Pittsburgh @ Vancouver 10:00 PM ET TSN,ROOT

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Pittsburgh @ Vancouver 10:00 PM ET TSN,ROOT

Post by Listercat »

Hossa was not a Hawks draft pick.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

5thhorseman wrote:On the plus side, Eddie "No Panic Attack" Lack made some great saves in the second to keep us in the game, though I'd fault him on the Pens 3rd.
I like it. Eddie Lack No Panic Attack Pack! :lol:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

are we even talking about the game anymore?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Reefer2 wrote:are we even talking about the game anymore?
No, but if they were. It would be the correct thread
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Listercat wrote:Hossa was not a Hawks draft pick.
Yup - neither was Sharp

Chicago won cups because they found the likes of Byfuglien, Hjalmarrson, Brouwer, and Bolland late in the draft, stole Sharp and Versteeg from other teams, and made some astute signings (Hossa, Sopel, Niemi, Campbell) to go along with getting Towes and Kane.

The notion they're a good team becuase they tanked and drafted high is laughable at best.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Give your head a shake Toddler
:D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote:are we even talking about the game anymore?
What game? :eh:

*kicks sand in Mondi's face, kicks sand in Toddler's face* :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Vader wrote:
Listercat wrote:Hossa was not a Hawks draft pick.
Yup - neither was Sharp

Chicago won cups because they found the likes of Byfuglien, Hjalmarrson, Brouwer, and Bolland late in the draft, stole Sharp and Versteeg from other teams, and made some astute signings (Hossa, Sopel, Niemi, Campbell) to go along with getting Towes and Kane.

The notion they're a good team becuase they tanked and drafted high is laughable at best.
Seabrook was a fairly high pick as well, not that it detracts from the overall point.

The only team you can even try to claim won entirely by virtue of its high end draft picks would be PIttsburgh (Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Staal) and while getting a player of Crosby's talent alone should be a once-in-a-lifetime thing for a given franchise ( :look: ) getting him right after a player like Malkin is just.. you can't plan on that.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:Exactly who do you consider to be the core of Chicago's team?

I'd say.....

Jonathan Toews (3rd overall)
Patrick Kane (1st overall)
Marian Hossa (12th overall)
Brent Seabrook (14th overall)
Duncan Keith (54th overall)
Patrick Sharp (95th overall)
Corey Crawford (52nd overall)
As others have pointed out Hossa wasn't a Hawks pick.

I don't consider mid round picks like Seabrook to be in "tank it" territory. Hell, we got Horvat without any need to tank it. Keith, Sharp, Crawford and others were astute later round picks and clearly not acquired because of tanking it. The Hawks are a great team due to fantastic overall management, astute trades and good FA signings - not a "tank it" philosophy.

As Dave said, what happened in Pittsburgh was highly unlikely, and it would be stupid to bank on that happening again.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:
Mëds wrote:Exactly who do you consider to be the core of Chicago's team?

I'd say.....

Jonathan Toews (3rd overall)
Patrick Kane (1st overall)
Marian Hossa (12th overall)
Brent Seabrook (14th overall)
Duncan Keith (54th overall)
Patrick Sharp (95th overall)
Corey Crawford (52nd overall)
As others have pointed out Hossa wasn't a Hawks pick.

I don't consider mid round picks like Seabrook to be in "tank it" territory. Hell, we got Horvat without any need to tank it. Keith, Sharp, Crawford and others were astute later round picks and clearly not acquired because of tanking it. The Hawks are a great team due to fantastic overall management, astute trades and good FA signings - not a "tank it" philosophy.

As Dave said, what happened in Pittsburgh was highly unlikely, and it would be stupid to bank on that happening again.
Right, wasn't thinking along the lines of just Hawks picks.....

Agreed on Pittsburgh, it's a big risk trying to rebuild exclusively through the draft. Edmonton has been trying for the better part of a decade now, or so it seems, and they are still spinning their wheels.

Current Oilers 1st round picks still on the roster...

Yakupov (2012 - 1st)
Nugent-Hopkins (2011 - 1st)
Hall (2010 - 1st)
Eberle (2008 - 22nd)
Gagner (2007 - 6th)
Dubnyk (2004 -14th)
Hemsky (2001 - 13th)

It's a bit of a stretch to include Hemsky as 2001 was technically before their current rebuild, but considering the overall state of the franchise and how long they have been a bottom feeding team, it could also be argued that the Oilers actually started the rebuild with Hemsky.....meaning they've been in rebuild mode for 13 years come this year's draft.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:Current Oilers 1st round picks still on the roster...

Yakupov (2012 - 1st)
Hall (2010 - 1st)
Eberle (2008 - 22nd)
Gagner (2007 - 6th)
Dubnyk (2004 -14th)
Hemsky (2001 - 13th)

It's a bit of a stretch to include Hemsky as 2001 was technically before their current rebuild, but considering the overall state of the franchise and how long they have been a bottom feeding team, it could also be argued that the Oilers actually started the rebuild with Hemsky.....meaning they've been in rebuild mode for 13 years come this year's draft.
The Islanders are kind of in the same boat. They got Tavares, but so far not much else in terms of real high end talent out of high draft picks.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:Dubnyk (2004 -14th)
Would've been pretty sweet to see them give up 7th overall and a couple of prospects just to get a do-over on this pick.. :lol:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote:Edmonton has been trying for the better part of a decade now, or so it seems, and they are still spinning their wheels.

Current Oilers 1st round picks still on the roster...

Yakupov (2012 - 1st)
Hall (2010 - 1st)
Eberle (2008 - 22nd)
Gagner (2007 - 6th)
Dubnyk (2004 -14th)
Hemsky (2001 - 13th)

Or since Gretzky moved to LA... :look:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Per wrote:
Mëds wrote:Edmonton has been trying for the better part of a decade now, or so it seems, and they are still spinning their wheels....
Or since Gretzky moved to LA... :look:
Or since the Moose moved on. After the cup win in 1990, two years after Gretzky was traded. :wink:
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

As far as I know, MG was not a GM (Synchronicity or what?) until the owners of our team went out and hired him. He has made some real stupid moves such as Booth for that kind of money, and letting go of Torres got rid of our only genuine asshole. However, on the job training seems to be paying off. I like Torts so far and I stress, so far! Santorelli, Stanton and Richardson have been good moves. I also like the fact we got the kid named Horvat in the draft although I think old Lou in NJ fleeced him a bit. We should have got more.

My point is simple. I think he is learning and it will be interesting to see what happens before the trade deadline as we badly need a scoring forward. However, the Perrys, Crosbys, Stamkos and Ovies of the world are not common. I imagine their expectation in management is to make the playoffs this year and shoot big for next year. If some of our kids step up, and we get a scorer for Edler (Kane anyone, Evander that is) we could be tough. We also are deep in net with Erikson (Sp?) and Cannata both coming along, so we have some hope yet. Who knows? Maybe he will surprise us and make a huge trade?