GDT: Oct 10: Canucks at Detroit- 11 AM - CITYTV

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Oct 10: Canucks at Detroit- 11 AM - CITYTV

Post by SKYO » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:23 pm

Sbisa basically with the GWG for Detroit.

Special teams controlled the beginning of the game, some missed calls on both teams nonetheless the team has to start a little better, time to load the locker room with energy drinks and extra strong coffee for these early games.

Miller played well.

We out-shot em.

Re-sign Matthias.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:28 pm

Only saw the third period so I can't really comment on how we played. But the one thing I wonder is about starting goalies. Now overall I am happy with Miller but Lack had a pretty good season last year all things considered. Under AV and Torts they employed a more analytical approach a lot more in selecting the starter. A game like today, with Miller's career record against Detroit and a morning game, we would have seen CS and Lack get the starts, in their respective years with us.

There have been several games where we lost and gave up four or more goals where I thought the same thing, start Lack. I know Miller was coming off back to back SO so that speaks volumes but in reality he never stole those games. He played good solid positioning and made key saves when he had to. Again today that fourth goal was a killer, never saw the three before that so I don't know about those.

I would like to get Lack in more than we have seen. In fairness, since I only saw the third, i don't want to come across as blaming Miller. Others can comment on that. Just overall I'd like to see us get Lack in more, for now and for the future.
The only HW the Canucks need

griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:33 pm

Detroit looked good early. But they had puck luck and officiating on their side. Canucks nearly pulled it off though, and I'm happy with that push at the end of the game. Just wondering where it was earlier...?

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Hockey Widow wrote: A game like today, with Miller's career record against Detroit and a morning game, we would have seen CS and Lack get the starts, in their respective years with us.
I have no problem starting Miller in this game. He doesn't play for Buffalo anymore, so I don't see how his career record is totally relevant. Lack hasn't been good this year. I think WD's thought process was that Miller is our better goalie, who is clearly playing well lately, against one of the league's better teams, and he gives us the best chance to win.

Part of the problem I had with the Gillis era was their tendency to overthink things. If it was starting goalies, flight timings, sleep patterns whatever. They tried to outsmart too many problems, where often times in sports the simplest solution is the best.

The fourth goal was a tough one, looked like it clipped our d-man's pants and dipped in. Not sure he saw it. At the end of the day those are the kinds of bounces that lead to crippling goals. At the other end, puck off the boards, hits Howard but stays out. There was also the Bonino own-goal that wouldn't have gone in if he wasn't there. Tough game for Miller.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:45 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tough game for Miller.
Fair enough IN. I would still like to see Lack get more starts. From the sounds of it though we didn't really show up until the third. Hard to win when that's the case.
The only HW the Canucks need

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:54 pm

I see no reason to fault Miller in this one. The players in front of him phoned it in

Never mind how lifeless the Sedin line was tonight, where was Boninos line?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Mondi wrote: What is starting to bug me is that that this team is probably one solid dman (perhaps just Hammer) and one sniper away from being pretty damn interesting. But, this may not be the year to load up.
Yeah that second line is still enigmatic. If it wasn't for the third and fourth lines stepping up in recent weeks it could be a different story. Another bonafide second line winger would really help broaden the threat up front. Higgins would be an elite third liner.

As it is, Mondi is correct: we can't win them all. The effort was certainly there, I just don't think the execution or talent level was capable of matching the Wings in this one.

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mondi wrote: What is starting to bug me is that that this team is probably one solid dman (perhaps just Hammer) and one sniper away from being pretty damn interesting. But, this may not be the year to load up.
Yeah that second line is still enigmatic. If it wasn't for the third and fourth lines stepping up in recent weeks it could be a different story. Another bonafide second line winger would really help broaden the threat up front. Higgins would be an elite third liner.

As it is, Mondi is correct: we can't win them all. The effort was certainly there, I just don't think the execution or talent level was capable of matching the Wings in this one.
Yeah Burrows age really shows some nights and Higgins is still not a bonafide top 6. This where our weakness will show in the playoffs where the intensity ramps up. Higgins always disappears come the playoffs cause he doesn't have that gear.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Only saw the third period so I can't really comment on how we played. But the one thing I wonder is about starting goalies. Now overall I am happy with Miller but Lack had a pretty good season last year all things considered. Under AV and Torts they employed a more analytical approach a lot more in selecting the starter. A game like today, with Miller's career record against Detroit and a morning game, we would have seen CS and Lack get the starts, in their respective years with us.
As you mentioned, back to back shutouts going in, no coach will put the backup in when your starter is riding that kind of high and it's not a back-to-back.

Look at the goals though. Only the 2nd goal can I even remotely hang on Miller, cross ice feed and he kinda read the pass wrong and lost an edge so he couldn't even come halfway across.

Goal one was through traffic and Kronwall was allowed to walk right in off the point and wired it top corner.

Goal 2 was as above.....on the PP too I think.

Goal 3 was a great save and then a scramble that required Sbisa and his partner to put it into the net. Sbisa sweeps it towards his own goal, off the post, off a Canuck skate, into the net.

Goal 4 was a goofy one too.

Miller's play, one way or the other, probably shouldn't even be brought up in this one.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:10 pm

A few comments;
This is the type of game I expected to see more of this season.

Ref's lost Vancouver the game? Is this place Bountiful?

Bounces went the other way, good to be lucky, lucky to be good.

Hamhuis was sorely missed.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:13 am

I like Miller's American swagger tho' much better than the 'ah man - I let you down' Lu.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:18 am

Didn't expected 14 points on the roadtrip.

This game was winnable but too many basic mistakes leading to goals. First 2 were clear covering mistakes by Daniel and like Oates said, he knows that by himself.

Doesn't meant to be, i don't like early sundays.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013