GDT: Oct 10: Canucks vs. Flames - 7pm - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

GDT: Oct 10: Canucks vs. Flames - 7pm - CBC

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Game 2 of the season. Game 2 vs. the Flames.

Canucks:

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Burrows-McCann-Hansen
Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bartkowski
Sbisa-Hutton

Miller

Virtanen and Weber look like they'll stay in the press-box as Willie doesn't mess with success.

Flames projected lineup:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Raymond-Bennett-Frolik
Bouma-Backlund-Bollig
Ferland-Stajan-Jones

Giordano-Hamilton
Russell-Wideman
Engellad-Kullak

Hiller

I expect a better turnout from Calgary, especially their top line. Hopefully Hamilton keeps up his penalty-happy ways and the Sedin-Sutter line keeps rolling.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Oct 10: Canucks vs. Flames - 7pm - CBC

Post by Hockey Widow »

Don't want to see Calgary return the favour and spoil our home opener. I think Hartly resorts to old tricks and has him team gunning hard to hit ever Canuck in sight. I expect a better compete level from hem tonight.

For us, Horvat's line needs to find that chemistry. Would be nice to see them get on the score sheet. Also be nice to see McCann get his first point. Expect another hard hitting game.

Unfortunately I'm out so gonna have to tape the game :D hope you guys don't miss me too much......ya I do.
The only HW the Canucks need
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

While I would like to see Virtannen in the line up, glad they are not changing the lines. Go Canucks go! Hopefully they won't ruin our home opener.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If Baertschi doesn't pick his game up he should be the one to come out for Virtanen. Don't like the chemistry on the Horvat line. Virtanen played well with Horvat during the preseason. The other lines are all good
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:If Baertschi doesn't pick his game up he should be the one to come out for Virtanen. Don't like the chemistry on the Horvat line. Virtanen played well with Horvat during the preseason. The other lines are all good

Well Baertschi did have four assists that game. Pretty clear he played well with Horvat and Virtanen too. So maybe the weak link is Vrbata? Or maybe the glue is Virtanen? Or maybe it's only been one game. Of course it was against Edmonton so maybe it was that.

But I agree it would be nice to see Baertschi get going.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:If Baertschi doesn't pick his game up he should be the one to come out for Virtanen. Don't like the chemistry on the Horvat line. Virtanen played well with Horvat during the preseason. The other lines are all good

Well Baertschi did have four assists that game. Pretty clear he played well with Horvat and Virtanen too. So maybe the weak link is Vrbata? Or maybe the glue is Virtanen? Or maybe it's only been one game. Of course it was against Edmonton so maybe it was that.

Yeah OK Boss

Apparently Marc Crawford once scored 10 goals in the preseason, found this out in his explaining to two of the many dingbats on 1040 the other day that what happens in the preseason means sweet F.A.

I'll give the odds to Vrbata as not being the problem cause well, it's Vrbata.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:
I think Hartly resorts to old tricks and has him team gunning hard to hit ever Canuck in sight.
Agreed, Hartley is that kind of evil, Canucks better keep their heads up.

I see your Vancouver Canucks winning this game though.

Big Thanksgiving dinner at the Strangelove household today!

(all centred around HNIC of course)

Be back tomorrow with a nice hangover...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Royal Dude wrote :
Apparently Marc Crawford once scored 10 goals in the preseason, found this out in his explaining to two of the many dingbats on 1040 the other day that what happens in the preseason means sweet F.A.
Yep and Shirikov was tops in the preseason (2010 - 11 ) with 6 goals

Glad we picked up Prust and think this years edition of the Canucks is younger , faster and better defensively..
Just wish they were a little tougher .. hell maybe Edler will actually hit someone ? .

Hoping the 2nd line does it this game.. Vrbata and Horvath with a goal each .. Baeratchi 2 assists :)

3-2 Canucks
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: I see your Vancouver Canucks winning this game though.

Big Thanksgiving dinner at the Strangelove household today!

(all centred around HNIC of course)

Be back tomorrow with a nice hangover...
Seeing Hartley launch would be a nice way to spend Thanksgiving.

Have a good one, Doc.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

Yeah OK Boss

I'll give the odds to Vrbata as not being the problem cause well, it's Vrbata.
True, the preseason performance of players isn't usually all that accurate a litmus test for their regular season performance, but I would like to see the Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen line back together for at least a few games. Vrbata may not be a problem on the line (which I would tend to agree with you) but sometimes the chemistry of a line isn't strictly based on the skill of the players but how they complement one another.

One game of excellence against the Oilers is by no way a sure future projection, but it just may be (or not) that those three players together have a chemistry that equals much more than the sum of their parts and I, for one, would like the line given a chance to see if that is, in fact, the case.

Hoping tonight's game is a continuation of the last in effort, quick puck movement out of the D-zone, fast fore-checking and Sedin, Sedin, Sutter success.

Now back to my usual pessimistic outlook. :look:
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Horvath will not score tonight... :shock:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I can't believe that after Game 1 we're already having a discussion about the "problem" with the second line. Let's just give everyone a few games before we start criticizing, eh?

That said, I'd also like to see the Bart-Horvat-Virtanen line again. Maybe there's nothing "wrong" with Vrbata, but if there's no senior player on the line then maybe the youthful energy gets rolling a bit better.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

rats19 wrote:Horvath will not score tonight... :shock:
I disagree, Rats. Twice.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
I disagree, Rats. Twice.
Doesn't matter...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

rats19 wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:
I disagree, Rats. Twice.
Doesn't matter...
You'll see. It's happening.