get some picks.
Probably right HW... but with Suter, Hamhuis and Sbisa healthy and the kids getting better with more experience
we just might beat the Flames ( if they make the playoffs )..; :) Sure dump Vrbata and see if we can get anything for Burrows and Higgins .. Love to see us kick the dammm Flames outta the playoffs.. Payback time !
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice

Hank
CC Legend

Post by Hank » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:20 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Hutton, Dank, Hank, Baertschi, Hansen and Vrbata: the only even in the +- area tonight.

This team has no business being in a playoff spot. Getting there will be embarrassing for us, a first round exit for sure.

I can't help cheering for them every game but find I am ok with every loss. Jim, start making trades, dump some players and cap, get some picks.
I think if Jim & Trev had their way, that's exactly what they'd be doing... making this transition quicker and less painful. The problem is the owner's thirst for playoff revenue, so of course the GM has to spin it to the fan-base.

Well, I'm only guessing. Anything from your sources?
Try to focus on THIS year...

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:24 pm

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Bring back the 82 Canucks - Fraser, Smyl, Delorme, Williams.
I was honestly thinking the same thing tonight...
:D Add Rota and Harold plus a very nasty dirty Colin Campbell ... plus 4 skilled centers.. Gradin, Boldirev, Hlinka and Lupul.. Not a bad team ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:28 pm

Hank wrote:

I think if Jim & Trev had their way, that's exactly what they'd be doing... making this transition quicker and less painful. The problem is the owner's thirst for playoff revenue, so of course the GM has to spin it to the fan-base.

Under Gillis he refused a rebuild request. Gillis couldn't trade Luongo and wanted to buy him out and keep Cory. Owner said no and Gillis was told to trade Cory. Owner flys to Flrida to kiss and make up with Roberto. But he trusts Linden and Linden sold him on a slow rebuild, or as we have come to know it, a transition. Owner now on board with a full rebuild, Benning and Linden not under the playoff pressure, this year. Owner still thinks we should be competitive next year. Linden and Benning have full autonomy, Gillis didn't, he had a leash.

If we are going to miss the playoffs this is the year to do it.

Let me qualify that statement. Owner ok with rebuild when we were trending down. Our getting back into a playoff position I think is fooling those guys.
The only HW the Canucks need

Hank
CC Legend

Post by Hank » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:27 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
Hank wrote:

Under Gillis he refused a rebuild request. Gillis couldn't trade Luongo and wanted to buy him out and keep Cory. Owner said no and Gillis was told to trade Cory. Owner flys to Flrida to kiss and make up with Roberto. But he trusts Linden and Linden sold him on a slow rebuild, or as we have come to know it, a transition. Owner now on board with a full rebuild, Benning and Linden not under the playoff pressure, this year. Owner still thinks we should be competitive next year. Linden and Benning have full autonomy, Gillis didn't, he had a leash.

Let me qualify that statement. Owner ok with rebuild when we were trending down. Our getting back into a playoff position I think is fooling those guys.
Interesting. Interesting. Thanks for the scoops HW!

See, I respect the heck out of JB because of his scouting, drafting & development history. I knew they were in tough coming in to manage the expectations of this owner and this fan-base. As we know, this city cannot handle the truth. They'll burn it down first, then jump on the next bandwagon.

In his first interview, I was nervous about how Simple Jim came off. But in his first season ticket gathering in the summer, I gave him a standing ovation seeing how he slyly and resoundingly shut down the urine crew in his Simple Jim style... without a trace of arrogance like the previous regime. The shit disturbers in Rogers all went quiet after that.

It boggles the mind that we could see the clear slide starting after 2012, but we are already bringing the pitchforks to this regime. What a tough job they have to satisfy this owner and market, who've been spoiled by many years of success. If you look at this objectively, thanks to JB's experience in building, this is already about as quick as painless a process as we could hope for. There is no way an Oiler-type rebuild would have been allowed to happen here.

The prospect pool is much better, there are actual kids in the lineup, bridge players are brought in to temporarily fill the gaps and even the previous regime's picks are developing under this management. I had no hope for the likes of Gaunce, etc. ever making an impact before. Yeah ok, maybe Gilman is better than Weisbrod with contracts.

If we are going to lose, then tonight is a perfect game for the owner to see... so he don't get fooled. We lose because we simply ain't good or deep enough, but we still compete, battle and take no shit from bullies. I want us to get beat for Matthews, not tank. C'mon division rivals, start winning already.

Honestly, if Aqua had any foresight and not been blinded by dollar signs, keeping Gillis & Torts for a few more years before firing them wouldn't have been terrible. NTCs would be worthless with Fonzie still at the helm. Yes, the fans would have started a second riot, Dude would have killed himself but maybe we'd have one of McJesus or Jack Eichel with Matthews on the way :mrgreen:
Try to focus on THIS year...

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:10 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The kings are the Sedins kryptonite. Plain and simple
Yeah it's the Sedins fault they are surrounded by an AHL roster .

Give me a break .
Blobby, even you have to admit that our 1st PP unit did nothing much other than throw the puck around the outside.....it's all we we ever seem to do against LA. The Kings are most certainly the kryptonite to the Sedin's style of play. Unfortunately our entire lineup seems to play that style these days.

This loss is not on the Sedins, not by any stretch, however, our entire system needs to be shaken up because the whole team did nothing more than that. All of LA's goals came with traffic in front or from a player skating through scoring areas. Our net presence was zero tonight for about 95% of the game.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:15 am

The story of the Sedins lives as Canucks. LACK OF SECONDARY SCORING. One line teams do not win. Their style of play is still relevant and can still be dominant. But without a secondary a threat they can be neutralized. We have always known that. They are most successful when our other lines have a presence, when our D is getting points, when anyone else is a threat to score.
The only HW the Canucks need

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:23 am

I drank cheap whiskey and looked at paint colours (again) or was it the other way around.

Anyways 2-3 years later and fans finally realize this team is not even close Pluto, trade anyone for the right deal and fill the vets with some ufa.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:24 am

Beaten like a bunch of terminally ill toddlers was a stirring tribute.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:36 am

But they fought back best they could. Kenins and cracknell would have been way smarter. Stubborn and stupid :stupid:
Getting old is not for the young...

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:20 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Cassels finally broke the goose egg and scored his first goal of the year. Phew
Yeah, what's up with him? It's like he's been sulking or injured. Such a great prospect and the grit we could use. Fox could jump ahead of him if he's not careful. :|
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Hank wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Hank wrote:

Interesting. Interesting. Thanks for the scoops HW!

See, I respect the heck out of JB because of his scouting, drafting & development history. I knew they were in tough coming in to manage the expectations of this owner and this fan-base. As we know, this city cannot handle the truth. They'll burn it down first, then jump on the next bandwagon.

In his first interview, I was nervous about how Simple Jim came off. But in his first season ticket gathering in the summer, I gave him a standing ovation seeing how he slyly and resoundingly shut down the urine crew in his Simple Jim style... without a trace of arrogance like the previous regime. The shit disturbers in Rogers all went quiet after that.

It boggles the mind that we could see the clear slide starting after 2012, but we are already bringing the pitchforks to this regime. What a tough job they have to satisfy this owner and market, who've been spoiled by many years of success. If you look at this objectively, thanks to JB's experience in building, this is already about as quick as painless a process as we could hope for. There is no way an Oiler-type rebuild would have been allowed to happen here.

The prospect pool is much better, there are actual kids in the lineup, bridge players are brought in to temporarily fill the gaps and even the previous regime's picks are developing under this management. I had no hope for the likes of Gaunce, etc. ever making an impact before. Yeah ok, maybe Gilman is better than Weisbrod with contracts.

If we are going to lose, then tonight is a perfect game for the owner to see... so he don't get fooled. We lose because we simply ain't good or deep enough, but we still compete, battle and take no shit from bullies. I want us to get beat for Matthews, not tank. C'mon division rivals, start winning already.

Honestly, if Aqua had any foresight and not been blinded by dollar signs, keeping Gillis & Torts for a few more years before firing them wouldn't have been terrible. NTCs would be worthless with Fonzie still at the helm. Yes, the fans would have started a second riot, Dude would have killed himself but maybe we'd have one of McJesus or Jack Eichel with Matthews on the way :mrgreen:
Bravo.