GDT: Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 4, 2014 6 PM PST SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 4, 2014 6 PM PST SNET

Post by Topper » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:47 am

A few comments;
I applaud the prodigal son treatment of Bo.....I'd take his Mom to the Brown Palace.

About midway through the second I was asking myself that oft repeated question, where is the scoring going to come from?

I've noted before that if Bonino can hit those top corners, life will be good and finding them he is. Something he learned from Corey Perry?

Has to be a demoralizing loss for the Av's. Players only meeting afterwards and I can't imagine the steam pressure inside Roy's head. Having watched the house of cards collapse in Vancouver so many times the last couple of years, it was nice to be on the other side.

Bo looked steady, first shift ok, next couple he was out of position a few times and the line looked confused. I'd chalk that up to rookie first game with limited practice with the team. After that, he was steady and reliable. Vey is still very one dimensional, I really like his release and shot, but Bo's versatility may trump him.

Kassian took some acting lessons after the Ferrance hit, but as with most things Zachian, it needs polish.

Entertainment is back on the ice, where it belongs, at Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment.

You pigs
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:49 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:No kidding Meds, a very good start indeed. But we had a good season going last year until out Cali trip too. I don't want to get suckered into believing yet. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not a lot to find fault with so far this season. We don't have a top six, top three and a balanced bottom nine. That will catch up to us when scoring goals gets harder, like late in the season and playoffs. Our defence is still a work n progress too. I don't have the confidence in our defence like I have in years past. You know the years, when we had to worry about getting Salo back n the line up due to the cap but that allowed Edler to have back surgery. The days of ritches on the back end.

I am pleasantly surprised with where we are but I am also mindful that we haven't really been tested yet. No quit in this version of the Canucks though!
Careful Wids, the mob will burn you at the stake and unfan you :lol:

Cali here we come!

I'm careful, usually anyway. I did predict that we would make the playoffs so I think I have all possibilities covered.
You also said we would go 0 & 6 three games ago :P

Wille has the boys buzzing but are we a playoff contender? Is Cowpuke?

:eh:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:59 am

Topper wrote:A few comments;
I applaud the prodigal son treatment of Bo.....I'd take his Mom to the Brown Palace.

About midway through the second I was asking myself that oft repeated question, where is the scoring going to come from?

I've noted before that if Bonino can hit those top corners, life will be good and finding them he is. Something he learned from Corey Perry?

Has to be a demoralizing loss for the Av's. Players only meeting afterwards and I can't imagine the steam pressure inside Roy's head. Having watched the house of cards collapse in Vancouver so many times the last couple of years, it was nice to be on the other side.

Bo looked steady, first shift ok, next couple he was out of position a few times and the line looked confused. I'd chalk that up to rookie first game with limited practice with the team. After that, he was steady and reliable. Vey is still very one dimensional, I really like his release and shot, but Bo's versatility may trump him.

Kassian took some acting lessons after the Ferrance hit, but as with most things Zachian, it needs polish.

Entertainment is back on the ice, where it belongs, at Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment.

You pigs
Hey! I went there! :look:

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:39 am

donlever wrote: Personally I feel revitalized by the entire operation after spending a couple of years of not really giving a shit.

Win, lose or suck.

Enjoy the ride says I.
This is bang on Donny. I haven't had as much fun watching this team in years. 2010-2012 was a great couple of years, but I found that I was taking it way too seriously, and the expectations just killed the enjoyment. I still get pissed off when we're down and out because the officiating is absolute shite.....and I love to roll my eyes at Edler's gaffs, but this is still fun to watch.

Now it's like watching the Sedins have fun again like they did for those 2 or 3 seasons, we have some younger players that can excite and have a ceiling they haven't reached yet, and some prospects that we are all hoping develop as they project to.

The fact that we're 2nd overall in the standings (and in goals scored :shock: ) is just a pure bonus. The wheels could come off at any time, but this season it's all for the love of the game and the team we cheer for. If we sink to the bottom for any reason, we come out with a chance for a really good draft pick. If we do well and have a nice little playoff run.....well here's to playing hockey in spring time. :D

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:53 am

donlever wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:I like the team but still not convinced until they hit Januray/Feb, until then I will enjoy the team for what it is.

The defence is the biggest worry, so many poor plays by the top 3 vets.

Not sure what January/February has to do with anything Reef.

Can't you just enjoy it for what it is for the full season?

I mean, regardless of all Docs positive energy we aren't winning any Cups this year.

But the change has been refreshing and clearly the management group is walking in the right direction.

We've got some talented young players to watch develop and it should be fun.

Personally I feel revitalized by the entire operation after spending a couple of years of not really giving a shit.

Win, lose or suck.

Enjoy the ride says I.
That's the thing Don, we are enjoying the ride, we just chose not to do it with stupid blind faith in a corporate professional hockey team whose first priority is to make money, not win a Stanley Cup....

Now that's Entertainment! :D

Trust and respect has to be earned and so far, 13 games in the panty creamers are wetting themselves with delusions of grandeur.

As I mentioned in another post. The Phlems are also hot right now. Is this the new regime and the youthful exuberance? Time will tell, which many on here seem to have forgotten to give this team 20-25 games in to better access them against the whole league instead of the also rans (Montreal being pretty much the exception, The Blues was Millers revenge).
After last years debacle who can blame us?! :oops:

Caution and Turtle over the Hare approach is the way to go....let's quack a Duck Queen a King and sink a Shark before we look at the playoffs shall we.

This teams defence is one dropped weight or locker room infidelity from being decimated....

Go Canucks Go!

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:59 am

herb wrote:What a fun comeback! I recorded the game on my PVR (not VCR) and a buddy of mine kind of blew the comeback just as I was about to start the 3rd with an ecstatic barrage of texts, but it was fun nonetheless.

Canucks just dominated the 2nd and 3rd periods.
Twas a blast to be sure. The Avs are an enigma defensively though. As pointed out last night by the panel, they are great at PK'ing, super disciplined and a cohesive, aggressive group. At 5-on-5 they think score goals only and are just a mess in their own zone. Some of that is due to youth I suppose. I felt like this kicking was more than payback for our last meeting.
herb wrote: When Bonino hits that top shelf it is a thing of beauty, isn't it? I can't remember the last time we had a guy who could roof the puck like that short side. Kesler who?
Markus Naslund says hello. :P
Vrbata certainly has cooled off.
This is something that needs to change, and the Sedins need to change it. Vrbata is great at dropping into shooting areas, but the Sedins are to stuck in their cycle, and for some reason Henrik is afraid to try any kind of cross-seam pass on the PP. Vrbata has been a bit off of his game when it comes to shooting though.....he's whiffed on some nice setups for sure.
herb wrote: Kassian should probably make an effort to stop getting rocked.
This is probably a good thing. It might wake him up and get him playing mean.....payback is a bitch, Kas will get his. Regardless, he's had a decent start to the season, and honestly, if Horvat can stick and even take Richardson's spot between Matthias and Kassian, that will be a tough line to physically contain.
herb wrote:4th line looked good. Happy to see Horvat play and play OK. Had a good shot block, won a few faceoffs and his line generated some good offensive zone time, including the goal (obvs.).
What I liked is that he didn't look lost, and he didn't look like he was getting pushed around. If anything I think he was a challenge to battle for some of Colorado's defenders.

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:09 am

Arachnid wrote:
That's the thing Don, we are enjoying the ride, we just chose not to do it with stupid blind faith in a corporate professional hockey team whose first priority is to make money, not win a Stanley Cup....
lol, we hate the Corporate world, bastards one and all.

FFS Spidey, set the revolution aside, it's only hockey for Crissakes.

Arachnid wrote:
Trust and respect has to be earned and so far, 13 games in the panty creamers are wetting themselves with delusions of grandeur.
Who's doing this?
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:24 am

donlever wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
lol, we hate the Corporate world, bastards one and all.

FFS Spidey, set the revolution aside, it's only hockey for Crissakes.

Arachnid wrote:
Who's doing this?
Oh gawd, they got you too :cry:

Damn zombies!

The Olympics is hockey, the NHL is controlled by Buttman and his minions don't cha' know?!

I don't give a crap about any revolution, that's Per, let him and Dock fight the Left and Right of it.
I'm a Green Collar dude. The future is renewable $$$$! 8-)
Business is business. You and I both have our own companies, we make decisions based on bottom lines first and foremost. So do the Aqualungs. Never forget this. They do it for the fans? :roll:

Here's hoping they didn't lie like before and let TL & JB be in charge. Carte Blanche and all that wot?! wot?!

Look above you for the biggest substanceless putz that pollutes the CC Sea (a public servant at that!). :lol:

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:48 am

rats19 wrote:Do you ever sleep wids?.. :shock:

A few hours at a time, several times a day. It's an age thing.
The only HW the Canucks need

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:50 am

donlever wrote:

..not when I'm around.

I have no smart come back. Temporarily speechless!

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:54 am

Horvat went 9 for 13 in faceoffs (69%). Pretty damn fantastic for a rookie in his first game.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Arachnid wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:No kidding Meds, a very good start indeed. But we had a good season going last year until out Cali trip too. I don't want to get suckered into believing yet. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not a lot to find fault with so far this season. We don't have a top six, top three and a balanced bottom nine. That will catch up to us when scoring goals gets harder, like late in the season and playoffs. Our defence is still a work n progress too. I don't have the confidence in our defence like I have in years past. You know the years, when we had to worry about getting Salo back n the line up due to the cap but that allowed Edler to have back surgery. The days of ritches on the back end.

I am pleasantly surprised with where we are but I am also mindful that we haven't really been tested yet. No quit in this version of the Canucks though!
Careful Wids, the mob will burn you at the stake and unfan you :lol:

Cali here we come!

I'm careful, usually anyway. I did predict that we would make the playoffs so I think I have all possibilities covered.
You also said we would go 0 & 6 three games ago :P

Wille has the boys buzzing but are we a playoff contender? Is Cowpuke?

:eh:

To be fair to me Spidy, I said we COULD go 0-6, not we WOULD.

If Calagary keeps playing the way they are and if Hiller keeps playing the way he is, yes, Calgary could make the playoffs. Just like if the Canuks keep playing the way they and if Miller keeps playing the way he is the yes, we could make the playoffs.

I've got it covered no matter what happens.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:12 pm

Nice new energy as well with our new beloved rookie on our team finally, been what 4 long years? since we brought in a top tier young gun (hodgson)
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:21 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:

A few hours at a time, several times a day. It's an age thing.
Between pee breaks.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
donlever wrote:

..not when I'm around.

I have no smart come back. Temporarily speechless!
Oops, missed a pee break.