Preseason GDT: 29/9/15 Canucks@Sharks 7:30pm SN1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: Preseason GDT: 29/9/15 Canucks@Sharks 7:30pm SN1

Post by 5thhorseman »

Nice rush by Hutton!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The kids played pretty good. Vey had the game on his stick and couldn't burry it. He has to score. Hutton, what a game. Corrado, best effort yet. Loved the 4th line.

Almost there folks.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

[quote="Hockey Widow"]Virtanen causes shit and a turnover, right to McCann with a beauty of a shot. McCann has to make this team. Pure goal scorer.[/quote

Remember Shirikov ????? Preseason does not always equate to scoring in regular season ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

My thoughts:

McCann can shoot but he needs to change his pass choices in a hurry. Way to many times he tried to sneak a pass through that was easily picked off when be had better options.

Gaunce stayed out for the blood but he also went after the sasquatch a few times. I'm sure benning loved that, Gaunce is a smart guy.

Love Hutton. Can get himself out of trouble and put the other team in trouble.

Biega reminds me a bit of Weaver and I liked Weaver
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Benjo wrote:My thoughts:

McCann can shoot but he needs to change his pass choices in a hurry. Way to many times he tried to sneak a pass through that was easily picked off when be had better options.

Gaunce stayed out for the blood but he also went after the sasquatch a few times. I'm sure benning loved that, Gaunce is a smart guy.

Love Hutton. Can get himself out of trouble and put the other team in trouble.

Biega reminds me a bit of Weaver and I liked Weaver
You liked Weaver? Why?

That's like saying I liked Greg Hawgood. What's to like?

But ole Hutton and McCann again putting on a clinic

Nice shout out to Corrado, HW. I thought he had an excellent game. Canucks finally have some speedy, mobile D-men who can skate the puck out of trouble in Corrado, Hutton and Bartkowski. Biega can sure wheel to.

Not a bad effort from aging team against a veteran regular season line up in the Sharks
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

I've been watching Cracknell a bit closer this game.. Guy was our 2nd best Faceoff man this game just behind Bo .. and plays a tough physical game..Maybe McCann makes the teams 4th center with Cracknell taking the faceoffs ?
Hutton looks good and Corrado had a decent game tonight.. Could be we keep both of them and trade Weber who is gifted offensilvely but soft defensively.. No matter what he does Willie has some tough calls .. I dont think Vey is going to be here long .. He has been outplayed badly by the new kids and hasn't responded well...
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Thought we were going to get slaughtered by the veteran Sharks team, but we held our own with the rookies and the ironworkers/lunch pail/hard hat fellas.

We played pretty good with most of our vets out, so lets trade some of them haha.

Jared McCann man, dude got skills with speed and a knack for being at the right place at the right time, we gotta keep him for this season, on wing/center wherever, he's the perfect 2nd line player this team desperately needs now.

Hutton shows he's NHL material, still needs to some refinement and some muscle.

Virtanen, on any bottom 10 team in the NHL he'd be staying on with the big club so he can develop his craft in a 3rd/4th line role, but with so many veterans up front here, unless JB makes a trade or something to free up a roster spot he might get sent back to the juniors for another year.
A big guy, crash and bang with the shot, just needs some polish/direction from the coaches/vets.

Gaunce suits our 4th line/13th forward.

==

Horvat warming up, continuing on his progression.

liking that Black Sabbath ~ War Pigs line of Dorsett-Cracknell-Prust.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya, Cracknell's game tonight with Prust and Dorsett might be enough to earn him fourth line duties to start. As much as WD and Benning talk about the kids getting a spot if they earn it I think they will still be too tempted to go with the vets. The problem is, once they send Virtanen and McCann back they are gone for the year.

Benning still wants to win, still wants to make the playoffs. I think he may take the safer option after tonight. That is if Cracknell didn't Cracknell his shoulder on that hit he tried to throw!

Virtanen and McCann are the risky options. They may very well have earned a nine game look but when all is said and done i think Benning takes the safe route. Vey has to be on a short leash but I can't see the Canucks, at this point risk losing him for nothing. Somehow I think they will talk themselves into sticking with him.

Let's see what they do in the last two preseason games.
The only HW the Canucks need
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Tiger wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Virtanen causes shit and a turnover, right to McCann with a beauty of a shot. McCann has to make this team. Pure goal scorer.[/quote

Remember Shirikov ????? Preseason does not always equate to scoring in regular season ..
Tiger...is that "special coffee" still available every morning in Patpong?
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Virtanen and McCann are the risky options. They may very well have earned a nine game look but when all is said and done i think Benning takes the safe route. Vey has to be on a short leash but I can't see the Canucks, at this point risk losing him for nothing. Somehow I think they will talk themselves into sticking with him.

Let's see what they do in the last two preseason games.
I think they've each earned the regular season tryout, McCann for sure. What's the point of exhibition, and even training camp, if guys can't earn the spot on the team? Besides, what's the risk in losing Vey? Personally, I think he clears waivers. We're not talking Michael Grabner here...

You look at a guy like Max Friberg, 22, who passed through waivers apparently after having a pretty good for Anaheim, and I really don't see much interest in Linden Vey. Especially because he'll have to hold down a roster spot or he'll go right back on waivers. Other teams are too busy trying to trim down their own rosters. I would say clearing waivers now would be much easier than clearing waivers in January.

Plus, if we cut McCann, who's going to score the goals for us this year?!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Dorsett and Prust are carrying the fourthline.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I would risk Vey on waivers and hope he can find his game in Utica. The extra weight has slowed him down. It gives them options when the preseason wonders hit the real season and might not be able to continue as strongly. I like Biega and Hutton more than Webber.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Tiger wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Virtanen causes shit and a turnover, right to McCann with a beauty of a shot. McCann has to make this team. Pure goal scorer.[/quote

Tiger...is that "special coffee" still available every morning in Patpong?
Yep .. and you know everything is available at Patpong.. Did you play ping pong there ? :)