Preseason GDT 9/21 Sharks at Canucks - 7:30 -

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Preseason GDT 9/21 Sharks at Canucks - 7:30 -

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well now Higgins is out with a lower body injury and Jensen moved up with Bo and Hansen. Jensen looks good with them.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Well now Higgins is out with a lower body injury and Jensen moved up with Bo and Hansen. Jensen looks good with them.
Maybe it's a facade and Benning traded him tonight.....
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Pre-Season I guess. Not sure why I expected anything other than a brutal game.

Horvat and Markstrom look good. Somewhat disappointed that we didn't accomplish much with the lineup we dressed (compared to San Jose). Obviously lots of chemistry left to develop.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya, not a lot to write home about. But 3-3 sure looks like it will be exciting. Possession will be key. I know expectations are that the twins should dominate but with their lack of speed I think they could end up getting owned. It will be interesting to see how that unfolds.

Cracknell may make a decent 4th line centre. The thought of Vey there scares me.

Horvat looked good.

Both our goalies looked solid too.

What's the line up tomorrow?
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Let's not over-analyse folks. Even a seasoned vet like Sutter is taking time to adjust. Like his interviews better than Kesler's though.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Who let the horse out of the barn?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya, not a lot to write home about. But 3-3 sure looks like it will be exciting. Possession will be key. I know expectations are that the twins should dominate but with their lack of speed I think they could end up getting owned. It will be interesting to see how that unfolds.
Yeah, sure looks like it will be a wild ride. I like it a lot better than the shootout, and I think most games will end in OT. Concerned about the Sedin's foot speed, especially if play goes the other way. Seems that faster, skilled teams like Edmonton are going to feast in the OT. Then again, miss once/make one save, and play is going the other way odd-man.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Wow - 30th overall may be easy to get this year if the team cant score.

I hope Sbisa gets injured, sooooo many bad penalties and he didn't score at all, he is not worth $600k let alone $3M.

Markstrom was lucky all night, looked to be out of position a lot.

Where did they find this coach, was he ever out coached .

Nice to see special Ed back, I missed him last season.

So who are we going to draft 1st overall this year? Who is our savior?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comment;
Of the regs
Verbata and Edler looked like they were coasting against 5 yr olds playing street hockey.

Sutter looked lost

Bo picked up where he left off and he and Hansen were clicking along.

Tanev is fine, Higgins was solid reliable Higgins.... and then hurt.

Sbisa was solid and hitting well. He needs to play the puck more on his forehand as his backhand passes are terrible.

Battlers
Sven is everything offensive about Raymond without the balance of defence. He was all over the place and needs to learn that less is often more.

Gaunce distinguished himself as a contender to make the team.

Grenier was ok but can he skate fast enough for the NHL?

Bartkowski, Biega had moments good and god awful.

Hutton was playing Jr in the first period but showed steady improvement through the game. He has a ways to go but has time to get there.

Cracknell was a big surprise and as HW noted, could battle for the 4C spot.

Markstrom, while stopping everything, looked awkward.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Hockey Widow wrote:Who let the horse out of the barn?
Don't you mean "Why close the barn door after the horse has bolted."?
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

These Hockeyville preseason games are always awkward low scoring games in tiny arenas with no room to move, so the score is no surprise really.

Bo looked like he really was trying to make the team all over again.
Sbisa looked poor even against preseason chump players.
Gaunce looked like he is aiming to make the team this year.
Jensen looked like he was fighting the puck a bit but I agree with HW, he improved after Higgins went down.
Why in the world is Vrbata on the PK after we already lost Higgins to a shot blocking injury?
Markstrom looked like his usual confident self in preseason self but I'll save judgement for the regular season.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:A few comment;
Of the regs
Verbata and Edler looked like they were coasting against 5 yr olds playing street hockey.
Are you saying this in defense of poor play and that they will "flip the switch" on October 8th?
Sutter looked lost
Unsurprising. He is just beginning to mesh with a team that does not play a style designed to cater to a pair of franchise talents like Crosby and Malkin. I don't expect much from him until November some time.
Sven is everything offensive about Raymond without the balance of defence. He was all over the place and needs to learn that less is often more.
Are you talking about the same Mason Raymond that Toronto cut loose as not good enough?

The defensive prowess that saw him throw 7 hits, accumulate 13 blocks, commit 28 GvA to 24 TkA, through 57 games last year, all while piling up 12 goals and 23 points, and finishing a minus-8.....that Mason Raymond?

When are you gonna just admit that Raymond was a complete bust who is too soft for the NHL?
Cracknell was a big surprise and as HW noted, could battle for the 4C spot.
Sounds like Benning might be a better judge of talent than some people think.
Markstrom, while stopping everything, looked awkward.

Have you watched Ben Bishop much? Compared to guys like Price and Schneider he looks awkward as hell. Benning likened Markstrom to Bishop this past summer, big goalies often do look more awkward. And, frankly, I don't think anybody will be too concerned about how Markstrom looks if he is stopping 90+% of the shots he faces.
Last edited by Meds on Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

preseason games we can't judge much on the vets, they will get going 0-100 real quick when the season starts, all they are here for is finding chemistry with the new guys.

To me preseason is more about the prospects trying to take a hold of a roster spot, plus get experience and all that good stuff.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It's about getting your timing back, trying different line combos and defensive pairings. It's about working on systems and designed plays. Getting the rust off and getting up to speed. I always like this time of year, I always get excited at camp and pre-season. It's fun, nothing matters, not even winning or losing.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

[quote="Benjo)

Sbisa looked poor even against preseason chump players. [/quote]

Yeah I only watched the first period but he and Bartkowski looked the shits against a pretty scabby Sharks squad. 5.5 million for that bottom pairing. Full face palm Ignitowski . You can put Alex Biega and Ben Hutton out there and get a similar result and they might actually improve over time while playing for 20 % of the cost . Iggy is amusing if nothing else .
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”