Preseason GDT, 9/26. @ 7:00PM, Flames at Canucks: SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Preseason GDT, 9/26. @ 7:00PM, Flames at Canucks: SN

Post by lostinarink »

Hockey Widow wrote:It's gonna be a long, long season.
As much as I try to be optimistic, it seems that way. Vey breakout not happening yet. Sven not there yet. Prust and Sutter don't look like it yet.

On the other hand, McCann, Horvat, Bartowski, look like they are making major steps forward.

I wonder if Benning cuts ties with more of his talent he brought in. It will be interesting to see if it all comes together when the games mean something.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Young guys played hard, most veterans didn't.

Hutton is quickly acclimating to the pro game. I think a year in the AHL would be good for him, it can be difficult for college guys to adjust to the pro schedule (82 games instead of 30).

Defense vets Tanev, Hamhuis and Edler with some glaring and sometimes casual mistakes.

Miller with some rusty reads.

Mccann has vision and hands

Tanev looks like hes worked on one timers
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

The only vet having a good game was Vrbata.. rest were playing a union game..
On the plus side the new guys on the block looked ok :)
McCann and Gaunce and Hutton having strong games
Cracknell playing a good physical game..
Miller ... rusty ?
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hutton looks really promising. The numbers will ensure he goes to Utica. We won't risk waiving Corrado. Absent a trade on D there is no room but next year?

Tanev has bulked up, and then some. He may just need to get used to playing more bulky. He used to be so thin you were afraid a hit would kill him. He doesn't look that way now but his movement is choppy. Ya, he is going to the net more and shooting more. Let's see where he is at come January.

McCann will be a victim of the numbers game too although he did play some wing tonight and I like his game. Maybe he gets a nine game look see too but between he and Jake, if one sticks, gotta think Jake's big body play earns him more brownie points. But I do like what I see from McCann.

Horvat looks ready for 2nd line duty but I think he starts on the third line.although Vrbata has been a little vocal about saying he looks forward to playing with Bo. He has the play making ability that could feed Vrbata.

Benning said Shinkaruk was sent to Utica not because he was cut but because the Canucks have an obligation to ice a strong, competitive team in France. Hinted Shinkaruk could be back sooner rather then later. Gotta think Benning is working the phones. Vey should be waived and perhaps trade Kenins while he has a little value, along with Higgins when he is healed.

Really like Gaunce's game. Grenier didn't play bad but didn't show he belonged with the twins either. Although just one game there. Still, not enough to knock Burrows or Vrbata off their line, not by a long shot.

Jensen really is the forgotten man in the system. Wonder f Benning tries to trade him rather than lose him next year for nothing.

Miller is letting in some stinkers but he also made some big saves. I think he will be ready to start the year though.

Hamhuis was bad tonight, Edler was bad tonight.

We are getting killed in 3-3. We suck. If they don't add some kids this year they risk losing a lot more fans. Wanna stay positive but I've seen nothing this preseason that has me excited, not yet anyway.
The only HW the Canucks need
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Jensen really is the forgotten man in the system. Wonder f Benning tries to trade him rather than lose him next year for nothing.
Only saw the highlights of the last two games but found myself asking "has Jensen been sent down already?" His name didn't feature once in the extended highlights package. That's pretty telling I think. A shame because this is really his last chance. I don't think new management has any bias against him but he is proving their previous comments right. Too bad as he looked promising a couple of years back.

This does feel like it's gonna be a long year. I think there's a decent chance we sink to late 90s bad but that will probably depend on one key injury. On the plus side, horvat is looking really impressive. Bit worried about the heightened expectations and sophomore slump but he is looking great so far. Really impressed with some of the young guys like Mcan and gaunce. That's what we have to hope for. Rather see the young guys play well than the rusty vets!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:
We are getting killed in 3-3. We suck.
... and just as we were getting the shootout figured out.... :/
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Watched all the Canucks preseasons games so far, I am not trying to read too much into it as it is preseason, but man do our vets not look interested.

As for the young guys, Horvat looks like he is ready to take the next step. McCann, starting to think that we need to find a space for him. Should get his 9 games, along with Virtanen. Guance looks ready too. Hutton is the only D prospect we have that is close right now.

I can see a real regression this year along with a high draft pick. Hopefully that means a top 3 pick (ours) and we can ship out Hamhuis and Vrbatta for low 1st round/high 2nd round picks. Need to ship our Hansen and Higgins(when healthy) for picks too. This could be our real transition year, one year of pain for long term gain.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

theman wrote: I can see a real regression this year along with a high draft pick. Hopefully that means a top 3 pick (ours) and we can ship out Hamhuis and Vrbatta for low 1st round/high 2nd round picks. Need to ship our Hansen and Higgins(when healthy) for picks too. This could be our real transition year, one year of pain for long term gain.
I can't see the Canucks being so horrible as to land a top-3 pick via the standings. There are going to be a few terrible hockey teams this year. I don't think we'll be a playoff team, but we're still likely good for around 90 points. I see us picking 7-10th. With the new lottery odds, we'll probably have a 5-7% chance at 1st overall, but the first 3 picks are going by lottery so maybe we sneak in that route.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Yeah, finishing bottom 3 is probably being too hopeful (although we are in a very tough division this year) but finishing bottom five should be possible, especially if the poor form from our vets carry over into the season.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
theman wrote: I can see a real regression this year along with a high draft pick. Hopefully that means a top 3 pick (ours) and we can ship out Hamhuis and Vrbatta for low 1st round/high 2nd round picks. Need to ship our Hansen and Higgins(when healthy) for picks too. This could be our real transition year, one year of pain for long term gain.
I can't see the Canucks being so horrible as to land a top-3 pick via the standings. There are going to be a few terrible hockey teams this year. I don't think we'll be a playoff team, but we're still likely good for around 90 points. I see us picking 7-10th. With the new lottery odds, we'll probably have a 5-7% chance at 1st overall, but the first 3 picks are going by lottery so maybe we sneak in that route.
I agree that's where we project if healthy but likewise I agree with blob's earlier comment. If we sustain one or two key injuries, I think we will challenge for a top 3 pick.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote:Gotta think Benning is working the phones
:cry:
Not again...
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

3 on 3, to be honest I am not sure it will be good for the Sedin's anymore. A lot of open ice and only if they have the puck will it be good, either wise they are too slow to keep up with the other team. They also have a tendency to take too long of shifts in OT. Get off the ice and get players who can skate on.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Reefer2 wrote:3 on 3, to be honest I am not sure it will be good for the Sedin's anymore. A lot of open ice and only if they have the puck will it be good, either wise they are too slow to keep up with the other team.
I'm not sure if I'm the only one who has thought this, but why would you keep them together on a 3 on 3?

Both of them are excellent passers, and let's be honest, both are pass first guys despite Dan being the "shooter" of the two. So, put them each with a shooter with some speed. Sutter isnt a set-up guy so put him with Dan who can launch him on breakaways. Hank gets Bur, Vibrator or whoever is clicking at the moment.

Hank - Bur - Dman
Sutter - Dan - Dman
Horvat - Vrbata - Dman
Vey/Gaunce/Higgins/Hanson/Virtanen etc. +Dman.

It spreads the talent out so we could have 3 decent units. Maybe WD could roll 3 line for just this one part of the game.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I think you keep them together so they can weave some cycle magic and find the backdoor cutting d-man for the tap in. I'm not sure I'd start them in OT, though.

If they can make the team, guys like Vey and Baertschi could do well in OT, where there is lots of space and less puck battles to get completely manhandled in.

Miller will need to be our best player for us to have a chance in the 3-on-3.

Don't want Sbisa on the ice at all past regulation.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Gotta think Benning is working the phones
:cry:
Not again...
No shit his phone should be taken away .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”