Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

Postby rats19 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Phoenix announcers really didn't want to give Vancouver a garbage point. They wanted to win in regulation.

In my book you don't give a garbage point to a team that is ahead of you in the standings..god I hate other teams feed.

Way to go Kev..
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

Postby Cornuck » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Holy shit! 5 goals AND an OT win????
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4794
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Chester, NE

Re: Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

Postby Hockey Widow » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:43 pm

Boy did we need that. Stinks we blew two, two goal leads and let Phoenix get a point but great we climb within one of La with a chance against Edmonton to get ahead of them.

A bad time for Luongo to have a stinker he has been so solid all season and he picked a bad night to go soft.

I guess tomorrow we will see the return of JS and all our problems will be solved! :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3547
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

Postby mathonwy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:45 pm

Nice goal by B.

Nice game by Higgins.

We won one that should have been won in regulation.

Next.
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

Postby Lancer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:00 pm

Guys who are hacking on Burrows can point to the stats, but what I noticed is a guy who is having trouble finding the puck in his feet and handling it close-in. At risk of offering excuses for him, that bowl around his chin must be driving him bonkers in terms of seeing the puck in-close.

So many times Luongo looked super-solid and then there were those flubs that just kills momentum. By comparison, Smith looked flat-out horrible.

Bieksa's OT winner was a bit of cosmic justice. This was a game the Canucks should have won by virtue of how they played, even though it sucks they ceded the dogs a point.

The PP is still a joke, but at least they looked somewhat dangerous on the 4-on-3.

There are good things for the guys to take from this victory going into tomorrow night.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1354
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

Postby SKYO » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:58 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Boy did we need that. Stinks we blew two, two goal leads and let Phoenix get a point but great we climb within one of La with a chance against Edmonton to get ahead of them.

A bad time for Luongo to have a stinker he has been so solid all season and he picked a bad night to go soft.

I guess tomorrow we will see the return of JS and all our problems will be solved! :mrgreen:


Well to be fair, Lu kept the team in it early, otherwise we'd be smoked 7-4 or something in this barn burner.

And not to mention those two goals the team scored on itself!
Last edited by SKYO on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3220
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:16 pm

SKYO wrote:Zac Dalpe taking over this game, never thought I'd hear that this season.


Yeah, nice to see Dalpe come out with a big game like that. He has played pretty well with the extra minutes ever since Magic Mike and Hank were out. It's always nice to have some homegrown BC kids in the lineup, but if we can't sign Magic Mike in the offseason, Dalpe might be able to take over that role next season. A utility guy who can move up and down the lineup and provide some secondary scoring.

Nice to see Hammer stand up to Hanzel after what he did with his stick last game to 3 of our guys (Hank, Magic Mike and Boothy). What a pussy! He's like 6'5 and he won't go with our Mr. Nice guy Hammer. :lol:

Nice touch pass by Kassassian on the Dalpe goal, he just moved the puck nicely and opened up alot of ice. He did it right on the line and didn't get it offside, made it easy for Garrison to jump into the opening. I'm starting to think Kass might be our 3rd best passer after the twins. He's pretty good at using his big frame to protect the puck and he has his head up alot of the time looking for the open guy. How about a potential Zac line? Double Z (Dalpe and Kassassian). :lol:

(around 0:40 mark)



I'm liking the Haida hat that the guys wear to speak with the media after the game. The star player for us after a game. It's respectful to the native group the guys visited during training camp (Haida nation?) and a fun team bonding thing me things. :P

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

Postby herb » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:16 am

Lancer wrote:Guys who are hacking on Burrows can point to the stats, but what I noticed is a guy who is having trouble finding the puck in his feet and handling it close-in. At risk of offering excuses for him, that bowl around his chin must be driving him bonkers in terms of seeing the puck in-close.


I dunno Lance, the guy has been trending down for a couple of years now and wasn't good earlier on this season before his jaw got broken.

My biggest problem with Burrows is that he is a very similar player to Higgins and Hansen yet is paid twice as much. In this cap environment, that’s a tough contract.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

Postby Meds » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:36 am

herb wrote:
Lancer wrote:Guys who are hacking on Burrows can point to the stats, but what I noticed is a guy who is having trouble finding the puck in his feet and handling it close-in. At risk of offering excuses for him, that bowl around his chin must be driving him bonkers in terms of seeing the puck in-close.


I dunno Lance, the guy has been trending down for a couple of years now and wasn't good earlier on this season before his jaw got broken.

My biggest problem with Burrows is that he is a very similar player to Higgins and Hansen yet is paid twice as much. In this cap environment, that’s a tough contract.


It definitely is a tough contract when you look at his production. I think what he brings away from the goal scoring department is worth maybe 33% of his price tag, maybe a bit more, but no question, at that pay grade you need to see results. I also don't accept the excuse of the full shield getting in his way. At this level that can be a slight hindrance, but not to the extent that some are attributing to Bur's current struggles.

That being said, Daniel Sedin is about to be making $7M a year to play at a 20 goal pace, nobody is really making a whole bunch of noise about that.....at least none of the Burrows haters anyways. Daniel has played every game this year, he's had time to find a rhythm and get in a groove. He simply hasn't done it. But still, Dank continues to miss glorious chances, passes up others in favor of dishing to brother Henrik, and plays most of his game in the corner where he isn't even remotely a threat to put the puck in the net. At least Burrows takes the puck to the net when he has the chance, at least Burrows isn't the one late to the party when there is a scrum in front of the opponent's net for a rebound.

Daniel has one of the most accurate shots in the league, it's not really a hard shot, and his release isn't exactly awe-inspiring, but he needs to start picking the corners. Henrik looks more like he is actually shooting to score goals than Daniel. Every time I see Daniel pull the trigger from a scoring area it looks more like he is just trying to shoot for a rebound than to actually beat the goaltender. Burrows, for his part, is letting shots go that are missing the net.....because he is trying to beat the goaltender up high or to the side.

Our entire former first line is struggling this year, along with some of the supporting cast. I write this off to both a slump and a decline in their level of play that comes with age and a change in the game itself league-wide.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

Postby herb » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 am

Meds wrote:It definitely is a tough contract when you look at his production. I think what he brings away from the goal scoring department is worth maybe 33% of his price tag, maybe a bit more, but no question, at that pay grade you need to see results. I also don't accept the excuse of the full shield getting in his way. At this level that can be a slight hindrance, but not to the extent that some are attributing to Bur's current struggles.

That being said, Daniel Sedin is about to be making $7M a year to play at a 20 goal pace, nobody is really making a whole bunch of noise about that.....at least none of the Burrows haters anyways. Daniel has played every game this year, he's had time to find a rhythm and get in a groove. He simply hasn't done it. But still, Dank continues to miss glorious chances, passes up others in favor of dishing to brother Henrik, and plays most of his game in the corner where he isn't even remotely a threat to put the puck in the net. At least Burrows takes the puck to the net when he has the chance, at least Burrows isn't the one late to the party when there is a scrum in front of the opponent's net for a rebound.

Daniel has one of the most accurate shots in the league, it's not really a hard shot, and his release isn't exactly awe-inspiring, but he needs to start picking the corners. Henrik looks more like he is actually shooting to score goals than Daniel. Every time I see Daniel pull the trigger from a scoring area it looks more like he is just trying to shoot for a rebound than to actually beat the goaltender. Burrows, for his part, is letting shots go that are missing the net.....because he is trying to beat the goaltender up high or to the side.

Our entire former first line is struggling this year, along with some of the supporting cast. I write this off to both a slump and a decline in their level of play that comes with age and a change in the game itself league-wide.


Both Daniel and Burrows seem to be heading in the wrong direction in a hurry to be sure. Daniel isn’t getting quality chances game in and game out like he has in the past. I’m sure some of that is because they are trying to play Torts’ system, but I’m sure some of that is regression as well.

I can swallow Daniel’s contract because he has still been a productive player offensively and it means we are able to keep Henrik around for a few more years while we try to find/develop the next wave of offensive talent. 5 on 5 Daniel has been fine as well, and his biggest drop off in production has been on the PP which just highlights further why the PP needs to get going.

Maybe Burrows and the Sedins can get it going again. I would certainly like them to. My concern is that we’re clinging onto the past a bit too tightly like we did with the WCE all those years ago. Burrows’ contract is a wasted $2M if he’s not scoring goals with the Sedins IMO.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

Postby Topper » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:03 pm

I was vilified for wanting Burrows traded before he signed his current deal.

Once again I was right.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Topper wrote:I was vilified for wanting Burrows traded before he signed his current deal.

Once again I was right.

Oh no he will get it together he just isn't getting any bounces right now but he brings all the intangibles so it shouldn't matter if he gets ten points a year with 20 minutes a night icetime
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3013
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Previous

Return to Game Day Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest