Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Glendale, AZ @ Vancouver - 5PM - SPac

Post by Cornuck »

Holy shit! 5 goals AND an OT win????
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Boy did we need that. Stinks we blew two, two goal leads and let Phoenix get a point but great we climb within one of La with a chance against Edmonton to get ahead of them.

A bad time for Luongo to have a stinker he has been so solid all season and he picked a bad night to go soft.

I guess tomorrow we will see the return of JS and all our problems will be solved! :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Nice goal by B.

Nice game by Higgins.

We won one that should have been won in regulation.

Next.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Guys who are hacking on Burrows can point to the stats, but what I noticed is a guy who is having trouble finding the puck in his feet and handling it close-in. At risk of offering excuses for him, that bowl around his chin must be driving him bonkers in terms of seeing the puck in-close.

So many times Luongo looked super-solid and then there were those flubs that just kills momentum. By comparison, Smith looked flat-out horrible.

Bieksa's OT winner was a bit of cosmic justice. This was a game the Canucks should have won by virtue of how they played, even though it sucks they ceded the dogs a point.

The PP is still a joke, but at least they looked somewhat dangerous on the 4-on-3.

There are good things for the guys to take from this victory going into tomorrow night.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Boy did we need that. Stinks we blew two, two goal leads and let Phoenix get a point but great we climb within one of La with a chance against Edmonton to get ahead of them.

A bad time for Luongo to have a stinker he has been so solid all season and he picked a bad night to go soft.

I guess tomorrow we will see the return of JS and all our problems will be solved! :mrgreen:
Well to be fair, Lu kept the team in it early, otherwise we'd be smoked 7-4 or something in this barn burner.

And not to mention those two goals the team scored on itself!
Last edited by SKYO on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:Zac Dalpe taking over this game, never thought I'd hear that this season.
Yeah, nice to see Dalpe come out with a big game like that. He has played pretty well with the extra minutes ever since Magic Mike and Hank were out. It's always nice to have some homegrown BC kids in the lineup, but if we can't sign Magic Mike in the offseason, Dalpe might be able to take over that role next season. A utility guy who can move up and down the lineup and provide some secondary scoring.

Nice to see Hammer stand up to Hanzel after what he did with his stick last game to 3 of our guys (Hank, Magic Mike and Boothy). What a pussy! He's like 6'5 and he won't go with our Mr. Nice guy Hammer. :lol:

Nice touch pass by Kassassian on the Dalpe goal, he just moved the puck nicely and opened up alot of ice. He did it right on the line and didn't get it offside, made it easy for Garrison to jump into the opening. I'm starting to think Kass might be our 3rd best passer after the twins. He's pretty good at using his big frame to protect the puck and he has his head up alot of the time looking for the open guy. How about a potential Zac line? Double Z (Dalpe and Kassassian). :lol:

(around 0:40 mark)

I'm liking the Haida hat that the guys wear to speak with the media after the game. The star player for us after a game. It's respectful to the native group the guys visited during training camp (Haida nation?) and a fun team bonding thing me things. :P

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Lancer wrote:Guys who are hacking on Burrows can point to the stats, but what I noticed is a guy who is having trouble finding the puck in his feet and handling it close-in. At risk of offering excuses for him, that bowl around his chin must be driving him bonkers in terms of seeing the puck in-close.
I dunno Lance, the guy has been trending down for a couple of years now and wasn't good earlier on this season before his jaw got broken.

My biggest problem with Burrows is that he is a very similar player to Higgins and Hansen yet is paid twice as much. In this cap environment, that’s a tough contract.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:
Lancer wrote:Guys who are hacking on Burrows can point to the stats, but what I noticed is a guy who is having trouble finding the puck in his feet and handling it close-in. At risk of offering excuses for him, that bowl around his chin must be driving him bonkers in terms of seeing the puck in-close.
I dunno Lance, the guy has been trending down for a couple of years now and wasn't good earlier on this season before his jaw got broken.

My biggest problem with Burrows is that he is a very similar player to Higgins and Hansen yet is paid twice as much. In this cap environment, that’s a tough contract.
It definitely is a tough contract when you look at his production. I think what he brings away from the goal scoring department is worth maybe 33% of his price tag, maybe a bit more, but no question, at that pay grade you need to see results. I also don't accept the excuse of the full shield getting in his way. At this level that can be a slight hindrance, but not to the extent that some are attributing to Bur's current struggles.

That being said, Daniel Sedin is about to be making $7M a year to play at a 20 goal pace, nobody is really making a whole bunch of noise about that.....at least none of the Burrows haters anyways. Daniel has played every game this year, he's had time to find a rhythm and get in a groove. He simply hasn't done it. But still, Dank continues to miss glorious chances, passes up others in favor of dishing to brother Henrik, and plays most of his game in the corner where he isn't even remotely a threat to put the puck in the net. At least Burrows takes the puck to the net when he has the chance, at least Burrows isn't the one late to the party when there is a scrum in front of the opponent's net for a rebound.

Daniel has one of the most accurate shots in the league, it's not really a hard shot, and his release isn't exactly awe-inspiring, but he needs to start picking the corners. Henrik looks more like he is actually shooting to score goals than Daniel. Every time I see Daniel pull the trigger from a scoring area it looks more like he is just trying to shoot for a rebound than to actually beat the goaltender. Burrows, for his part, is letting shots go that are missing the net.....because he is trying to beat the goaltender up high or to the side.

Our entire former first line is struggling this year, along with some of the supporting cast. I write this off to both a slump and a decline in their level of play that comes with age and a change in the game itself league-wide.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:It definitely is a tough contract when you look at his production. I think what he brings away from the goal scoring department is worth maybe 33% of his price tag, maybe a bit more, but no question, at that pay grade you need to see results. I also don't accept the excuse of the full shield getting in his way. At this level that can be a slight hindrance, but not to the extent that some are attributing to Bur's current struggles.

That being said, Daniel Sedin is about to be making $7M a year to play at a 20 goal pace, nobody is really making a whole bunch of noise about that.....at least none of the Burrows haters anyways. Daniel has played every game this year, he's had time to find a rhythm and get in a groove. He simply hasn't done it. But still, Dank continues to miss glorious chances, passes up others in favor of dishing to brother Henrik, and plays most of his game in the corner where he isn't even remotely a threat to put the puck in the net. At least Burrows takes the puck to the net when he has the chance, at least Burrows isn't the one late to the party when there is a scrum in front of the opponent's net for a rebound.

Daniel has one of the most accurate shots in the league, it's not really a hard shot, and his release isn't exactly awe-inspiring, but he needs to start picking the corners. Henrik looks more like he is actually shooting to score goals than Daniel. Every time I see Daniel pull the trigger from a scoring area it looks more like he is just trying to shoot for a rebound than to actually beat the goaltender. Burrows, for his part, is letting shots go that are missing the net.....because he is trying to beat the goaltender up high or to the side.

Our entire former first line is struggling this year, along with some of the supporting cast. I write this off to both a slump and a decline in their level of play that comes with age and a change in the game itself league-wide.
Both Daniel and Burrows seem to be heading in the wrong direction in a hurry to be sure. Daniel isn’t getting quality chances game in and game out like he has in the past. I’m sure some of that is because they are trying to play Torts’ system, but I’m sure some of that is regression as well.

I can swallow Daniel’s contract because he has still been a productive player offensively and it means we are able to keep Henrik around for a few more years while we try to find/develop the next wave of offensive talent. 5 on 5 Daniel has been fine as well, and his biggest drop off in production has been on the PP which just highlights further why the PP needs to get going.

Maybe Burrows and the Sedins can get it going again. I would certainly like them to. My concern is that we’re clinging onto the past a bit too tightly like we did with the WCE all those years ago. Burrows’ contract is a wasted $2M if he’s not scoring goals with the Sedins IMO.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I was vilified for wanting Burrows traded before he signed his current deal.

Once again I was right.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:I was vilified for wanting Burrows traded before he signed his current deal.

Once again I was right.
Oh no he will get it together he just isn't getting any bounces right now but he brings all the intangibles so it shouldn't matter if he gets ten points a year with 20 minutes a night icetime
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”