GDT: Vancouver @ Diver Central - 7:30PM SNET / FS-W

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Vancouver @ Diver Central - 7:30PM SNET / FS-W

Post by vic »

Topper wrote: Exactly what made it dumb. Nothing wrong with standing up for yourself however Kassian and Sestito crossed the line to stupid. Despite what Garret whined about all night, there was nothing wrong with Nolan's attempted hit on Henrik thus no need for any sort of retribution.

The good thing that came out of it is that a couple of 6 foot 195 lb players started playing like they are 6 foot 195 lb players.
Even Fraser called it a penalty
Tom Sestito only lasted a second on his first shift of the game for speed bagging Jordan Nolan who, by the way, should have been penalized for charging Henrik Sedin. A timely penalty call against Nolan would have been a perfect opportunity for the refs to send a message of their own in an effort to establish some control and to bring the temperature down early. It was a 'gift' handed to the men in stripes that was ultimately rejected! It became a constant uphill battle for them from that point in the game.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=441180
Despite what you think you know, Nolan's hit deserved a penalty more than the 12 minutes handed out to each of Kassian and Mitchell for their little pushing match in the corner.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: LA quietly let Vancouver play LA's style and waited for the mistakes to be made.
I prefer to believe your Vancouver Canucks are beginning to play Torts true style of hockey.
Topper wrote: There was nothing wrong with the Nolan attempted hit on Henrik and hence nothing for Nolan to answer to. Just a dumb move by Sestito. Dumber.
Disagree, given past history, it's part of Sestito's job to look for any excuse to pound Nolan... again.

Nolan agreed to fight Sestito and then turtled... who knew.

Nolan's dishonourable turtle act will come back to haunt him.

And he could have easily been called for charging if the ref felt so inclined.

Hell, the ref could have called him for unsportsmanship for agreeing to fight, then turtling! :D
Topper wrote: Brown answering vs Kesler. Honourable.
I prefer to believe Brownie thought fellow-merican-lympian Kessler would go easy on him.

He thought wrong. :mrgreen:

Your Vancouver Canucks aren’t “dumb” per se, it just takes a while to learn Torts style hockey.

At least that is what the Great Strangelove prefers to believe. :mex:

Last edited by Strangelove on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote: I don’t know what effect “sticking up for each other” will have over the long term.
HUGE
herb wrote: Sestito is an idiot, but maybe it’s OK having one or two of these guys in the lineup.
HUGE
herb wrote: Not sure why Nolan pussied out so hard on that one…he has fought Sestito before, after all.
Answered your own question.
herb wrote: Is Eddie Lack the real deal? He has exceeded everybody’s expectations and is approaching wildest dreams territory.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

For once in what seems a long time an interesting discussion. Did the Canucks play the King's game as Topper suggests or did they decide as a team to make a statement after the uninspired showing a week ago?

The previous game Luo faced 49 shots and was used for a trampoline by Brown and Nolan. It is apparent to me that the boys had a talk before the game about who they were going to warn about the cheap shot tactics the Kings are known for.
Nolan and Brown are the worst offenders and Dough Boy the biggest whiner.

Nolan's run at Henrik was indeed Charging along the same lines that Edler was suspended for. Only difference is Henrik managed to avoid most of the contact. Sestito's reaction is IMO no different than when I played. If you run our best players be prepared to pay the price. Nolan turtled. Kesler took matters into his own hands with Brown and that was great.

I loved Bieksa's work in Quick's kitchen on the PP. He had both Quick and Greene in fits. Too bad the rest of the Canucks did not recognize that and get shots through. The PP is too static and using 3 players out high is not spreading the D.

Dough Boy's cry baby antics after the slew foot by Wiese was classic. He had clearly interfered with Wiese.

The PK caused the Kings fits all night and the 7 minute kill was masterful.

I loved this game. It is the first time in a long time I've seen some emotion in their play.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Greene is being treated for a suspected concussion, reportedly. Apparently Bieksa's right did connect. :lol:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Strangelove wrote:
herb wrote: I don’t know what effect “sticking up for each other” will have over the long term.
HUGE
herb wrote: Sestito is an idiot, but maybe it’s OK having one or two of these guys in the lineup.
HUGE
herb wrote: Not sure why Nolan pussied out so hard on that one…he has fought Sestito before, after all.
herb wrote: Is Eddie Lack the real deal? He has exceeded everybody’s expectations and is approaching wildest dreams territory.
I tend to talk out loud. You are on fire today btw!

Being a pussy team in years past didn't work, so why not try the alternative I suppose.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

herb wrote:Greene is being treated for a suspected concussion, reportedly. Apparently Bieksa's right did connect. :lol:
People have been saying Bieksa has been picking his spots with other players the last couple of years. Methinks the other players have been picking their spots with him. :lol:

Greene picked WRONG! Couldna happened to a nicer guy. Nice ground'n'pound! Too bad he was just a 7th D plug.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I saw one strong physical team comfortably playing their style of game and another team labouring to do likewise.

Make a list of the assholes on the Kings, now make of of the assholes on the Canucks.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

People who point to the score and say that the way the Canucks tried to play was dumb or doomed to failure should consider this: If Hank is a couple inches to the right in the 1st period and/or Hamhuis doesn't get the puck bounce over his stick, what would the narrative be?
herb wrote:Being a pussy team in years past didn't work, so why not try the alternative I suppose.
In essence I think that is what Tortorella was brought in to change. Vigneault is great for coaching a skilled game, but his 'retaliate on the PP and the scoreboard' scheme only worked when the penalties were getting called and the PP had the players executing. Neither has happened for the past 3 years, so time to get with the times.

My only question - disgustingly the same as rectum-mouth Spector - does Vancouver have enough of the right horses to keep up with that style of play over the long haul?

Makes the likes of Kane, Ott and Matthias all the more necessary on the trade front - if Gillis can swing the right deal.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Topper wrote:Make a list of the assholes on the Kings, now make of of the assholes on the Canucks.
Hasn't that been a running theme this season - and even last one? Not enough assholes?

In the long run, don't know if they can keep it up but at least we know after last night that they can muster up the will to play in the trenches.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Lancer wrote:People who point to the score and say that the way the Canucks tried to play was dumb or doomed to failure should consider this: If Hank is a couple inches to the right in the 1st period and/or Hamhuis doesn't get the puck bounce over his stick, what would the narrative be?
Same could be said for Carter's chances.

That may be the style Torts wants to play, he doesn't have the personnel for it though.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Listercat wrote: I loved Bieksa's work in Quick's kitchen on the PP. He had both Quick and Greene in fits. Too bad the rest of the Canucks did not recognize that and get shots through. The PP is too static and using 3 players out high is not spreading the D.

Dough Boy's cry baby antics after the slew foot by Wiese was classic. He had clearly interfered with Wiese.

The PK caused the Kings fits all night and the 7 minute kill was masterful.

I loved this game. It is the first time in a long time I've seen some emotion in their play.
All of THIS.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I will admit, as much as the loss hurt, it was the most entertaining game this season. I loved the piss and vinegar approach. He'll even the twins were hitting all night. I don't know if I've ever seen a game like that, where the two of them hit all night long.

Kassian needs to learn to agitate better before dropping them and without getting misconducts. He was eager to go but had no takers. Loved his enthusiasm. Sestito did the right thing and the team respondd by killing off those penalties. Too bad he got tossed.

Loved how Bieksa made contact with Quick every chance he got. About time. Weise with two slew foots, not cool. I hate the slew foot, dangerous play but I loved the message he wad trying to send. Dough boy at his whining best. Looked like he got shot a couple of times and quick did a nice five on the Weisse play.

The refs lost control right from the start. As others have said, had they given Nokan a penalty on that play it would have been a different tone. He'll had they nabbed brown when he had his flying tackle on Luongo it may have been a different tone.

Our PP sucks do we need to respond this way. If we had a top five PP maybe we still turn a blind eye but we can't right now.

This was a Torts game. He gave the team a mandate, show it's your ice too, and the team responded. Losing the two points, LA getting the two hurts. It may cost us a top three finish in our division. We will stay make the playoffs. I predict this team effort will go a long way to seeing us get our swagger back.
The only HW the Canucks need
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

This was a statement game by the Canucks.

A confidence building statement about the Canucks ability to stand up for themselves, & kill good penalties, that will (hopefully) translate into a quicker responce when other teams take liberties. The next time the Canucks play in a chippy game, they should be better at it.

A statement to the Kings & other teams about physical consequences for taking liberties.

A statement to the zebras that there will be consequences when cheap shots on Canuck players, & attempts to injure, aren't called.

The two point weren't lost, they were invested.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….