Pittsburgh @ Vancouver 10:00 PM ET TSN,ROOT

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: Pittsburgh @ Vancouver 10:00 PM ET TSN,ROOT

Post by 5thhorseman »

On the plus side, Eddie "No Panic Attack" Lack made some great saves in the second to keep us in the game, though I'd fault him on the Pens 3rd.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

5thhorseman wrote:On the plus side, Eddie "No Panic Attack" Lack made some great saves in the second to keep us in the game, though I'd fault him on the Pens 3rd.
Really? Perhaps you should blame Kesler for standing in the middle of nowhere screening Lack instead of blaming Lack.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jovocop wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:On the plus side, Eddie "No Panic Attack" Lack made some great saves in the second to keep us in the game, though I'd fault him on the Pens 3rd.
Really? Perhaps you should blame Kesler for standing in the middle of nowhere screening Lack instead of blaming Lack.
Bit of both.....the replay from behind the net shows Letang moving across the blueline to Lack's right, Kesler is providing a bit of a screen but he's pretty much in the high slot, Lack does a bit of a cheat and tries to look around Kesler to the right trying to anticipate Letang, the puck goes back to his left and he loses it behind Kesler. Kind of a weird screen, but Lack could have had that one.

And to be honest tonight was a classic example of why Marc-Andre Fleury was NOT invited to the Olympic team this year.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Wow, the choke-a-thon carries on.
I've never seen such lameness.

I don't know whats worse, outright sucking or blowing so many leads like this....so many THIRD PERIOD leads.
Who loses while up 2 w/ a minute to go?!? ....the game after losing a game in the final minute of the third and last .6 of a second in OT? If Torts doesn't have a drinking problem he may soon. Holy shitballs.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Man, hate to say it, but we choked. When u are up like 2 goals late in the game, u gotta finish her off. Another lead blown late in the game. Boy, in games like this, I think we really miss the veteran, defensive, faceoff savy of Manny.

One big possitive, gotta say, what a beaut by Kassassian. First, he knocks the puck out of the air, then he backhands it top shelf. Wow! That takes some serious skill. He made a really nice pass on the Tanev goal too.

I'm glad Torts is finally giving him a bigger role. Kass deserves it, he has been playing physical and showing some good finish. I think he was playing with Higgy-Kes most of the nite and they looked good. Would still luv to see him with the Sedins, but this is a good promotion to see what he can do on the 2nd line. One step at a time. :)
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

5thhorseman wrote:Put Sestito on the shootout!!!
*LOL*

He almost had a highlight reel goal too, when he tried to tuck it in and he kind of fell into the boards. Hope the big fella can keep it up. :D
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Someone better check Torts blood pressure, weak sauce game, all the Pens talent ruled the first period but they cooled off their jets and the Canucks beat Fleury with ease and took over in the 3rd.

Can see what a true QB dman can do for your team ie Letang, they help create so much scoring chances..

Anyways poor/sloppy defensive coverage in the end cost the team, got it to 6 minutes then 2 minutes left in the 3rd with a 2 goal lead, to just completely blow it with Letang finally converting one of his numerous scoring chances then the golden child catching a break on the side to tie up..

Still have the HATE/LIKE with casualkev which will never change while he's here, Juice really needs to play with the stable Hamhuis as he and Garrison are atrocious together.

Just some positives, Kassian has stepped his game up, thats about it. :D
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Boston Canucker wrote:I like Torts, and I did think it was time for AV to go last year, but AV's teams did not blow late leads like this. It was time for him to go, but it is amazing how often this team has coughed up 3rd period and very late leads this year, really it's amazing how many points they've given away like this. I think the players may be getting confused about the way to balance the Torts approach of safe is death and keep pushing the play with the need to clamp it down. AV clamped it down, drove us crazy many nights, but his Canucks teams were pretty good at holding leads.
Right now they are actually pretty close to last season. .789 leading after 2 this year and .783 leading after 2 last year. 15-2-2 vs. 18-2-3. 20nd league wide up from 24th league wide.

Most of the rest of AV's tenure they've been stellar - over .900 - although there are some uhh.. notable exceptions :look:
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Man, hate to say it, but we choked. When u are up like 2 goals late in the game, u gotta finish her off. Another lead blown late in the game. Boy, in games like this, I think we really miss the veteran, defensive, faceoff savy of Manny.
I'm not sure winning face-offs would've helped, certainly not after it was 4-3. We won that face-off, but then it went into our own end, at which point everyone got panicky. Eventually the pucks makes its way to an open man cos everyone is desparately scrambling around.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Arachnid wrote:Well g'night folks, I'm not gonna lose any more sleep tonight....
Fixed it
Fixed what?

What'd I miss? Who won? I will find out next game I guess.... :D

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Well, you can’t say that one wasn’t exciting! First complete game I have been able to watch in quite some time, and it was a good one.

Yes, they blew a lead late, but they also came back from two goals down, scored four in a row and played an excellent third period, except the final minutes or so of course. Considering they were playing their rookie back-up goalie, a handful of farmhands, and are clearly in a slump the result is not so bad. Most of us would have been thrilled with a SOL after the first two periods.

I don’t know what it is exactly, but I really don’t like Santorelli with the twins.

Speaking of Santorelli, is he regressing or what? He has 0 points in his last five games, playing primarily with the twins. On the bright side, he is still getting chances. Getting Burrows back this weekend will be a big boost.

Higgins and Kassian had monster games. This was probably Kassian’s best game I have seen. Smart plays, strong on the puck, moved his feet and some excellent passes (one to a wide open Sestito, who of course couldn’t handle it). Kassian’s goal was, of course, ridiculous and I love the subsequent celebration and helmet to Kassian’s nose which of course bloodied it.

Chris Higgins has been such a fine pick-up by Gillis it is ridiculous. Higgy has provided excellent second line production this season, not to mention excellent two-way play, at a bargain price. I love Kassian with Higgins because Chris is exactly the player Zack should emulate. Work your ass off, get to the scoring areas and shoot, shoot, shoot.

Screened up high or not, Lack had to have that third goal. He looked to be cheating a bit and basically just missed with the glove hand.

I was getting frustrated with Hansen last night, and then he made that absolutely beautiful 70 foot saucer pass to Higgins. My lawd that was nice.

Maybe one day I’ll figure out the point of Tom Sestito, but that day is not today. Nice job taking out Corrado’s stick when he was taking a slap shot last night there Tom, and please practice handling a pass cleanly before our next game. The boarding penalty for his hit on Letang in the third period was sick as well. At least he didn’t kick any of our own players in the god damn face this time.

I like Bieksa, but it is bit telling to me how much he misses Stanton. By all accounts Bieksa’s play has been borderline abysmal since Stanton went down to injury. Funny how important waiver wire pick-up Ryan Stanton has become!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Arachnid wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Well g'night folks, I'm not gonna lose any more sleep tonight....
Fixed it
Fixed what?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I added the word more to your sleep loss statement.....lol
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rats19 wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Fixed it
Fixed what?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I added the word more to your sleep loss statement.....lol
oh

hokay

tanx Mad Ratter....

I still didn't sleep well

Research application due today...I shouldn't even be posting :lol:

Who won? :P

Fixed It: Selfie Edit
Last edited by Arachnid on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

^^
Royaldude won...in a shootout.. We got 2 goals in 17 secs...then they did in 16 with just a minute or so left.... Took the best in the east to a shootout and no one is happy..go figure
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

rats19 wrote:^^
Royaldude won...in a shootout.. We got 2 goals in 17 secs...then they did in 16 with just a minute or so left.... Took the best in the east to a shootout and no one is happy..go figure
I am happy!

Like you said, we took the best in the east to a shootout (for the second time this season, I might add). Not to mention, we lost with 0.6 seconds left in OT to the best in the west Ducks who have been absolutely on fire to boot.

We are a beat up team and playing through a bit of a slump. Earning points against the best teams in the league is nothing to pout about, IMO.