GDT:R1G5-Calgary at Vancouver, 7pm, CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: GDT:R1G5-Calgary at Vancouver, 7pm, CBC

Post by Overtime »

cucumber wrote:The good: We won and put in a solid performance
The Bad: We are still down 3-2 in the series and need to beat calgary in calgary.
The ugly: One bad preformance/period could mean the end of the season for us.

I believe we can come back and win in 7! I kind of think that the Flames have more pressure
on them now. Oh well, we will see what transpires.

I am from cdc btw
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:WD is not impressing me in the playoffs, why is he not playing whoever is going the best more? Horvat shoukd be double shifting, shorten your bench you fucking moron
WD is clueless.
Don't put Vrbata on the top line, that might generate a goal or two.
Let's put a 3rd liner (Hansen) with the twins.
And f**k up the chemistry on Horvat's line by doing so.
Instead of putting V with the twins, let's put him with the guy who can't seem to get anything going. (Bonino)
Bonino has been useless, might as well tie a boat anchor to Vrbata. :mad:

Where's Linden Vey? :roll:
Hmm wrong on all counts :) Virbata with the twins doesn't work.. They don't need more skilled players they need net crashing guys that hit.. Burrows is out.. next closest we got is Hansen who also lends speed to the line.
Bonino scores.. Verbata looks scared out there.. Higgins with Horvath is fine..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime »

Arachnid wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Strangelove wrote:^^^ Spidey's mom!!

(sorry Spidey, couldn't resist) :mrgreen:
Wow, my mom is dead and you make a joke about it. Classy.
I just wish she'd stay dead and stop talking to you Norman Bates.

*reloads cancer gun*
You don't believe in seances? Unbeliever Makebeleafer!

Do us all a favour and Don't be a kidney donor :P

*Sacrifices small animal to channel the spirit of Cyclone Taylor for tonight*
Spidey ditched school today to attend some kind of religious order commitment. No further information available. :(
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

What is wrong with Vrbata. He suddenly turns into hands of stone and receives passes like a 5 yr old holding his first oversized wooden stick.
If he was playing anything like the way he ended the season I believe this series would have ended in our favor tonight.
One win in Calgary. Let's do this.
more cap space!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

But for a bad bounce to a Flame in the slot, 2-0 Vancouver.

Bearshe may have been unnoticeable, but that means he wasn't a liability.....and he was on the ice when his linemate sniped one.

Did that game remove the doubt in the tards that the twins have been dominant this series?

Flames are getting shots from the 10'-15' range, Vancouver continues to try to score by jamming at pucks bouncing around the crease. Wrap arounds aren't working vs Hiller.

I may have been Mason Raymond's biggest supporter while waiting for his balls to drop (yeah I said that, now fuck off), but man oh man, is he ever lost in the Flames lineup.

Once again, forwards circling back to help the defense on the breakout neutralized the forecheck. A question for someone at the game because it wasn't noticeable on TV, did Vancouver have a forward breaking through the neutral zone to limit the number of Calgary forecheckers or did the Flames let up. For some reason, getting out of the zone and through the neutral zone was much easier for Vancouver last night.

Ferland's hits are borderline charging and many are also borderline late and high. He's a bigger Matt Cooke in that way. I won't complain about noncalls, but he walking the line with those hits and would be a regular season liability with them. But dam I like the relentless effort he gives.

I'm not sure what the whining in this thread was about face washing in scrums.

Vancouver's PK was very impressive.

Vancouver more than doubled Calgary's shot total in the first two periods and then went 9-5 in the third. No let up with the lead.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

kelowna kanuck wrote:What is wrong with Vrbata. He suddenly turns into hands of stone and receives passes like a 5 yr old holding his first oversized wooden stick.
If he was playing anything like the way he ended the season I believe this series would have ended in our favor tonight.
One win in Calgary. Let's do this.
It's good we only signed him for 2 years. He is good in the regular season.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:A few comments;

Bearshe may have been unnoticeable, but that means he wasn't a liability.....and he was on the ice when his linemate sniped one.

Did that game remove the doubt in the tards that the twins have been dominant this series?

Flames are getting shots from the 10'-15' range, Vancouver continues to try to score by jamming at pucks bouncing around the crease. Wrap arounds aren't working vs Hiller.

I may have been Mason Raymond's biggest supporter while waiting for his balls to drop (yeah I said that, now fuck off), but man oh man, is he ever lost in the Flames lineup.

Once again, forwards circling back to help the defense on the breakout neutralized the forecheck. A question for someone at the game because it wasn't noticeable on TV, did Vancouver have a forward breaking through the neutral zone to limit the number of Calgary forecheckers or did the Flames let up. For some reason, getting out of the zone and through the neutral zone was much easier for Vancouver last night.

Ferland's hits are borderline charging and many are also borderline late and high. He's a bigger Matt Cooke in that way. I won't complain about noncalls, but he walking the line with those hits and would be a regular season liability with them. But dam I like the relentless effort he gives.

Vancouver more than doubled Calgary's shot total in the first two periods and then went 9-5 in the third. No let up with the lead.
Refs said no more of that shit after the whistle yet obviously they still let it happen. Maybe I'm just getting tired of the Sedans taking it. Zack would never allow that 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Arachnid wrote:

Refs said no more of that shit after the whistle yet obviously they still let it happen. Maybe I'm just getting tired of the Sedans taking it. Zack would never allow that 8-)
Minimal, quickly and easily broken up, no retaliation to escalate.

What was the issue? Both side were guilty.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

Toppers morning coffee clarity
Minimal, quickly and easily broken up, no retaliation to escalate.

What was the issue? Both side were guilty.
Just once, ONCE can Dank glove punch someone (not Hank, he's the nice one, Daniel is his Evil twin).
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: Bearshe may have been unnoticeable, but that means he wasn't a liability.....and he was on the ice when his linemate sniped one.
Precisely! The game was clearly far faster than he anticipated for his first few shifts. His timing was way off resulting in some scrambly plays, he looked far better as the game wore on and he got used to the pace.

Lets remember the last NHL game he played was an exhibition game and now we're in the playoffs.
Topper wrote: Once again, forwards circling back to help the defense on the breakout neutralized the forecheck. A question for someone at the game because it wasn't noticeable on TV, did Vancouver have a forward breaking through the neutral zone to limit the number of Calgary forecheckers or did the Flames let up. For some reason, getting out of the zone and through the neutral zone was much easier for Vancouver last night.
Noticed this a fair bit, they kept a forward high. Often the far winger pushing the defense back creating a gap between the Flames defense and high forward. The flames tried to adjust but having the 3rd forward sit even higher which resulted in their forecheck being far less effective.

Ferland showed how absolutely fucking useless he is when he can't get in on a forecheck.

When we support the puck carrier and move the puck quickly the Flames can have all the speed on the planet but they can skate as fast as the puck travels.

The get out of position and make entry into their zone far easier.

Now if Sbisa could actually skate and pivot he may actually get out of our zone without giving up the puck. He's a disaster when they go D to D and he tries to pivot and turn up ice. He looks like a beer leaguer pivoting to his left and heading up ice, all momentum slows and the Flames catch him so easily.

It's a huge issue with his game and why he keeps turning the puck over so much, he loses time and space that is gained by going D to D.
Last edited by Aaronp18 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

OK - that was a Canucks game. That crap we played in Calgary was Calgary baiting us into getting off our game plan. We starting running around and worrying too much about being physical. In this game we were focused and unemotional. Do that two more times, please.

Great game. Not perfect, but pretty much dominated for 60 minutes like game 2. We'll have to be even better on Saturday if we're going to pull this off.

These Flames though, man are they annoying. Somebody said the have horseshoes up their ass, and I cannot disagree. The Canucks should have had three or four goals, but the Flames managed to keep it close.

Can the Flames continue to get fantastic goaltending, a lucky bounce or two every game and have their seeing eye point shots make it through (think they've scored 3 or 4 long seeing eye goals from the point now)?

The Sedins were simply dominant - again. The out possessed, out shot and out chanced Calgary by a wide margin - again. They are still not the best finishers, and are getting worse as time goes on, but those minute eating shifts wear down defenders who are bound to make a mistake at some point, like we saw on Daniel's goal. If they continue to get several Grade A scoring chances a game, the floodgates are bound to open. God I hope that's on Saturday.

Interesting that Willie broke the rotation and put the Sedins out for an extra offensive zone draw when Dank scored the GWG. Do that more willie.

Vrbata looked better. Great shot from Bonino - that's been missing since before Christmas.

Nice of Calgary to give Miller a warm up game.

The Sedins and Edler-Tanev can still play more. Sbisa-Bieksa should still be playing a lot less. More Horvat would be nice, but it's interesting to note that Game 5 saw a big shift in terms of WD shortening his bench.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

herb wrote:those minute eating shifts wear down defenders who are bound to make a mistake at some point, like we saw on Daniel's goal.
Engelland

again

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:
herb wrote:those minute eating shifts wear down defenders who are bound to make a mistake at some point, like we saw on Daniel's goal.
Engelland

again
Yeah!

Fuckin' limey bastard...

Another pro of playing the Sedins more is they are more likely to be on the ice against Engelland.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Willie noticeably threw Hank and Dan out there with Engelland every chance he could. Icings especially, led to some completely dominant shifts!
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler »

Canucks had twice as many shots but not many were challenging for Hiller,they're going to have to do better than wraparounds and hitting him in the crest w/o net presence.

Vrbata had a better game,he got hit quite a bit in game 4 and it seemed to throw him off, I expect an even better performance in game 6.

Thought Bieksa had his best game of the series,nothing outstanding, but some good positional play and some nice shot blocks along w/o allowing himself to be baited by Ferland.

Higgins also had a good game giving great support to the D in own zone play

Miller ++

Sedins ++

Can't wait for Saturday!!!