GDT: 30/10/14 Canucks vs Habs - 7:00PM (SN360)

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: 30/10/14 Canucks vs Habs - 7:00PM (SN360)

Post by donlever »

Topper wrote: Miller's quiet movements continue to impress an make we wonder why we defended the previous prima donna. I guess because he was our prima donna.
Nice synposis.

Miller > Luongo.

Roberto wishes he had Ryans technical game and puck handling ability.
DeLevering since 1999.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I like Miller's mind-set. When he's interviewed post-game he discusses tactical and technical details about individual plays and players. He seems mentally and physically very well-prepared to play.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:A few comments;
One of the best defensive efforts of this young season until the collective navel gazing on the tieing goal. Heads up, sound positioning and busy sticks had kept the Habs to the outside up until that point when my ears rang with Howie Meeker screaming about looking on the ground and picking up nickels.

While defensively they were able to clear the zone, for but a brief time in the second period, they were unable to move through the neutral zone. Price is far to good a puck handler to play dump and chase. As an aside, I have heard a few rumbles in the media about removing the trapezoid and I can only recall why it was brought into the game. Careful what you wish for.

Did Daniel tell PK he looked like a Halloween pumpkin when he smiles, because something sure set him off. I am glad to see our +6' footers at least try to stand up for themselves. I don't expect them to get carried away with scrums, but they have long needed to offer some resistance and push back to a face wash.

A very slick OT winner. Had Daniel been fresher would he have attempted a drop pass to Henrik instead of the deak and shot for the goal?

2nd and 3rd line still lack cohesion and are playing as individuals. Beginning to remind me of the Jan experiments.

Miller's quiet movements continue to impress an make we wonder why we defended the previous prima donna. I guess because he was our prima donna.
Maybe he said his brother is 'bigger' than him :eh:

And our previous PD beat him fair & square in the same arena...

Let's check in on them shall we?

Luo .926 2.33 1

Young Ryan .917 2.27 1

Janunary 8th an 18th will be the head-to-head rematch for the boys. Should be a dozzie (Strombie1 will be very active :D ).
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Pining for Loooo Spidey?

Wtf is a dozzie n e way?

Sounds like one of your Wicken Vegan gash!
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A dozzie is a yellow moth with black markings that hatches from a cocoon in a burrow. The larvae form of the moth is renowned for its earth moving abilities.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Just listened to Pierre Mc on the radio and he said the Nucks will be the most improved team this year. Man it is nice to hear something positive about our team from eastern media.

It does make sense that we will not be as bad as some have forecast. I am not saying we are going to win the Cup this year, but the next couple of years look good while the vets still have gas in them and the young guys get used to the NHL. I am pumped about our youth and just hope management gives them a shot.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think Dank told PK he didn't deserve his medal and he wasn't good enough to play for Team Canada. Told him he, Dank, was a true Olympian and PK was still a wanna be.Well that's my story anyway. I doubt Dank will admit it though. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As for the Burrows hit, at the time I thought we were pretty lucky the play wasn't whistled dead. It reminds me though of the Moore hit on Naslund a little bit. Player falling forward a bit as the hit comes. I do think on the Burrows play there was embellishment, trying to avoid the embarrassment of such a blatant give away. The Burrows hit did not affect the play but at the time I thought it should have been called, if not an elbow a late hit. I don't know if it is suspension worthy. It looks more like the forearm got him as he was falling. As a late hit I don't think it warrants a suspension.

Dreger is all over this saying he sees no way for Burrows to avoid a suspension. The Canuck hate is still strong in some circles. If he gets a suspension I can't see more than 1-2 games but overall, I think a warning is all it warrants.
The only HW the Canucks need
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

dbr wrote:Oh, come on. You're better than this.

The Ballard trade was a bomb (and holding onto him was even worse) but don't conflate that with the sensible decision to let dark room Willie walk. Nevermind the hypothetical abyss this heads into.. what if they re-signed Mitchell, then traded for Ballard and didn't sign Hamhuis? What if they acquired all three and dumped Salo? What if Mitchell got even more banged up playing for the Canucks than he did for the Kings that year (25 games missed)? Etc. etc. etc.

Alright, you guys win, should really let it go (and good points on the what-ifs btw). Didn't mean to hijack a GDT to piss a little more on MG's grave....bah, it's fun!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:A dozzie is a yellow moth with black markings that hatches from a cocoon in a burrow. The larvae form of the moth is renowned for its earth moving abilities.
Fack, you guys are showing your old age...http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=doozie

You sure you don't got Leafitus :P
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:Didn't mean to hijack a GDT to piss a little more on MG's grave....bah, it's fun!
Just don't hit the bouquet I leave there once a week. :(
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Hockey Widow wrote:As for the Burrows hit, at the time I thought we were pretty lucky the play wasn't whistled dead. It reminds me though of the Moore hit on Naslund a little bit. Player falling forward a bit as the hit comes.

Those were my thoughts exactly. Very reminiscent of Moore/Naslund. Moore didn't get a penalty or suspension. Burr didn't get a penalty either and we benefitted from the refs not calling something or at least blowing the play dead..but I do expect something to come out of this, maybe 1 game? Not sure if Emelin's health will be a factor. Naslund left game, spent night in hospital and missed the next 3 and that didn't seem to be much of a factor. Not completely parallel incidences but similarities are enough for me to compare.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:As for the Burrows hit, at the time I thought we were pretty lucky the play wasn't whistled dead. It reminds me though of the Moore hit on Naslund a little bit. Player falling forward a bit as the hit comes.

Those were my thoughts exactly. Very reminiscent of Moore/Naslund. Moore didn't get a penalty or suspension. Burr didn't get a penalty either and we benefitted from the refs not calling something or at least blowing the play dead..but I do expect something to come out of this, maybe 1 game? Not sure if Emelin's health will be a factor. Naslund left game, spent night in hospital and missed the next 3 and that didn't seem to be much of a factor. Not completely parallel incidences but similarities are enough for me to compare.
Is PK going try to break Dank? :o
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Nah, Emelin's not exactly their bread n butter.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:Very reminiscent of Moore/Naslund. Moore didn't get a penalty or suspension. Burr didn't get a penalty either and we benefitted from the refs not calling something or at least blowing the play dead..but I do expect something to come out of this, maybe 1 game? Not sure if Emelin's health will be a factor. Naslund left game, spent night in hospital and missed the next 3 and that didn't seem to be much of a factor. Not completely parallel incidences but similarities are enough for me to compare.
I don't see it like this. Emelin saw exactly where that pass was going and knew he coughed it up big time. He was off balance because he knew he needed to get back into his zone fast, then Burrows clipped him. If Emelin continues to skate forward it's shoulder to shoulder. Emelin's ego was embarrassed more than anything, he was hoping for a penalty or a whistle to save his ass.

Pretty sure sure he asked the trainer "so they aren't waiving off the goal are they? Fuck, now my head really hurts!"

:P

Naslund was clipped with an elbow when he was leaning to grab the puck, Moore didn't try to play the puck.

What exactly is a late hit anyways? How many milliseconds?? If you time it I'll bet it's less than a second from when Emelin lets go of the puck and Burrows hits him. And Emelin tries to stop and turn back towards Burrows to recover from his shitty giveaway!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A clip by clip, frame by frame, shows first contact was the shoulder arm area. Burrows followed through he lifted his arm/elbow and then head contact was made. First point of contact though was not the head. I think the elbow/headshot thing is inconclusive at best but I do think it was a late hit. But it was a late hit that did not result in an injury and to me a suspension is not warranted. Perhaps a warning or fine to at least have him nailed as a repeat offender for next time.

Similar to the Naslund hit only in a player off balance who lowered his head, accidentally, at the same time the hit came. The logic then was that it was a clean hit and Naslund's body position only made it a head shot, or some such nonsense. In Today's NHL I think Moore gets 3-5 games for that same play.

Honestly, I don't think it warrants a suspension but I can see 1-2 games.
The only HW the Canucks need