GDT:Jan 18. Calgary at Vancouver

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Re: GDT:Jan 18. Calgary at Vancouver

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I wonder if the Torts shenanigans was intentional to fire up the team? Rally the troops, take their thoughts away from their miserable play of late, just get them focused on playing the game again, etc. Maybe it worked, got the team back in the W column. :D
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote: I thought Healey was supposed to be fired too. Who's left?
Sportsnet exec's taking note! :thumbs:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I wonder if the Torts shenanigans was intentional to fire up the team? Rally the troops, take their thoughts away from their miserable play of late, just get them focused on playing the game again, etc. Maybe it worked, got the team back in the W column. :D
That would be a stroke of genius!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

That's a good win for the boys. They are struggling but they are coming together as a team under one hell of a leader. They still need to bring in someone else with some offensive power , get healthy, and get their confidence back (I know, a lot of "if's") but they can make some noise.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

mathonwy wrote:Have the Canucks ever played an entire game with only 4 defensemen?
Yeah, lots. Whenever Alberts and Edler are both in the lineup it's like having 4 defensemen. :P
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lancer wrote: Kassian looked pretty at home with Kesler. Still some work to be done but the kid has chops.
Kassian has some seriously underrated playmaking ability.

I would love to see a line of Kane-Kesler-Kassian.

That would be a very tough line to contain.....although Evander and Zack would have to work on their defensive game, but I think we have the coach who can help them in that regard.

Make it happen Gillis. Even if it costs us. :lol:
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Mëds wrote:
Lancer wrote: Kassian looked pretty at home with Kesler. Still some work to be done but the kid has chops.
Kassian has some seriously underrated playmaking ability.

I would love to see a line of Kane-Kesler-Kassian.

That would be a very tough line to contain.....although Evander and Zack would have to work on their defensive game, but I think we have the coach who can help them in that regard.

Make it happen Gillis. Even if it costs us. :lol:
The potential for line nicknames would be endless
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Totally agree with the Mëds vision - the ominous triple 'K' line! Not sure Gillis has the gonads to make it happen?
cc oldtimer
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

The opening faceoff shenanigans should see no further discipline. Cheap shot play by Hartly to start his goons but if Torts didn't respond with his, in his own building, he would have had some serious questions to answer.

I'm sure the league would like to fine both organizations for the fights off the opening whistle but there is no rule against starting your fourthlines . May have to trat out some sort of "conduct detrimental....."

For Hartly to stand there silently with a look of complete ignorance to the fire he started and then have an assistant making an excuse that the fourth line had scored a couple of games ago and earned the start is laughable.

I suspect a hefty fine for Tortorella and the Canucks for the hallway incident.

Clearly the Flames were targeting Canuck injuries and I do not have an issue with that. If you dress for a game,you best be able to take the punishment. No room for boys in bubbles out on the ice.

After all the bullshit, thank christ the Canucks won.

A couple of years ago I read mention of PJ replacing Coach's Corner when Don is done. Seems PJ heard it as well and is doing his best at becoming a senile old man.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

rats19 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Is Sestito out too?

Calgary down to 3 d men for a bit.
Him and mcgratton back..
Ok, a line brawl and the 2 biggest goons on the ice are the only 2 who DON'T get kicked out?
Any explanation for that? :crazy:
NHL logic?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Thank fuck we won. Losing to Cali teams is one thing, losing to Albertan teams is an entirely different thing. Very gritty win considering how banged up we are.

With almost a period in penalties, Kassian had 14 minutes of ice time over two periods and he absolutely thrived with so much ice time. Him and Kes had some good chemistry going on.

Lucky goal by Weber but we were due it. Too much bad luck has befallen our team in a very short amount of time.

Burr's hands of stone routine seems to have not gone away. Empty net to shoot into and couldn't coral the rolling puck. :(. Still it was good to see him on the ice and his puck handling is better then Booth, Hansen or Higgins.

Fucking Booth. Played a decent game but can't buy a goal.

Luo played a very good game and seems 100%. Bodes well for our team both the Canucks as well as for Canada.

Bob Hartley trolled the fuck outtta Torts and made him lose his god damned mind. That locker room shit was over the top (and entertaining). Still, I don't like seeing our coach melt down like that and I hope it was an on purpose thing versus losing control. That shit can't happen in the playoffs.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

rats19 wrote:Don't matter...fuck pj
What a piece of shit hypocrite that guy is. If he was playing in this game he'd be in that opening line brawl. Blames Torts 100%, screw him! What about the refs? If everyone on the planet knew what was going to happen all the refs had to do was warn the players & warn the coaches. They could have booted the coaches from the game if they wanted. Getting sick of these anti-Canucks tirades from a few of these announcers. Did Healy get in on it? Didn't catch that. LoL@PJ, Mr. Clean.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html

Among those ejected: poor, poor Kellain Lain, who was making his NHL debut in front of his family, who had flown out from Ontario.

UPDATE: Said Torts after the game, via Matt Lee:

"I see the starting lineup and I know the guy across the bench. I can't put our players at risk that way. I'm not proud of it. I've apologized to the players involved. My biggest mistake was putting Lain in the starting lineup. I thought my players responded tremendously. I don't want that in the game, but I have to protect my players too."

--

Ahh.. shitty for Kellain and his family. I think Torts feels really bad about that.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Gotta say, the way things are going lately I love this new direction. In fact, I'd like to see Gillis ramp it up a bit. Bring in Konopka for the 4th line perhaps. Start punishing the shit out of teams, the days of turning the other cheek are over bitches!

Next game I'd like to see Kassian break Giordano's face for punching at Burrows' head like that.

Anyone else see Burrows taunting SOB w/ the water bottle/drinking gestures. Glad to have him back. SOB is a total pussé.

Hopefully Lain gets another shot next game. 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A few things.

Torts explanation lets you know very well there was history there and he knew full well what Hartley was doing. But he got the line up before the game started and then had to submit his. Something tells me this started in the Canucks dressing room with perhaps a Torts sounding off about it. You could tell the way the players were not settling in to take the draw and especially Bieksa who seemed very agitated before he waived Lain out of the face off. So perhaps there is merit to the notion Torts used this as a tool while at the same time not really knowing what would happen. I thnk some of his anger was over his decision to start Lain.

It is clear Hartley was trying to send a message. And Torts did the right thing in starting his 4th line in response. There was a lot of trash talk and jostling going on before the puck dropped. To me it is a situation where the players for some reason went ape shit. All 10 of them. Perhaps a case of self fufilling prophecy?

On PJ, well he blasted the Sabres for having Scott and the other 4th liners out against the leaves Kessel line. Blamed the Sabres for gooning it up and called for suspensions there. He then blamed Carlyle for responding by putting the Kessel line out there. Said he never should have put his skilled players out there to risk injury and that Carlyle should have had his goons out in response. He then applauded Kessel's hack job saying he had a right to defend himself. He took the exact opposite view in this game tonight. Hartley could start whoever he wanted and it was up to Torts to respond by having his best players on the ice. The guy is a complete joke.

As to Torts going to the dressing room, big mistake. He crossed the line but no more than the shit Roy has gotten away with this season. Roy has been applauded by HNIC for sticking up for his team and sending a message. Double standard again. I loved how Torts said " all those pundits pissing and moaning about what went on obviously have no idea of what goes on in a dressing room" he also felt horrible for Lain and said he apologized to him for putting him in that situation. Said he'd do the same thing again if he had to except start someone other than Lain.

It is being reported that Torts has an in person meeting with the NHL on Monday. Wouldn't it be funny if he got a 5-10 games suspension and our PP went something like 90% :mrgreen:

I think Hartley gets a fine and Torts gets a couple of games. As it should be.

I love this Torts guy.
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:It is being reported that Torts has an in person meeting with the NHL on Monday. Wouldn't it be funny if he got a 5-10 games suspension and our PP went something like 90% :mrgreen:
Will only happen if Gulutzan is suspended as well. ;)

Gotta say, I'm loving Torts as well! By far my favourite coach since Quinn!

Bring on Konopka!