GDT: 22/10/15 Capitals @ Canucks 7:00pm SN, SN360

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: 22/10/15 Capitals @ Canucks 7:00pm SN, SN360

Post by Meds »

So is are Willie and Benning the coach/GM combo that finally realizes what a dud we have in Edler and ship him out?

Gillis could have committed grand larceny in 2012 by trading him. Sigh.....
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote: Want a full report!
*LOL* K. Well, u probably saw the game yourself, so u probably have a good feel of it. Sportsnet really does a great job of the broadcasts. With HD, big screen TVs, expert analysis, replays and camera angles, u probably get a hell of a lot more info than myself. *hehe*

Anyways, no Canucks really stuck out to me. I guess Dorsett was pretty good early on, made some nice places and played physical. Nice to see Verbata and Hank score. I was a bit surprised those shots went in, bit lucky, but we'll take em. I was like: wow, that went in? Didn't see enuff of the rookies to really gauge if they're good enuff to stick. Hutton did look pretty good with his limited minutes. He does seem to have a nice package, (skates well, good size, poise with the puck, etc). I was debating with a guy on this board on whether Hutton should stick/stay, but after watching him a bit tonite, I can see why the Canucks kept him around for now.

I was watching Ovi a bit, so didn't notice some of the other plays going on. We gave him a few chances that he likes: those one-timers on the off wing. Unfortunately, he buried it when it counted most. Was hoping for OT/shootout, but Ovi ended it.

Just an interesting note. I watched the pre-game skate and there were a bunch of Ovi/Cap fans by the boards. Ovi blatantly parked himself in front of them for like a minute, so they could get a picture of themselves with the back of his jersey. It was a nice gesture. :)
Strangelove wrote: Todd jinxed us...
*LOL* Last year, I went to see Ovi also and we won that one. I'm going to see Sid the Kid in a couple as well, we'll see how that one goes. :P
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I dunno, Todd. This fan boy stuff needs to stop. You need to have nothing but ill-will for the opposition. Ask Doc. Feel free to admire OV when he's playing the Flames, et al., but you need to be in loathe-mode when he's facing your Vancouver Canucks.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Two regulation wins in seven games . Pretty impressive stuff . Outshot by ten in your own barn while scrubs like Prust and Dorsett receive twice as much icetime as Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann . Send them back to junior . They aren't going to develop playing 6 or 7 minutes a night . May as well go back to junior and play 20 min a game and hopefully represent Canada at the WJC . Make Desjardins and Topper happy and recall Vey when Higgins comes back and roll with that for the season .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The direction of this team is a confusing one, half rebuilding and still trying to win the cup. It's a ridiculous concept cause why, it's impossible. Like Ray Ferraro says, it has to be black or white, you are either completing for the cup or rebuilding, you can't have both. I understand maintaining a high level of competition, having a good mix of good veteran players around to mentor which is the impression I keep getting from Benning. What I don't understand is why doesn't the coach understand this. WE ARE NOT winning the cup anytime soon. It's a team in transition and Willie is the one that has to manage that transition by showing some fucking confidence in the kids.

WD is an old guy, he has finally had his dream come true - becoming an NHL head coach after all these years, it's his last kick at the can and he obviously is putting his future ahead of this organization
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

^^^^^

WD's job is to win with the players he has available. It's Benning's job to decide who stays, who goes to Utica, who goes to junior and who gets traded. You don't want a coach who doesn't want to win every night. He apparently shortened his bench in response to Trotz shortening his bench to try and generate more offence. He didn't like to the way the lines were matching up when he tried to stay with rolling four at that point.

Now it makes sense to me. Still, I watch to see the kids play. I just don't have the same interest level without them in the lineup.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It's standard practice for GMs NOT to meddle with the coaches line up decisons, lines, playing time etc., tbis is something Benning has said a thousand times as does every other GM says in the league. Yes they talk about what direction they want to go in, who stays up and who goes down etc., but beyond that it's the coaches decision who gets in the starting lineup who stays out, making lines,'and playing time, etc., and that's what is pissing a lot of people off about WD. I'm nit the only. WD has been getting ripped all day today on the boards and talk shows for his lack of confidence in the kids

But most importantly it doesn't say much about WD if his coaching is dictated by what the other coach is doing. I'd rather a coach dictate the game then be bitch slapped by the other coach
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Who said the goal is to win the cup this season, let alone make the playoffs?

The stated goals by Linden and Benning are to
- integrate youth
- compete every night
- be entertaining

So far all three are being met.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote:Who said the goal is to win the cup this season, let alone make the playoffs?
Trevor Linden has talked about the playoffs being a goal.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Topper wrote:Who said the goal is to win the cup this season, let alone make the playoffs?
When? Show me the quote.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
When? Show me the quote.
Last seasons post-mortem:
"We don't plan on taking any steps backwards," said Linden. "We're trying to win. We're trying to make the playoffs and we're going to do everything we can to do that. We need to develop players, but we can't put players in the lineup who aren't ready."
Sept 6th:
"There are a few things we wanted to do last year. We wanted to get younger. We wanted to be fun to watch again. We wanted to integrate young players, and we wanted to make the playoffs. Those things will be how we measure success again."
Benning after the post-season:
Our goal is to develop young players in a winning environment, to make the playoffs, and ultimately we want to compete and win the Stanley Cup,"
Jim Benning at Training Camp in PG:
Benning also weighed in on his expectations for the organization this season.

“Well our goal is always to be a competitive team and make the playoffs and then advance in the playoffs,” he said. “That’s what we play for, a chance to compete for the Cup but it’s a long process to get there, we understand that and it starts right now though.”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Puck wrote: You need to have nothing but ill-will for the opposition. Ask Doc. Feel free to admire OV when he's playing the Flames, et al., but you need to be in loathe-mode when he's facing your Vancouver Canucks.
Nailed it. :thumbs:

As for this game, it appeared Willie was showing some bollocks by playing all 5 "kids".

Unfortunately said bollocks retreated as said game wore on.

McCann + Virtanen gave what any sane man would expect (especially offensive McCann, given ZERO ozone starts).

And any sane man should have expected a close game in the third.

Yet, Roll Four Willie transformed into Roll Three Willie before our very eyes! :crazy:

Retractile. Testicle. Syndrome.

Yes, Bart was his usual horrible weenie self, but that's on Willie for starting him over Cracknell.

So with his nuts in his throat, ole Willie ends up having to play Prust/Dorsett for 15/16 minutes.

Not gonna beat the Caps that way...

Willie, Willie, Willie, if you're gonna play the kids... PLAY THE KIDS.

Or don't.

Put them in a position to succeed or send them down you fucking balless wonder you. :evil:

Speaking of players named Bart and your idiocy, time to slot Weber in next to Hamhuis ole bean.

I'll admit I didn't at first see all the "ill-timed rushes to nowhere" Topper spoke of early in the season

... but that's all I see with this guy now (along with missed assignments in the deezone).

Bart makes a decent #7 guy I suppose, but I think I prefer my man Biega in that role.

Rack 'em.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Willie is a mongoloids jizztard . How does the guy play Derek Dorsett more minutes in the third period than Daniel Sedin last night ? You can't even make this shit up . May as well hire Graham James .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Puck wrote:I dunno, Todd. This fan boy stuff needs to stop. You need to have nothing but ill-will for the opposition. Ask Doc. Feel free to admire OV when he's playing the Flames, et al., but you need to be in loathe-mode when he's facing your Vancouver Canucks.
*LOL* I'm not going to Calgary to watch Ovi man. Anyways, a lady asked me to give a report, so I had to oblige. Honestly, I didn't even want to. I was tired getting back and it was getting late. If u don't like what I have to say, don't read it. :roll:
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:May as well hire Graham James .
Well, the kids would definitely get more attention...
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.