GDT: January 4th - Canucks @ Kings 7pm CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: January 4th - Canucks @ Kings 7pm CBC

Post by Island Nucklehead »

sagebrush wrote:Edler may be the Canucks best option for a hockey trade that significantly improves two clubs.
The trade could also be the catalyst required to get Edler to the next level, although he may not see it that way.

He's frustrating to watch, because we've seen glimpses of his unrealized potential.
Generally, when a player realizes potential after a trade, the the team that traded him learns to regret it... see: Seguin, Tyler.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mondi wrote:Canucks are a soft team.
Tell that to Justin Williams. Sestito murdered him.

Mëds is shitting his pants over the Sedins... without Daniel we don't even score tonight. We need the Sedins.

What we really need is another guy who can carry a line. Kesler can't carry a line. He's not a first-liner. Look at Jeff Carter. Guy can turn a game on a shift. We don't have that. We need our Hossa/Sharp, our Carter/Williams. The Canucks (still) lack secondary scoring, and we won't be competitive until someone not named Sedin can create offense for us.

Glen Healey is a twat. He wouldn't know good shit if it railed up his nose. ;)
So you are OK with what the Sedins have done against the Sharks, Kings, Ducks, and Bruins over the last 2+ seasons? They have moments, but they aren't a consistent threat.....something your first line players should be.

They aren't fast enough to create effectively off of the rush and when they do get an odd-man chance the back-checking forward or defenseman often catches up.

Carter can turn a game on a shift? Only because he actually finishes a play that other people start. He's a pure goal scorer, it's a great talent to have, but you are really drinking the CBC Kool-Aid if you think he's a guy that carries a line.

Add a guy to Kesler and Santorelli who doesn't just play along the wall and you have a very good second line. I really hope Burrows can slot in there when he gets back, Higgins is too inconsistent and to me is just a slower but stronger version of Mason Raymond when it comes to games against teams like these.

In general the team plays too much perimeter hockey. The emergence of Kesler and Santorelli as a second line duo has shifted things, part of the Canucks problem as I said before is that they've been Sedinerized. Vigneault saw what the twins could do, and then wanted everyone to play like that so that the system was universal and the players could go up and down the lineup. In theory that's great, but when all you get is 4 Eminem lines going round the outside it becomes easy to shut down.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

sagebrush wrote:Edler may be the Canucks best option for a hockey trade that significantly improves two clubs.
The trade could also be the catalyst required to get Edler to the next level, although he may not see it that way.

He's frustrating to watch, because we've seen glimpses of his unrealized potential.
Yeah, he was fucking terrible out there tonight..... :eh:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mëds get your head out of your anus. The blueline is not fucking fine when it has to give icetime to Corrado and Weber while Torts pounds the shit out of the top guys. They are fucking gassed and can't handle a heavy forecheck and heavy pressure. Sure the forwards could be supporting them better but even if they were the d men fumble and bumble the puck too much and do not move it quickly atm. They did in the first period but then they failed to adjust to the Kings behemoths bearing down on them.

I laugh in the face of the clowns who want to dump Edler for nothing.
Point of clarification, were you originally saying that having Edler and Stanton back would make a difference, or just that the current top 4 are tired? If the former then sorry, agree to disagree. The Canucks can't match up to teams like the Kings. Torts even mentions that in his post game, he blamed the forwards and said our defense were under siege all night and the forwards didn't pressure enough on the forecheck.

Who suggested dumping Edler for nothing? I missed that one I guess.....

You want to see the problem with this team? Go watch the post-game interviews. Torts, Lou, and Kes, all say they have to play better and work harder, and that it's frustrating in games like this. Captain Henrik says he thinks the team played a decent 3rd period and that it's not frustrating to have games like this where they can't bury chances. The team needs to smack the "C" right off of his jersey and give it to a guy with a bit more emotion invested in winning.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: So you are OK with what the Sedins have done against the Sharks, Kings, Ducks, and Bruins over the last 2+ seasons? They have moments, but they aren't a consistent threat.....something your first line players should be.

They aren't fast enough to create effectively off of the rush and when they do get an odd-man chance the back-checking forward or defenseman often catches up.
It was a 2-1 game. If the Canucks scored another goal it could've been the empty netter going our way. You can't expect the Sedins to score PPG against the toughest defensive teams in hockey. Nobody on LA is a PPG, nobody on Boston is a PPG. The Sedins need help, the Canucks offense is too weak.
Carter can turn a game on a shift? Only because he actually finishes a play that other people start. He's a pure goal scorer, it's a great talent to have, but you are really drinking the CBC Kool-Aid if you think he's a guy that carries a line.
Jesus... Carter puts pucks in the net. Did that not finish the game, in one shift? That's the point. He doesn't need a Sedin, or a player X setting him up constantly. He needs a chance, and he finishes them. Garrison fucks up, puck in our net. THAT is what the Canucks need, another game-breaker on a separate line from the Sedins. If you think all we need is the Sedins to score 210 points/year you're fucked Mëds. Get realistic and use your brain.
Add a guy to Kesler and Santorelli who doesn't just play along the wall and you have a very good second line. I really hope Burrows can slot in there when he gets back, Higgins is too inconsistent and to me is just a slower but stronger version of Mason Raymond when it comes to games against teams like these.
LOL Mëds. You do realize Burrows (0 goals) is the slightly better version of Higgins you're seeking to avoid, right? He's a guy that battles well, goes to the open slots, and can grease out a goal. He's not a pure goal-scorer. Him/Higgins/Hansen/Kassian etc. etc. The Canucks have plenty of the middle-6 winger. They NEED a scorer.
In general the team plays too much perimeter hockey. The emergence of Kesler and Santorelli as a second line duo has shifted things, part of the Canucks problem as I said before is that they've been Sedinerized. Vigneault saw what the twins could do, and then wanted everyone to play like that so that the system was universal and the players could go up and down the lineup. In theory that's great, but when all you get is 4 Eminem lines going round the outside it becomes easy to shut down.
Torts has thrown that on its head. Everything is to the net now. Simple hockey wins. That's why Santo and Higgins have been so successful. It's not a hard system to master, but you need to capitalize on your chances.
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Post by RyanGinger »

They all got points, but Daniel, Henrik, and Kesler have been really off lately. The Sedins are on pace for under-70pt seasons, and Kesler got his first goal in ELEVEN games :!:
I hate to be so negative, but we don't have one single bonafide 30+ goal scorer. I'm fine with "Sharing the wealth", but when you're sharing 2 goals a game you're not gonna get far. Luo had one of his best games this season, while up front we reward him with another one-goal performance.

Gillis, go out and get us something good. Really good. Like Evander Kane good. Now.
22-33-17
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RyanGinger wrote: Gillis, go out and get us something good. Really good. Like Evander Kane good. Now.
Last full NHL season there were 30 30-goal scorers in the league. LA didn't have one, and they won the cup.

This season, Kesler could be a 30-goal guy, and he'd be in the top-25 of the league goal scoring.

Again, Boston, nor LA, appear on the top-goal-scorer list.

Get used to low-scoring and non-trophy seasons Canucks fans. Individual records don't matter for fuck. Your measurements are bunk. If you evaluate your successes on fantasy leagues you are truly fucked. It's all about the TEAM.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mondi wrote:No one is asking for a President's Trophy or a Richard winner, per se.

What they are saying is that the current group will lose in the playoffs in the first round without further offensive support. Only a HOMER would not admit that.
This has been the team for the past 3 seasons.

Nothing has changed and nothing will change.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I have faith......even if its stupid :baaa: :stupid:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:

Generally, when a player realizes potential after a trade, the the team that traded him learns to regret it... see: Seguin, Tyler.
Why does everyone keep talking about the Seguin trade as a fleecing for the Stars? Does Reilly Smith not exist? He's doing damn well this year with 15 goals and 32 points to Seguin's 21 goals and 41 points. Erikson hasn't done a thing given he's been injured about half the season, but the trade wasn't bad for boston.

As for the game last night, I only watched the third and the Nucks were dominated by a bigger team that was at home. It happens, the Kings are very good. We'll see what happens tonight against the best team in the league.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

The scoresheet was deceiving. If the Canucks had played the 2nd and 3rd periods like the first, it may have been a different situation. As it was, it looked like the Kings wore the Canucks down.

It's not like our guys don't have size, but it seems the only ones out there who had an inclination to hit were Bieksa and Sestito. Where was Kassian and Booth in this department (in Booth's case, any department)? As others have mentioned, who else besides Sestito dared initiate any contact on Quick?

I think part of the Sedins' problem last night was Hansen was on their line. If Burrows was there and anywhere near his form it would have been a different story. Hansen was just a clusterfuck out there.

Dustin Brown needs his head punched in, but if I was Luongo I would be asking my teammates to either mercilessly pummel the pukes who run him or do the same to the other tender. Torts has turned them around in the anti-pussification department but it's clear there's still more road to go there.

Am I the only one anticipating today's game against Anaheim with trepidation? :|
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Never mind.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Everything folks hate about Brown is what they wish Vancouver had more of.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Topper wrote:Everything folks hate about Brown is what they wish Vancouver had more of.
Not so.

Everything folks hate about Brown is the same kind of stuff fans of other teams have tried to level against the Canucks (cheap-shot artists, divers, cocky, arrogant, dangerous players, turtles in fights) for years and usually they had a target (Lapierre, Torres, etc). The difference is he plays for LA and is surrounded by bigger boys who can intimidate the opposition away from doing anything about it, so he gets played up like some kind of "stand-up guy who plays with his heart on his sleeve and gets a little carried away", while Vancouver's villains are just plain vilified.

What Vancouver needs more of are the Dwight Kings, Kyle Cliffords and Jordan Nolans. If Dustin played for Vancouver, he'd just be another heel for the Toronto media to hate.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.