GDT: Oct 10: Canucks vs. Flames - 7pm - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Oct 10: Canucks vs. Flames - 7pm - CBC

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hartley is a pretty crafty coach, seems to have gotten better with age. Makes WD look like the rookie he is. Bob gets a lot out of his team, the players all seem to tow the company line, throw in Gaudreau and Monahan and that D core and the team won't be an easy one.

The Canucks Achilles Heel? We are still too dependant on the Sedins, but we are getting less dependent, it's just going to take awhile to become fully independent of the Sedins.

The 4th line is extremely limited but we do need the Prust/Dorsett presence to keep teams honest. The Flames do give us a bit more respect now, that's an improvement.

Let's call a spade a spade, Miller is a good goalie

The Horvat line is not a happy line. It needs tinkering

Time to put Virtanen in, just not at McCanns expense Willie you rookie hater
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Finally watched the game. We just plain stopped playing in the third. Agreed Miller was our first star. A number of D mistakes from a number of D men, not just Hamhuis.

Vrbata isn't having the start he did last year. Next game I'd sit McCann, move Vrbata with the twins, put Virtanen back with Bo, move Sutter to 3rd line. Not as punishment but to see how that looks.

Regardless of how we played in the third we could have won the OT. Bad luck bounce for Sutter after he made a good play and stripped the puck from Johnny. And Hiller earned his keep tonight, he made a couple of game savers.

I'm pleased we got three of four points. I was prepared to lose both games. We still have a lot of work to do. Our defence is at times pitiful. We need more than Hutton to infuse the back end.

McCann has a wicked shot and looked good on F/O tonight as well. He is going to be a player for us.

Cracknell experiment coming to an end??

Hate giving them that extra point but pleased we got three. It is going to be a long season.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Hockey Widow asked :
Cracknell experiment coming to an end??
Why ? his line was not on the ice for any goals against and he was the best Canuck on faceoffs at 63% and got
3 shots on goal.. ( not great shots but shots :) ) A decent 4th line center..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hockey Widow wrote:Don't want to see Calgary return the favour and spoil our home opener. ... I expect a better compete level from hem tonight.
Check!
For us, Horvat's line needs to find that chemistry. Would be nice to see them get on the score sheet.
Check!
Also be nice to see McCann get his first point.
Check!

Too bad we didn't win, but I have great hope for the future! 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Agreed Per, the future looks good indeed. Horvat and McCann at centre. Hutton on D. Those three look really good.
The potential from Virtanen, Boeser, Brisbois, Markstrom, Zukerov(sp) and maybe Cassels and Shinkaruk.

Certainly the three kids we see in the line up right now all have great promise and more on the horizon. A couple more decent drafts and it looks good.

But boy would I like a game changer or two to replace the twins. We are going to miss them when they are done. From watching McCann I think he has Eichle type potential, just don't know if he will bust out this year or not. He could be our future game changer. He needs to play a little more of a heavy game. He gets better each game.

The future just seems so far away right now.
The only HW the Canucks need
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:Hartley is a pretty crafty coach, seems to have gotten better with age. Makes WD look like the rookie he is. Bob gets a lot out of his team, the players all seem to tow the company line, throw in Gaudreau and Monahan and that D core and the team won't be an easy one.

The Canucks Achilles Heel? We are still too dependant on the Sedins, but we are getting less dependent, it's just going to take awhile to become fully independent of the Sedins.

The 4th line is extremely limited but we do need the Prust/Dorsett presence to keep teams honest. The Flames do give us a bit more respect now, that's an improvement.

Well said. I totally agree RD. I would like to see both McCann and Virtannen stick with the team.
more cap space!
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

kelowna kanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Hartley is a pretty crafty coach, seems to have gotten better with age. Makes WD look like the rookie he is. Bob gets a lot out of his team, the players all seem to tow the company line, throw in Gaudreau and Monahan and that D core and the team won't be an easy one.

Well said. I totally agree RD. I would like to see both McCann and Virtannen stick with the team.
Agree, I would sit #47 for Virtannen in the next game.
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

I think the Sedins have just continued from where they left off last year. And what about that Dank roughing penalty?? That folks is a capital L leadership.
Of all the bubble vets I also really like how Hansen has been playing. He is playing like he wants to stay with this team.
As much as we dominated the first game, if not for miller goaltending and some puck luck in that first period it could also have been a different outcome. The difference: In the first game we finished. In the second we didn't.
Rats I am with you on the Geaudreau urge. And the little fucker goes and scores the winner.
Like all of us, I continue to scratch my head on the Sbisa subject. We need another top 4 d man. Easier said than done.
I like where we are going. I love the youth content. I really hope they keep MCann, Virtanenn, and as obvious as this one seems right now, Hutton
more cap space!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

Hartly shortened his bench in the third. He's a veritable Tororella working his horses. WD continues to roll four come hell or high water.

I'm not giving up the reins to the drive Sven out of the lineup bandwagon to anyone. One preseason performance has not been enough to sway my opinion of the the floating turd. Jake.

Where's the Sbisa love? He and Tanev were the best defenders on the team last night.

McCann with the good and the bad of a rookie. He's surviving so far.

There is a Cracknell in the door for Linden Vey's triumphant return.

Hamhuis taking out Bartkowski may be the best thing to happen to that pairing.

Interesting PK by Vancouver. Pressure on the puck and an "I" formation up the middle to limit cross ice feeds.

Vancouver was sending two deep on the forecheck through the first two periods but cut back in the third and it cost them. Calgary were always challenged moving out of their zone and through the neutral zone in the first and second but had free movement in the third.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Topper wrote:
Curtis Vey is that you ? I am no fan of Adam Crackpipe but if he comes out , McCann should go back to 4 c with some pp time with Sutter slotting in with Hansen and the biter.Perhaps break up Dorsett and Prust ..... Put Vrbata back with the twins and 2 of Virtanen/Higgins/Baertschi with Bo .

Linden Vey is a loser and in reality should be 16 or 17 at best when it comes to forward depth in this organization . I would call up Gaunce or Kenins long before that wet fart .
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

It sucks to see a loss at any time. However, we took 3 of 4 points against a team that most were expecting to finish higher this season.

Miller looked sharp, the young guys contributed on the scoresheet .

There was a large turnover in personnel and line combos are still a work in progress. We experienced some growing pains but we knew there would be.

Ultimately I'm not too disappointed, it's game 2.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Big Decision - who WD takes out of the lineup for Virtanen. It's gotta be the Anaheim game, a big bodied team in their building. My gut tells me it's McCann cause he is ultra conservative and old school gutless. My hope is that its Baertschi or Crackhead. Something tells me it ain't Crackehead, WD loves these guys.

Gonna be interesting to see how it all unfolds after the 9 game mark with the eventual return of Higgins. Would not be surprised if we see both Virtanen and McCann sent down. I just hear it Linden and Bennings voices when they are asked about it.

That's how WD gets his boy Vey back, you know that's what he wants He'd rather have Higgy and Vey than Jake and Jared
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

kelowna kanuck wrote:I think the Sedins have just continued from where they left off last year. And what about that Dank roughing penalty?? That folks is a capital L leadership.
It's all part of their career path - they're Lady Byng contenders for 14 years, and now they're flipping the switch to asshole-mode. :D They'll have the benefit of the doubt from all the refs, opposing coaches and catch the rest of the league off guard. Look out!

Scanning the highlights, I saw good saves by each goalie that could have swung the game either way. So we lose in the shootout shinny overtime - not too worried, there's going to be a lot of those dumb mistakes happening while players get used to it and we'll makes some and take advantage of some.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

As an asside does anyone read the province online re Canucks shit . After EVERY article there is this very robust looking huge headed woman commenting on everything . It's fucking dope man . She is gods gift to sports fans . Cassandra something or other probably a friend of SKYO's from his dtes days rolling with the Pickton Brothers .
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Topper wrote :
duh huh.. so we replace a guy thats 62% win on faceoffs and plays a good physical game with a non hitting guy whose about 25% on faceoffs ? Brilliant !
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice