GDT-VCR@LAK Nov 8 2014 7pm PST TV-CBC Radio-Team1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
CC Legend

Re: GDT-VCR@LAK Nov 8 2014 7pm PST TV-CBC Radio-Team1040

Post by Meds » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:13 pm

RoyalDude wrote:If the Kings do the usual, flip the switch come the playoffs and play to their best, ain't no reason why they can't win the cup again. They are just too good when they play their A game.
Yeah. This is what could have been in Calgary from 2004 til 2010 or so.....if they hadn't gone and promoted him to GM. Shoulda kept him behind the bench and made moves to get a legit top line center. They really were only 2 or 3 pieces away from having an amazingly strong team.

Dutter is great at working with the players and getting them buying into a system etc.....he's not great at signing, re-signing, and trading. I think once his focus was split between the GM duties and coaching, he couldn't manage both, and the GM duties trumped coaching.

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:01 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:How much does Meds hate Edler right now?
Good thing when we traded L hand D that it was Garrison gone instead of superstar Edler right?

You mean Country Club Garrison? I miss his relaxed style breaking no sweat hockey. That big boom stick shot with no aim nor direction was golden. I see he's made the Lightning a powerhouse Cup Contender. Garri, loves the Flip Flop Florida...lifes a beach for ole Garrison White Rock Beach.
Yep, We'd like Garrison a whole lot more if he played like Shea Weber - but then he'd be paid like Weber.
The question is, does Edler have more upside than Garrison? ... Jury is still out on that one
Is there a trophy for League worst +/- in a season, and can he win it again? :?

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:01 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:
Good thing when we traded L hand D that it was Garrison gone instead of superstar Edler right?

You mean Country Club Garrison? I miss his relaxed style breaking no sweat hockey. That big boom stick shot with no aim nor direction was golden. I see he's made the Lightning a powerhouse Cup Contender. Garri, loves the Flip Flop Florida...lifes a beach for ole Garrison White Rock Beach.
Yep, We'd like Garrison a whole lot more if he played like Shea Weber - but then he'd be paid like Weber.
The question is, does Edler have more upside than Garrison? ... Jury is still out on that one

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:43 pm

Zamboni Driver wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:

Not sure, but remember when Torterrella scratched Garrison and his $5 million per contract? Ole Garrison Chillaxin' up in the press box in his flip flops
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:54 pm

Edler is faster, hits harder, has a fairly equal shot, and can carry the puck more effectively.

Garrison is smarter, and has better hands for passing and receiving passes. But Garrison had absolutely ZERO mean streak.

I think Edler has more upside.....but that's it. It is potential.

There was a time where I would have taken Garrison over Edler 9 times out of 10. Not anymore. I want to see a meaner team on the ice.....and when you say that and admit that Edler makes a team meaner than another guy does.....how passive is that other guy?

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:06 pm

Meds, Garrison was a terrible passer and couldn't move the puck to save his life. Dane Fox is a better skater than Garrison, plus he had as much aim with the puck from the point as both Willie Mitchell and Jiri Slegr combined. But the complete void of possessing no mean streak was what irritated me most about him, that and the ridiculous contract Gillis gave him
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:50 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Meds, Garrison was a terrible passer and couldn't move the puck to save his life. Dane Fox is a better skater than Garrison, plus he had as much aim with the puck from the point as both Willie Mitchell and Jiri Slegr combined. But the complete void of possessing no mean streak was what irritated me most about him, that and the ridiculous contract Gillis gave him
Nah. Garrison was a better passer than you give him credit for. He never made any fancy passes, kept it simple, didn't take risks, and he pretty good at relaying from the point with a touch pass. It's not like I'm saying he was the next Paul Coffey.

I agree with all of your other points on him.