Canucks @ Leaves, 4:00 Saturday December 6, CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
CC Legend

Re: Canucks @ Leaves, 4:00 Saturday December 6, CBC

Post by Meds » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:58 pm

Hank wrote:It sucks to lose to the Leaves, but move on. Next.

Edit: every big ticket goalie including Miller has had a few stinkers already this season. Going into this season with Lack as your starter and Markstrom as the backup would have been asinine.
True story.

Lundqvist, Rinne, Price, Quick.

In my opinion, those are the top 4 (in order) goaltenders in the league over the last 5 years.

Lundqvist has had a shakier start than normal, but I think he's the most consistent and dependable goaltender who brings an elite level of play game to game.

Rinne seems to have a similar level of consistency, but this is the first year I've seen him behind a team that isn't playing Trotz's full team defense. Coming back from injury though, I think hes' the best in the league at the moment.

Price is nearly as consistent as Lundqvist, and when he's in the zone he is better than an in-the-zone Lundqvist, Price hasn't found that same level of consistency yet. The difference between the two of them is razor thing though.

Quick is probably the best in the league when he's in the zone. It's not breaking news though when I say that he can be very up and down, and he gets more help from the team in front of him than any other goaltender in the league.

I don't think many, in their right mind, would argue with that group of names. The order is up for debate though. But only Quick and Rinne are in the top 5 for SV% this year. Price is 14th and Lundqvist 29th (adjusted for goaltenders with more than 10 games played).

Game to game I think any of these guys could be the better goaltender. But judging by SV% and a review of some of the games and the actual goals that beat them, they have all had games. Lundqvist has had 6 stinkers this year, Rinne and Quick have both been off on 3 occassions, and Price has been weak 4 times.

Interestingly enough, of those 4 guys, only Rinne has more wins than Miller. He also has played 2 more games, and Lundqvist actually only has 9 wins in 19 games.

So it's a wash, really, because so much of the goaltender's stats are heavily effected by the team in front of him.

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Meds wrote:I think it's time we had a coach who sends the Sedins a message.....

When you are in the slot, wide open with the puck, and can walk right down main street, you DO NOT PASS THE PUCK INTO THE FUCKING CORNER TO YOUR BROTHER.....ESPECIALLY WHEN WE ARE TRAILING BY 3 FUCKING GOALS IN THE 3rd PERIOD!!!!!
Amen ... specially when your shooting % is way higher.. Hank has been carrying Danny boy for 3 years..

So we outplayed the Leafs and got nada.. Hockey Gods are fickle..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice

okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
okcanuck wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Meds wrote:Ok, just saw the 2nd period goals on Miller.

I really can't fault him on this game.
What game did you watch, $6M for a goalie and tonight he looked like a back up.

You cant win them all but like HW I was calling for him to be pulled after the 2nd goal. You could see he was not in the "zone" or what ever you call it for goalies.

Lack should get the start tomorrow and if he has a good game then he starts the next game.

Are you fucking kidding? Miller is second in the league in wins. One rotten game and you so-called fans are ready to throw him under the bus. What a joke!!!! We lost ! Big deal! On to Ottawa , play Lack . All we need is 2 pnts to make this a sucsessful road trip.
Oh Christ, yes he won a lot of games yes I agree.

Is he better than Luongo yes I agree

GAA 33rd in the league.

SV% 38th in the league.

What does that tell you? The team scores a lot of goals in front of him.

Do I think he is a bad goalie no? Do I think he is worth $6M ... a big hell no.

Do I think he has done a good job in Vancouver? with his wins I would say yes, does he give the team confidence? I guess he does. Grant Fuhr (or someone else) once said you don't need the best stats you just need to stop 1 less goal then the other goalie. I agree with this but Miller is proven to be an OK goalie and tonight he was one of the reasons why the team lost.

But when he stinks, he stinks.

Again $6.0M which is tied for the 9th/12th highest in the league you expect better.

I don't give a shit if he is 60th in the league in save percent ,bottom line is he has won 16 games. I would hate to think where we would be if Lack was our no. 1 goalie. By the way Miller is worth every penny of that 6 million.

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hank » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:28 pm

Meds wrote: So it's a wash, really, because so much of the goaltender's stats are heavily effected by the team in front of him.
Yeah, you gotta remember who's in front of him.

Edler
Stanton
Bieksa
Sbisa
Weber

Edler is having a bounce-back year, but these here guys aren't exactly the paragon of hockey IQ. When they're bad, they are BAD... just like the goalies would be.

If you look back at the previous two games, we played real well and absolutely controlled both the Pens and Caps. One was a shutout and the other: bonehead giveaway by Matthias leads to first goal, puck goes through a four-man screen on the second, and a horrible lazy pass by Henrik during a 4-on-4 for the third.

That doesn't help your goals against or save percentage.

I bet Anaheim or even SJ wishes they could have snapped up Miller.
Try to focus on 2 years from now...

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Reefer2 wrote: Oh Christ, yes he won a lot of games yes I agree.
It's a relief to see that you aren't so far gone that you have started arguing with simple facts.
Is he better than Luongo yes I agree
I'm not sure who you're agreeing with here because nobody asked that question recently. But good to know you think he's better than Luongo, because.....
Reefer2 wrote: GAA 33rd in the league.

SV% 38th in the league.

What does that tell you?
That tells me you haven't really thought much about this because when you quote those stats (which are wrong btw, but I'll get to that later) immediately after saying he's better than Luongo, you really do paint yourself as a [mod edit] Luongo has a SV% of .925, and a GAA of 2.37, which settles him into 7th and 12th respectively, among goaltenders with 10 or more games played. That's much better than what you are crediting to Miller.

And the part where you are wrong.....among starting goaltenders (10 games or more), Miller is 23rd in GAA and 32nd in SV%.
Reefer2 wrote: Do I think he is a bad goalie no? Do I think he is worth $6M ... a big hell no.
So who would you say IS worth $6M?
Reefer2 wrote: Do I think he has done a good job in Vancouver? with his wins I would say yes, does he give the team confidence? I guess he does. Grant Fuhr (or someone else) once said you don't need the best stats you just need to stop 1 less goal then the other goalie. I agree with this but Miller is proven to be an OK goalie and tonight he was one of the reasons why the team lost.
So you agree that it's not about the individual stats.....then why are you so hung up on them?
Reefer2 wrote: But when he stinks, he stinks.
Well that can be said of EVERY goaltender.
Reefer2 wrote: Again $6.0M which is tied for the 9th/12th highest in the league you expect better.
It's true, some would still expect more from a guy getting $6M, but that's what you have to pay when you have no starting goaltender and are forced to pick one up via free agency.

His salary is actually tied for 12th (not 9-12) in the league with Mike Smith and Jimmy Howard. Most nights I would much rather have Miller over either of those guys.

Let's have a look at a sampling of who is signed around the league and makes more than him.....I'll obviously be omitting guys like Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne, and Miller.

Rask, Luongo, Ward, Crawford, Lehtonen, Bobrovsky, and Howard.

I don't think I would want any of those guys backstopping this version of the Canucks over Miller, but I guess you would rather have one of them.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:47 pm

Well fack me.....Dock certainly jinxed and pissed off the Hockey Gods tonight :evil:

Bloody MakeBeleafers 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:53 pm

The problem so far with Miller is when he loses he loses big. He lets goals in in bunches, bam, bam, bam, one after the other. It's like he has a tell. In one game he can let in a goal, good or bad, but you get the feeling he is on his game. Then another night he lets in a goal and you can see he isn't on his game. Tonight after the second goal there was something in his body language that you knew, just knew, a couple more were coming.

This is where WD has to get the hook out earlier and let Lack play. Am I glad we have Miller, yes, he is a big reason why we are were we are. That doesn't take away from the fact that when he is letting them in he lets them in, for whatever reasons. After the third goal I was yelling to pull him. It wasn't his game, the body language thing. Before you could blink it was 4-0. Is it he team in front of him? Some nights hell yes. Others, it's just a sense you get watching him that it will be one of those nights.

When he is on, he is so calm and again the body language speaks volumes. We deserved this game. We out played the leaves and fought hard but. Bernier made some great saves that allowed the leaves momentum. Miller failed to make one big save that may have made the difference.

Do I lay this all at Miller's feet? No, some pretty sloppy D had a whole lot to do with it, but Miller has to make at least one big save somewhere in that 4-0 run.

And of all the games he has won for us, how many did he win and how many did our offence win?
The only HW the Canucks need

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:32 pm

Honestly I don't think Miller is the reason we are where we are. The only reason I think this team is having success is because all the forward lines are rolling. I see Miller as a plug with this team. He's here to fill a void until we have someone else that is ready to be a bonafide starter. He's good enough to help this team win games, as long as they keep finding the back of the net, but I think Miller's days of being a guy who carries a team are behind him.

Mark my words, if this team stops averaging over 3 GF/G they will be in the same place as they were last season.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:45 pm

Mark his words .

Lol just read the urine fest at hfboards . Fucking phenomenal .

Miller stunk it happens . I would have rode the hot hand myself but no need to crap on RM. Canucks need to bury some fucking chances and not hang he goalie out to dry .
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:07 am

Damn, one of our hottest players (Matthias) got knocked out with an elbow. He looked pissed when he was walking off the bench, like he wanted a chance to make Robidas pay. Hope he's not out long-term.

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:40 am

Mondi wrote:Seems to me that the Leafs have gotten away with lots of hooking and holding tonight.

And, Healy and Simpson are at their smug and anti-Canucks best when Vancouver is losing.
Canuck fans whining about HNIC. LOL. They hate the Leafs. Love the Canucks. Hughson was crying last night.

And Healy/Simpson hate the Canucks? Well they certainly hate the Leafs too then.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:44 am

BigTuna wrote:
Mondi wrote:Seems to me that the Leafs have gotten away with lots of hooking and holding tonight.

And, Healy and Simpson are at their smug and anti-Canucks best when Vancouver is losing.
Canuck fans whining about HNIC. LOL. They hate the Leafs. Love the Canucks. Hughson was crying last night.

And Healy/Simpson hate the Canucks? Well they certainly hate the Leafs too then.
See this is where you lose your credibility fishman...Simpson was masterbating he was so gleefull. Healy is just a to tard and hughson was actually close to neutral....
You are who you hang with.....

kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:56 am

First off, all of our comments are clouded by the fact that we want the leaves, along with their city, to be sucked into the deep recesses of the Earth forever.
That being said, after the second goal, on close ups I didn't see the look in Miller's eyes as, "now I'm really fucking mad", I just saw doubt.
I would have pulled after 3 goals.
Positives. The team battled back. We outplayed the cocksuckers.
Anyone hear any update on Mathius?
kk
more cap space!

dangler
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by dangler » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Miller stunk it happens . I would have rode the hot hand myself but no need to crap on RM. Canucks need to bury some fucking chances and not hang he goalie out to dry .
Yeah i was kinda surprised Lack didn't get the start after posting a shutout in Pittsburgh
Retool Rebuild

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:02 am

rats19 wrote:
BigTuna wrote:

See this is where you lose your credibility fishman...Simpson was masterbating he was so gleefull. Healy is just a to tard and hughson was actually close to neutral....
Simpson and Healy are no Leaf fans.

Talk about credibility lost. Hughson was "Neutral"? LOL. Bob Cole never showed that kind of homerism for the Leafs.