GDT: 1/11/2014 Canucks @ Oilers - 7:00PM - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: GDT: 1/11/2014 Canucks @ Oilers - 7:00PM - CBC

Post by Topper » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:19 am

A few comments;
Defensive struggles against a fast forecheck continue. Own zone turnovers were a killer for most of the game.

The Oilers are using their forecheck very effectively to cover for their weak defence but their defenders did a very effective job double teaming the Vancouver top line.

Great overhead shot of Hall's goalpost. He hit around the knee (slightly above I recall) while flat on his back. The knee extended laterally. Ouch. Poor Oilers. recall the days of the anchored nets, forwards would dare cut to the net as Hall did and in the unlikely event they did, most goalies would stand their ground and save the opponent from the post. Miller's bail on Hall had me chuckling.

Having seen them three times this season, the Oiler forward corps are starting to get it. Fewer baby faced mistakes and really using their speed to work together. They still have a ways to go, but it is coming. Now they need defence and goaltending. Nurse should help down the road.

Scrivens to Dorsett is a scoring line I enjoy.

I'd be remiss not commenting on the 13th forward. S l o w.
-Slow getting to the offensive zone, slow getting to the defensive zone and slow making his later than a cookie monster hits.
-Regular fourth line shifts through the first two periods but only one shift (42 seconds) in the third while his line mates played near 4 minutes even strength.

After 11 games some of Willie Desjardins and the rest of the coaches style is becoming clear.

1 Roll four lines with the fourth playing 3-4 four minutes a period and used against all of the opponents lines.. This will matter when deciding if Horvat stays or is London bound. Clearly Sestito isn't ready to be used against top opposition. Having a smart right handed wing with the Sedins has been a huge boost.

2 Faceoffs are managed but only loosely. Henrik (51%) is best and often out for key draws. Unfortunately only Richardson at 50% is the only other centre close to a plus. The biggest hole from the Kesler demanded trade is the loss of a reliable right handed centre. Henrik, Bonino and Richardson are all lefties and righty Vey isn't close to being there yet. Note: Bo is also a lefty.

3 Keep it simple - Straight up, north south hockey while overloading the side of the ice where the puck is in both the offensive and defensive zones.
-Clear the defensive zone, it doesn't matter if you make a play to a team mate, getting the puck across the blueline is #1. If time and space allow, go for a play.
- Offensive zone entries are more likely to be carried in or chip and chase to the half wall, deep dump ins are for line changes.
-Rotate wingers to cover for pinching defenders, weak side winger is first forward back (Torts had the centre over worked on this).
-Defensively, stand your ground at the blueline. This is the root of the problems against the strong forecheck of fast teams. opponents are chipping the puck past the Vancouver defence and and using their speed while the defender turns to gain advantage.

4 Use the lineups strengths - Top line is made up of the three most talented forwards (Note: the keep it simple comments are waived for this line to use their creativity). Second line are all tweeners, third line is strength/muscle and fourth is tenacious with a bit of borderline tweener skill. There is no attempt to distribute skilled guys through the top two lines, there is no effort to add muscle to a line for protection.
It is the same for the defence, Hamhuis/Bieksa are the top pairing and probably the best skaters and puck movers; Edler/Tanev next up on the depth chart with Stanton/Webber/Sbisa the obvious bottom pairing.
So much for Edler being the defender to build around, he's plateaued. Solid defender, boomer shot and sometime punishing hitter. Unfortunately he's also renowned for hearing footsteps, cowering and coughing it up.

5 Special Teams - Powerplay again for the most part keeps it simple by using the set top two lines. The 1st unit is the top line with the wrinkle of overloading it with a quick wristing forward in place of a 2nd defender. They play a 3-1-1 while sliding in and out of a 2-2-1 format. While the twins cycle, Verbata moves from behind the net to back door to mid circle and Vey move from low slot to high slot to top circle. Having two right handed shots, both with very quick releases really helps Henrik and Daniels breakout from the cycle.
The 2nd unit plays a traditional style of moving the puck to set up defenders two on one or three on two.
- Penalty Kill is an embarrassment of riches. Vey and Kassian are the only two regulars that are a liability. Again simple, box the opponent to the outside, head up and on a swivel watching for opponents on the move, busy sticks in the passing lane and bodies blocking shots.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:08 am

Watch the bloggers copy tops.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:47 am

A few comments I missed;
Ferrence should have a date in NY. I'm giving Quintel and Co. a clean slate from Shanny the media whore. What is surprising is the disconnect between what is called on the ice and what is called in NY/TO. I am glad there is the ability to over rule a missed call, five wrongs don't make a right, but the stripes on ice need to step up their game.

Consummate team mate Kevin "going down with the ship" Bieksa won't be baited into publicly calling a turd a turd if that turd wears blue and green.

Was that snow falling inside the Crack Shack during the post game comments of the play by play crew or do they need an exterminator in Edmonton?

Commenting on homer play by play is Calpckian whine.

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hank » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:34 am

Nice observations, Tops.

I'll be interested in how the new DPS responds too... in light of the timing of this hit immediately after the Bitter's suspension. Wonder if the HNIC gang's commentary will have any effects in the outcome...

Not sure how people can call former Sports Pager Dave Randorf a Oilers homer though.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:10 pm

Volchenkov just got 4 for this if it is any indication of what is to come.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Ferrence has a meeting Monday. Don't know if it's in person or via phone.
The only HW the Canucks need

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:50 pm

Topper wrote:Volchenkov just got 4 for this if it is any indication of what is to come.
I see Ference's hit on Kassian as being worse.

Ferlund saw Volchenkov coming and turned away from the hit. He was vulnerable and Volchenkov still tried to make significant contact. The impact looks to be more at the base of the neck where the trapezius spreads towards the shoulder. Watching Ferlund's reaction with the trainer the way he rotates his head seemed like he definitely felt that in the neck.

I think the reason Volchenkov got 4 games here is because Ferlund had "given up" on the play and seemed content to just poke the loose puck into Nashville's zone and avoid the contact. Volchenkov never even tried for the puck.

Ference elevated and, as everybody on the panel other than Kypreos pointed out, there was no driving into the chest with incidental contact to the head, it was pure shoulder to head reminded me of Scott Stevens' signature move of dropping behind a defending teammate where the puck carrier can't see him coming.