GDT: 26/10/14 - Capitals @ Canucks - 6:30pm - SNV

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: GDT: 26/10/14 - Capitals @ Canucks - 6:30pm - SNV

Post by Hockey Widow »

Boy does Sbisa ever look like Bieksa out there. I swear sometimes I think it is Kevin only to see the number.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Man another EN.we could have used some of those last year.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I wanna see Miller score!

Sbisa with the gwg.

A very good game for these Canucks. Back n the wagon. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Best part about this win is no bed wetters tonight!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

TDA Rum wrote:Best part about this win is no bed wetters tonight!
Hardly anyone here tonight... :?

But then, that's comforting. I wake up in the morning and see there's only two pages on the game day thread, and I know for sure that the Canucks have won! 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Ovi in town. Woot! going to the game today. :D
Apparently the dude and THINKER will be there as well after they grab some rock and lucky lager . Rumour has it they will sit with Potatoe and GM who will be eating blueberries out of each other's asscracks .
C'mon Jaeger Bombs McKenzie, we all know that your go- to Beerz are Lucky Lager and Hells Gate
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ovi is one of my favourite players to watch when he is on his game. I hope he has an off night.
Yeah, he's one of my faves as well. He definitely had an off nite, didn't notice him much out there. Most of the Caps were on the same boat. Guess they didn't have much in the tank with the back-to-back games.

Bonino has a sweet shot boy.
Yeah, Bonino scored on a similar play the other day too, coming down on a 2-1, keeping, shooting and scoring.

Overall, game was kind of so-so, but we'll take the win. :D
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

TDA Rum wrote:Best part about this win is no bed wetters tonight!
Nope, just a buncha Laugh fans 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

The best part of these wins is how much better we will be next year when some of these kids come on board full time. I am pumped about our prospect pool and it is also nice to see only two goals given up.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;
What became of the fast paced aggressive puck moving Capitals? Drake Berehowsky, Shane O'Brien, Pete Peters? Back to back west coast past their bedtime games? Their gallop has been slowed to a Trotz.

No fast aggressive forecheck against Canuck defenders equals a Vancouver win.

Miller makes the 1-3 good saves that matter the most.

Was Verbata's EN shot moving fast enough to be called icing if it had been wide or would it have been waived off because the puck was moving so slow?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:
Was Verbata's EN shot moving fast enough to be called icing if it had been wide or would it have been waived off because the puck was moving so slow?

LOL. It was a little painful watching that. Just as funny was his apologetic look after it went in. Sorta like " fu** me, sorry guys, almost blew it" kinda look. It's just nice to see after the painful way we lost so many games or gave up loser points because we could not hold leads and get that EN to seal the deal.

I really do think Sbisa is a Bieksa clone. The coach plays him enough, like all of Casual Kev's coaches before him played Bieksa in his early days. They must see something in Sbisa to have him out there on the PK so much and in the last minute of games. I guess if he has the career Bieksa has had, who I wanted traded at all cost for most of his tenure here, up until the last year or so that is, then Sbisa will be a good pick up for us. One can hope.

I thought we played a very solid game all round. Some typical warts but overall a solid game and a solid win.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote: I really do think Sbisa is a Bieksa clone. The coach plays him enough, like all of Casual Kev's coaches before him played Bieksa in his early days. They must see something in Sbisa to have him out there on the PK so much and in the last minute of games. I guess if he has the career Bieksa has had, who I wanted traded at all cost for most of his tenure here, up until the last year or so that is, then Sbisa will be a good pick up for us. One can hope.
The Canucks currently have two players with high IQ, Hamhuis and Tanev. Stanton is ok in that regard. With Hamhuis pairing with Bieksa and Tanev pairing with Edler, the first two pairings are fine (one high and one low). However, when Stanton is out with injury, Sbisa has just looked lost out there with Weber. Hopefully, Stanton won't be out for too long.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

only saw the last 10 minutes but saw a lot of jump.

Saw Miller make some big saves.

How can this team go up and down like a yo-yo so much?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Reefer2 wrote: How can this team go up and down like a yo-yo so much?
It's hard to underestimate the home-vs-road factor.

Just one example: Faceoffs

At home:
Sedin 59.7%
Bonino 45.4%
Richardson 58.6%
Vey 35.1%
Matthias 53.3%

On Road:
Sedin 44.6%
Bonino 44%
Richardson 45.6%
Vey 39.5%
Matthias 33.3%
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Took in the game from the seats. Was a gooder. Had the added pleasure of introducing my son to hockey first hand.....11 months old and at his first game, and of course he made the jumbotron in the 3rd period. Great little fan in the making. :)

Our 4th line was our best line for the first 25 or so minutes. They generated multiple chances and were in on the forecheck and after dump-in quickly and aggressively. They definitely were the energy that kept our engine purring.

Our second line was dangers on multiple shifts. Too many "oh so close" moments though, need more finish from Burrows and Higgins there. But they did get on the board. Bonino's corner picking has me forgetting Kesler's breakaway and shootout attempts.

Maybe coach #4 can teach Henrik how to take a shot. Several opportunities blown because he passed up a look for a low percentage pass, none more obvious than the 2-on-1 in the 2nd period.

Washington looked like a team that played the night before. They came alive briefly in the 2nd period and again for several shifts in the 3rd period.

Possession was the name of the game tonight, whichever team had the puck controlled things. Good example of a pair of clubs that still need to figure out their defensive games.

First home stand of the year, off to a 1-0 start with a very beatable Hurricane team coming up tomorrow. Carolina has been here practicing and resting up since Friday or Saturday. Getting a 2-0 head start on this week's games before the league leading Habs get here would be a nice boost.