GDT:Jan 18. Calgary at Vancouver

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT:Jan 18. Calgary at Vancouver

Post by Benjo »

For the same reasons that Nolan wasn't given a penalty in the LA game before things escalated out of control. Gone are the referees that could feel the temperature of a game and act accordingly and now they seem to only react when things are past containment.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Benjo wrote:I'm not sure why JT is beating himself up so much over putting Lain out there.
Because it was his NHL debut and his parents had flown across the country to see him play. I don't think anyone doubts Lain can handle himself but Torts ended up being the Dad who came home forced the pull out 2 seconds after the cherry was popped. 1st time should be special.
Last edited by Topper on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:With Westgarth admitting they were put out there to "bring some energy" and saying Lain was challenged and willing to go I now understand why Bieksa was so agitated. It also shows how little other teams know about Lain. Ya, he is 6'6 but he isn't a goon. He is a projected 4th liner with perhaps 3rd line potential.

It seems obvious Westgarth challenged Lain before the puck was dropped and his intentions were clear. Hey, doesn't the ref drop the opening puck? Good opportunity for him to send a message too. With all the trash talk and threats before the puck was drop why not hand out a misconduct to Westgarth right at the start.

Anyone who knows anything knows Lain was not out there to mix it up or start a fight, it was his first NHL shift. Westgarth was trying to intimidate him and was going to try to use him as a punching bag. Good for Bieksa on that one. But as for the ref, why not give Westgarth ten right there and warn both benches?
Lain is a willing fighter in the AHL, my take on Bieksa was he was trying to manage Westgarth in the same way Nolan managed Sestito. Hence he moved Lain out of direct line of Westgarth and didn't drop his gloves while he he backed away.

Fraser outlines how he would have handled the situation in a Sunday Special on TSNs site. He would have gone back to the benches with each teams lineup and first offered Hartley the chance to change his lineup and then Tortorella a chance to respond while warning each coach that they faced eviction from the game if anything occurred on the opening draw.

While the officials may have handled it differently, it is their job to react to plays not create plays.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:^^^^ Actually RD dbr just nailed it out of the park and obliterated Mondi in the process. Post of the year so far.

Head on over to Bountiful. Some good reading over there as the Flames won all the fights according to them. Loved Kassian pounding the punk Bouma. :drink:
Exactly! Chicken (Shit) Little is the name of the game....it's all whine and very little constructive criticism...are we completely happy with our team? Hell No! But at least we are still in the running....I may be a glass-half-full homer (and asshole extraordinaire :mrgreen: ) but at least I don't piss people off with the constant mundane and extremely boring diatribe of how bad this team is.....there are a lot worse organizations that are going no where...are we moving up or down? That's the question and part of the fun...we can either give up and try to rebuild like the Blackhawks, the Sabres, the Oilers etc... did to get the #1 draft picks or we can continue to enjoy a team that has entertained us for a better part od 2 decades now....I reiterate....some on here FORGET just how bad is bad....1970-1990....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:
Mondi wrote:But come now, pointing out that the team is bad or struggling or declining or not showing signs that they might snap out of it is perfectly legitimate criticism. And, it does not make people non-fans.
Is that what RoyalDude is up to posting leaves player stats and publicly fellating the GMs of other teams? :lol:

The team's offensive production is awful right now and has been below average most of the year. The powerplay has been brutal and has been the subject of a lot of criticism here on this board by posters like Listercat (comes to mind because he wrote an excellent post on the subject quite recently) whose 'fan credentials' aren't being questioned by anyone. It's because he's not a god damned whiner which as rats points out gets old in a hurry.

And you can say "yeah they are injured but that doesn't," all you like but the fact is those injuries have hugely exacerbated the problem we already had which is not enough scoring depth, key scorers in some degree of decline and falling scoring in general.

To wit: since the league stopped calling obstruction (and particularly in this Conference) scoring has fallen markedly and while a player like Henrik still led the West in scoring his numbers have declined like everyone else. Since then (two years ago now) we've seen Daniel lose a lot of his finish and fall a step behind Henrik, and Alex Burrows has struggled as well (his goals/game fell slightly last year and this year obviously he's run completely dry, I don't it is permanent but I doubt he reaches his peak again either). So that's where we stand in general.

Now saddle our best player (Henrik) with one and then two moderately serious injuries and take Burrows out of the lineup completely and is it any wonder the line struggles to score? I mean who have they looked their best with since Burrows went out - Dalpe for one game? It's a brutal situation and that makes it imprudent to project their future performance (while healthy) from this most recent stretch.

(Despite all this they have still been middling at even strength - 17th in goals per 60 minutes of ES ice time - and their powerplay has been dragging them into the bottom third of the league.)

Anyway throw in an injury to the starting goaltender, a good defensemen, a few more forwards and it's little wonder this team looks badly underskilled. Because they were already underskilled and then lost a bunch of players forcing others to play over their heads.

As for the "we have a bad GM," "they are awful this season" stuff - are you surprised this is a bad year? Because that tells me you're not paying attention. Gillis spent what, $2-3m on free agents this offseason? And he got a top six forward and a middling third line center with that money. The fact that the team isn't doing worse is actually pretty remarkable.

If the team can't create enough flexibility to make significant improvements in the offseason, I will certainly question what's going on with management. But - and I've said this before, I'll say it again now even though people who want to believe the GM is incompetent will continue to do so regardless - it's not surprising that a team spending as much cap money as they were three seasons ago (and with remaining players eating up an additional 10% of the cap on extensions) has been unable to keep pace.

edit: and since you bring up Hodgson.. 10 goals at $4.5m vs. 9 goals at $870 000. You think Cody brings five times more utility than Kassian to the table? Tell us which $3.6m in salary you'd cut from this team to make swapping the two players back an improvement.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/12/03/fo ... ey-a-bully

Parker, the 6-foot-5, 240-lb. former NHL policeman whose nickname was ‘The Sheriff,’ had some disparaging words about Hartley regarding their time together in Denver.

“He was a junior B goalie trying to tell me how to fight. He was always just degrading me. Not to be a (wimp), but he was a bully,” Parker told the Denver Post. “And he could be because he was in a position of authority. What was I supposed to do as a rookie? Go tell him ‘(expletive) you’?

“I did that stuff at the end of my career, but at the beginning of my career, I was just a chess piece to him.”

Parker, who says he suffered 20 to 25 concussions during his nine year pro career, adds that on several occasions he was injured to the point he needed to go through a game without fighting to recover from previous bouts but was threatened with a trip to the team’s AHL affiliate Hershey Bears.

“He would call me a (expletive) and say that Hershey would be my next stop, where I’d be ‘smelling chocolate fumes all day long.’ I remember I thought I had a broken foot and told him about it, and he called me a (expletive) and said Hershey would love me,” Parker said. “Nobody needed to question my commitment to doing my job. But I was just constantly belittled by Bob Hartley.

“I really have no respect for the man.”

My roommate, a soft-spoken, funny but big-enough-to-be-an-enforcer teenager from the Lower Mainland whose name I’ve long forgotten, was sitting on the bench when the head coach quietly leaned forward and gave the instructions.

Sure enough, on the next shift, he dropped his gloves.

I can’t remember how my friend for an all-too brief time fared in that scrap, but I do know he didn’t want to just be a knuckle-chucker and hoped to be a power forward in the Cam Neely mould.

Still, he willingly did the tougher side of the job because it was an accepted part of the game in the 1980s.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Larry Goodenough wrote:I'm hearing suggestions Brian Burke strongly influenced the starting lineup as he's still stalking Aquilini and Gillis.
Just listened to the panel on TSN:

“To put the Sedins out there in that situation… because maybe they (Calgary goon squad) won’t attack them because that doesn’t happen much in the NHL… but maybe they will because you’re dealing with a Brian Burke team and Bob Hartley who is either following orders or trying to impress his boss.”

Bruce Arthur
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: I saw a Smid punch to Bieksa's face and then Bieksa falling. I hope I'm wrong
Well of course you're wrong.

You're ALWAYS wrong amirite? :mex:

Bieksa gave Smid a whoopin and then tripped over a stick on the ice....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:I yelled out loud for that Higgins goal! ha

feels like going through a wicked argument with your wife/gf and having a bitter victory.
Wait... you have a wife AND a girlfriend??

:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: The opening faceoff shenanigans should see no further discipline.

... I'm sure the league would like to fine both organizations for the fights off the opening whistle but there is no rule against starting your fourthlines . May have to trat out some sort of "conduct detrimental....."
Don't forget Sabres coach Rolston was fined $10K for "player selection and team conduct" in the preseason.

But then one never knows what these NHL clowns are going to do.

Topper wrote: I suspect a hefty fine for Tortorella and the Canucks for the hallway incident.
But then one never knows what these NHL clowns are going to do.

Topper wrote: After all the bullshit, thank Christ the canucks won.
Amen.

Topper wrote: A couple of years ago I read mention of PJ replacing Coach's Corner when Don is done. Seems PJ heard it as well and is doing his best at becoming a senile old man.
... right down to the clown suits. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: On PJ, well he blasted the Sabres for having Scott and the other 4th liners out against the leaves Kessel line. Blamed the Sabres for gooning it up and called for suspensions there. He then blamed Carlyle for responding by putting the Kessel line out there. Said he never should have put his skilled players out there to risk injury and that Carlyle should have had his goons out in response. He then applauded Kessel's hack job saying he had a right to defend himself. He took the exact opposite view in this game tonight. Hartley could start whoever he wanted and it was up to Torts to respond by having his best players on the ice. The guy is a complete joke.
WOW, couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbs:
Hockey Widow wrote: I love this Torts guy.
Ditto.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote: Ok, a line brawl and the 2 biggest goons on the ice are the only 2 who DON'T get kicked out?
Any explanation for that? :crazy:
NHL logic?
The first fight is allowed.

Any additional fights at the same time results in ejaculation... errr ejection.
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

They are creating monsters and an unsafe playing situation. I hold them accountable
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Ok, a line brawl and the 2 biggest goons on the ice are the only 2 who DON'T get kicked out?
Any explanation for that? :crazy:
NHL logic?
The first fight is allowed.

Any additional fights at the same time results in ejaculation... errr ejection.
LoL, oh ya. Did they flip a coin to determine who was first?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:
rats19 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Did Smid K.O. Bieksa? Please tell me I'm hallucinating?
I didn't see that...you find something ?

I saw a Smid punch to Bieksa's face and then Bieksa falling. I hope I'm wrong
You're partially wrong, he took a hit but stepped on stick at the same time. Looks to me thats why he fell backwards.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy