GDT: Canucks @ Capitals 12/02/14 4 PM PST SNP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Capitals 12/02/14 4 PM PST SNP

Post by Topper » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:I think that was the biggest thing with Torts. He can't adapt to the team in front of him. Would he be any better with this year's version? I doubt it. He'd still be riding the twins and expecting them to adapt to him. He would still not be able to get the best from Edler. He would love Sbisa. Not sure of what he would think of Bonino and Vrbata. Horvat' he would ruin and Vey he would hate.

He has a very specific style and it works with the right players and at the right time in history. The game has changed, reffing has changed, players expectations of how they should be treated has changed. Torts has not. I think he is/was a good coach but not in today's NHL. I also don't like how he seemed to completely divorce himself from Utica and who was in our system. Old school plain and simple. He should follow Keenan to the KHL for a couple of years. :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?p=190414#p190414

viewtopic.php?p=196194#p196194
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:26 pm

Oh sure, I follow you on this thread with a few Torts comments and you refer me to other threads. Nice, do as I say not as I do mentality. :oops: :oops:

I'll stop.
The only HW the Canucks need

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:04 pm

LOL,

I just think it is funny that the Torts style vs the team that was assembled for a previous coaches style makes the media and the boards these days as though they just figured it out
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Topper wrote:LOL,

I just think it is funny that the Torts style vs the team that was assembled for a previous coaches style makes the media and the boards these days as though they just figured it out
Well, it could also have been that the core was past its prime. Many a poster has suggested this.
But now, with Torts gone, the twins look just fine to me.
Maybe not Art Ross fine, but top twenty in scoring fine, which is pretty decent imho.
In a thirty team league, it is not every team that has two players in the top twenty.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:15 pm

Vrbata has been an absolute great pick up for the twins. He plays a great 200' game and compliments their style. He is a pure goal scorer to boot. And to think Iginal was our first choice and he was set to come here until the AVs offered one more year than we were prepared to go, then bam, Benning goes to Vrbata and the rest is history.

A friend of mine told me he had been speakng to Iginla at the time and he was excited to be a Canuck and excited to get a chance to play with the twins. He is also a huge Benning fan. Then the AVs increased their term. Bennng was given a chance, to match the term and he politely declined. As for Iginla he pegged the AVs and Canucks as similar chances to compete for the cup so he chased the money, not that I blame him. Wonder how deep his regrets go right now.

Figure if I'm going to stray off topic my as well go all the way off topic :mrgreen:

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Vrbata has been an absolute great pick up for the twins. He plays a great 200' game and compliments their style. He is a pure goal scorer to boot. And to think Iginal was our first choice and he was set to come here until the AVs offered one more year than we were prepared to go, then bam, Benning goes to Vrbata and the rest is history.
Verbata has played great with the twins, no arguements here. I still think I'd take Iggy over him though, more grit and leadership. I think Iggy would be very similar to how Anson Carter performed with the twins and he'd deliver more in the playoffs. That being said, he is like 4 years older than Verbata, so that is a big factor, especially if the player is pushing the high 30s.

Gotta say, Verbs is showing great chemistry with the twins. I think on that power-play goal, Hank was holding the puck in the corner for like 10 secs, looking for someone to feed it to. Verbs just pointed his stick to the point man, non-verbally saying: hank, the point man is open. Hank moved it there, the point-man fired the shot, there was a bit of a scramble and Verbs buried it. I'll also say that I like how Verbs knows he was brought in here to score and perform with the Sedins; he seems to have full confidence in himself and is very comfortable in his role.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:24 pm

Iginla's contract is ridiculous. Guy is 37. He's on pace for 13 goals in year 1 of his deal. He's scoring goals at the same pace as Richardson and points the same as Higgins, for much more money. His cap hit will count if he retires. For 300K LESS I'll happily take a 40-goal pace Vrbata.

While I would've loved to have a 30-year old Iginla here in Vancouver, the 37 year old Iggy is cashing in before he sails into the sunset. The guy has some hard miles on him, and I'm not sure he'll even last until his deal is up.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:08 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Vrbata has been an absolute great pick up for the twins. He plays a great 200' game and compliments their style. He is a pure goal scorer to boot. And to think Iginal was our first choice and he was set to come here until the AVs offered one more year than we were prepared to go, then bam, Benning goes to Vrbata and the rest is history.

A friend of mine told me he had been speakng to Iginla at the time and he was excited to be a Canuck and excited to get a chance to play with the twins. He is also a huge Benning fan. Then the AVs increased their term. Bennng was given a chance, to match the term and he politely declined. As for Iginla he pegged the AVs and Canucks as similar chances to compete for the cup so he chased the money, not that I blame him. Wonder how deep his regrets go right now.

Figure if I'm going to stray off topic my as well go all the way off topic :mrgreen:
Yeah, the guy just can't pick a team eh....

Pittsburgh over Boston.....Bruins go to the finals. Boston over other options, gone in the 2nd round. Avalanche over Canucks (for the cash), bottom 23rd overall at just past the 1/4 mark.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:22 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: I think Iggy would be very similar to how Anson Carter
:look:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:29 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: I think Iggy would be very similar to how Anson Carter
:look:
Racist!!!

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:14 am

Hockey Widow wrote:I really thought this year would be relaxing to watch. Wrong!!!
Wrong again, it's relaxing at its best....... so far. :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:12 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Gotta say, Verbs is showing great chemistry with the twins. I think on that power-play goal, Hank was holding the puck in the corner for like 10 secs, looking for someone to feed it to. Verbs just pointed his stick to the point man, non-verbally saying: hank, the point man is open. Hank moved it there, the point-man fired the shot, there was a bit of a scramble and Verbs buried it. I'll also say that I like how Verbs knows he was brought in here to score and perform with the Sedins; he seems to have full confidence in himself and is very comfortable in his role.
Who in the hell is Verbs?

I looked on the Nucks roster and couldn't find anyone by that name?

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:57 am

Reefer2 wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Gotta say, Verbs is showing great chemistry with the twins. I think on that power-play goal, Hank was holding the puck in the corner for like 10 secs, looking for someone to feed it to. Verbs just pointed his stick to the point man, non-verbally saying: hank, the point man is open. Hank moved it there, the point-man fired the shot, there was a bit of a scramble and Verbs buried it. I'll also say that I like how Verbs knows he was brought in here to score and perform with the Sedins; he seems to have full confidence in himself and is very comfortable in his role.
Who in the hell is Verbs?

He is well noun....where ya bin?
You are who you hang with.....

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:54 pm

rats19 wrote:
Reefer2 wrote: Who in the hell is Verbs?

He is well noun....where ya bin?
*LOL* :lol:

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:13 pm

Reefer2 wrote: Who in the hell is Verbs?

Verbs is Verbs. Who else plays with the bros? :P