GDT: Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 4, 2014 6 PM PST SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 4, 2014 6 PM PST SNET

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:01 am

Hockey Widow wrote: Miller with 9 wins, GAA average but he is on pace to break Marty's record for wins in a season. Hope that doesn't jinx him :oops:
Miller Time is like 9-1 now and has been rock solid. I wonder if he's an early favourite for the Vezina? We have had a Hart Trophy winner, 2 Lester Pearson winners, a Selke winner, a Jennings, a Calder and a couple of Jack Adam winners, but we have never seen one of our guys win a Vezina, and Norris. Hopefully Miller can win his 2nd Vezina as a Canuck. One of our guys can win the Norris in a future date. :P

Speaking of Marty Brodeur, I can't believe no team has taken a chance on him.

Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:04 am

Hockey Widow wrote:No kidding Meds, a very good start indeed. But we had a good season going last year until out Cali trip too. I don't want to get suckered into believing yet. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not a lot to find fault with so far this season. We don't have a top six, top three and a balanced bottom nine. That will catch up to us when scoring goals gets harder, like late in the season and playoffs. Our defence is still a work n progress too. I don't have the confidence in our defence like I have in years past. You know the years, when we had to worry about getting Salo back n the line up due to the cap but that allowed Edler to have back surgery. The days of ritches on the back end.

I am pleasantly surprised with where we are but I am also mindful that we haven't really been tested yet. No quit in this version of the Canucks though!
I am gonna guess that due to our Mr. Miller and our "Four Line" rolling approach; that we should go .500 on the Cali trip. Loving the new fun. Total nice gesture from Coach Willie to give the Opening Face-Off to Bo!!

Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:14 am

Per wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:The more things change the moe they stay the same . Bieksa has been terrible all season long but he gets shovelfuls of ice time . Can't imagine why Kassian isn't improving on his point totals playing with two scrubs who wouldn't make a good team . No pp time but losers like Hansen and Burrows get their share . This idiot won't even juggle a line for fuck sakes . I'm done with this shit for tonight . SOA is on so no need to watch The blind leading the blind .
Oh, ye of fickle faith..... :roll:
LOL...:) I drive a Volvo Car...Love it!

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:11 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Miller with 9 wins, GAA average but he is on pace to break Marty's record for wins in a season. Hope that doesn't jinx him :oops:
Miller Time is like 9-1 now and has been rock solid. I wonder if he's an early favourite for the Vezina? We have had a Hart Trophy winner, 2 Lester Pearson winners, a Selke winner, a Jennings, a Calder and a couple of Jack Adam winners, but we have never seen one of our guys win a Vezina, and Norris. Hopefully Miller can win his 2nd Vezina as a Canuck. One of our guys can win the Norris in a future date. :P

Speaking of Marty Brodeur, I can't believe no team has taken a chance on him.
Although Miller leads in wins his other numbers are just average. I would think for him to get a Vezina nomination he will need to improve all his other numbers. A couple of shut outs will take care of it. A smart off season move by Benning picking him up. At least so far. Now all we need is for Lack to get a win then get on a roll from there.
The only HW the Canucks need

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:56 am

Hockey Widow wrote:No kidding Meds, a very good start indeed. But we had a good season going last year until out Cali trip too. I don't want to get suckered into believing yet. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not a lot to find fault with so far this season. We don't have a top six, top three and a balanced bottom nine. That will catch up to us when scoring goals gets harder, like late in the season and playoffs. Our defence is still a work n progress too. I don't have the confidence in our defence like I have in years past. You know the years, when we had to worry about getting Salo back n the line up due to the cap but that allowed Edler to have back surgery. The days of ritches on the back end.

I am pleasantly surprised with where we are but I am also mindful that we haven't really been tested yet. No quit in this version of the Canucks though!
Careful Wids, the mob will burn you at the stake and unfan you :lol:

Cali here we come!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:39 am

Arachnid wrote:

Careful Wids, the mob will burn you at the stake and unfan you :lol:

Cali here we come!

I'm careful, usually anyway. I did predict that we would make the playoffs so I think I have all possibilities covered.
The only HW the Canucks need

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:47 am

Do you ever sleep wids?.. :shock:
Getting old is not for the young...

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:56 am

I like the team but still not convinced until they hit Januray/Feb, until then I will enjoy the team for what it is.

The defence is the biggest worry, so many poor plays by the top 3 vets.

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:14 am

Reefer2 wrote:I like the team but still not convinced until they hit Januray/Feb, until then I will enjoy the team for what it is.

The defence is the biggest worry, so many poor plays by the top 3 vets.

Not sure what January/February has to do with anything Reef.

Can't you just enjoy it for what it is for the full season?

I mean, regardless of all Docs positive energy we aren't winning any Cups this year.

But the change has been refreshing and clearly the management group is walking in the right direction.

We've got some talented young players to watch develop and it should be fun.

Personally I feel revitalized by the entire operation after spending a couple of years of not really giving a shit.

Win, lose or suck.

Enjoy the ride says I.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:15 am

rats19 wrote:Do you ever sleep wids?.. :shock:

..not when I'm around.

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:22 am

donlever wrote:Enjoy the ride says I.
Exactly, i expect nothing and let the good times roll, finding a balance not to freak out by every mistake a single player does. Hey, they're trying their best and nobody can be at 100% all the time.

Nice redemption, i love to see them beating Colorado every single time again.

Go Canucks Go :towel: Playoffs here we come :baaa: :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

The Brown Wizard
CC Legend

Post by The Brown Wizard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:38 am

donlever wrote: Personally I feel revitalized by the entire operation after spending a couple of years of not really giving a shit.
I find this to sum up my thoughts as well. I can't put my finger on exactly why this has been though.
Is kesler just that big of a dirt bag?
Staleness?
Watching them get bitchslapped every April after almost winning it all?

I missed the game last night but it sounds like it was a good way to get our revenge...spot them 2 then embarrass the fuck out of them in front of their wives and kids
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:57 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:
donlever wrote: Personally I feel revitalized by the entire operation after spending a couple of years of not really giving a shit.
I find this to sum up my thoughts as well. I can't put my finger on exactly why this has been though.
From my perspective a good deal of it is management.

It was a good ride for a time and 2011 was a pile of fun (until the end of course) but GMMG was one arrogant, condescending know it all prick and it finally bit him on his ass.

Linden, Benning, Desjardins et al are a refreshing change and appear (thus far as a caveat) to have a better grasp of running a hockey operation in it's entirety than the ring leader of the previous regime.

A solid judgement in hiring by the Aquilini Group it would appear.

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:13 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:SOA is on so no need to watch The blind leading the blind .
Fuck me that is a horrible show. Reminds me of Days of our Lives and Young and the Restless my mom used to watch when I was a kid. That bitch Gemma dead yet? That's about the only SOA related thing I would tune in for.

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:47 am

What a fun comeback! I recorded the game on my PVR (not VCR) and a buddy of mine kind of blew the comeback just as I was about to start the 3rd with an ecstatic barrage of texts, but it was fun nonetheless.

Canucks just dominated the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Miller was solid. Kept us in the game when a 3rd goal against would have been a total back breaker.

When Bonino hits that top shelf it is a thing of beauty, isn't it? I can't remember the last time we had a guy who could roof the puck like that short side. Kesler who?

Higgins and Bonino just keep on looking good together. Bonino is leading the team in goals now. Who'd-a-thunk-it?

Vrbata certainly has cooled off.

Kassian should probably make an effort to stop getting rocked.

4th line looked good. Happy to see Horvat play and play OK. Had a good shot block, won a few faceoffs and his line generated some good offensive zone time, including the goal (obvs.).

3rd line is still a mish-mash mess. I like Richardson and want to see more of Matthias, but really these should be 4th line guys.

Looking forward to these Cali games. It's too bad the Anaheim game is the 2nd of a back-to-back. I'd love to beat that selfish prick Kesler after Kassian breaks a few of the prick's ribs with a heavy hit.