GDT: Canucks @Calgary, Sept 25, 6:00pm SN360

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @Calgary, Sept 25, 6:00pm SN360

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:The one player that seemed lost to me was Hansen.

I agree on Sestito. I've never really been a fan of his. But he maybe the only really tough guy we bring. Dorsett can be counted on to a degree but big Tom may be the only one we have to step up to protect some of the kids. I won't lose any sleep if he is waived but if the team plays small we will all be asking for more toughness. I guess it depends if Benning sees Dorsett being our version of Thornton.
I can see Sestito being the press-box forward for when we go into places like Calgary looking for a punch-up. I'm okay with that, because it doesn't take a spot away from Shinkaruk/Horvat/Jensen etc. If those kids aren't good enough to take a regluar shift, they should be back in Jr or the minors getting tons of TOI. Dorsett can be our every-game agitator/deterrent.

I can definitely see Vey/Sestito alternating spots in that extra forward hole, depending on the opposition. Guys like Richardson, Matthias and Hansen should probably be worried about the strong play of the youngsters. Hansen, with his $2.5M cap hit and limited offensive capability, should be very worried if management decides Horvat has the defensive/physical chops to play NHL minutes in a bottom-6 role this year.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:The one player that seemed lost to me was Hansen.

I agree on Sestito. I've never really been a fan of his. But he maybe the only really tough guy we bring. Dorsett can be counted on to a degree but big Tom may be the only one we have to step up to protect some of the kids. I won't lose any sleep if he is waived but if the team plays small we will all be asking for more toughness. I guess it depends if Benning sees Dorsett being our version of Thornton.
Yeah, folks talk a lot about whether/how-much Sedins/Burrows/Edler might bounce back.

But what about Hansen.

Oh well, if he doesn't seem to be doing just that, I'm sure the Jets would take him off our hands for a pick.

He better pick it up soon or one of these kids might bounce him right outta civilization!

Yeah, same goes for Sestito.

I've said a few times that if the Canucks are serious about "rolling 4 lines" Sestito is probably gone.

Gotta have 13 forwards who can play 10+ minutes per night if you truly wanna do dat dere.
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Sestito would land in Utica unscathed. If they need to call upon him due to injuries, they can.

At this stage, Horvat has shown much more to stick around for a month, than has big Tom.

Plus, the brass has already alluded to an indifference to fighting.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

BladesofSteel wrote:Sestito would land in Utica unscathed. If they need to call upon him due to injuries, they can.
lol no kidding he would clear. Sestito probably wouldn't even be the first call up.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tommernes looks good. Who is he?
24-yo solid allround D-man. Hails from Karlstad, started out playing for Färjestad but has spent more time with Frölunda, which is one of the better SHL teams atpresent. Put up some decent offensive numbers as a junior, but is also good at actually playing defense. Has not played for Sweden in any major tournament, but has played lots of friendlies for the national team, so I guess you can say borderline national team player. I'm a bit surprised at his poor +/- in Utica. I think he's the real deal, but he hasn't quite reached his potential yet.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10018
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Per wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Tommernes looks good. Who is he?
24-yo solid allround D-man. Hails from Karlstad, started out playing for Färjestad but has spent more time with Frölunda, which is one of the better SHL teams atpresent. Put up some decent offensive numbers as a junior, but is also good at actually playing defense. Has not played for Sweden in any major tournament, but has played lots of friendlies for the national team, so I guess you can say borderline national team player. I'm a bit surprised at his poor +/- in Utica. I think he's the real deal, but he hasn't quite reached his potential yet.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10018

Thanks Per. I was impressed with what I saw. I think if he spends more time learning the NHL game he has some promising potential. He plays tough and has a good outlet pass. Needs to work on consistency but, like what I saw.
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Some SHL highlights featuring Tömmernes:

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Per wrote:Some SHL highlights featuring Tömmernes:

Let's hope he gets more of an offensive role in Utica.
The only HW the Canucks need